Hydration

Syssitia : The communal & military mess of adult Spartan warriors

Moderator: Moderators

Hydration

Postby Cookie » Mon Jul 02, 2007 2:31 pm

Copy & paste....

Number 4 I found interesting....

More about hydration

The American College of Sports Medicine made the following recommendations for the amount of fluid that should be ingested in preparation for, during and after exercise or sports competition:

1.It is recommended that individuals consume a nutritionally balanced diet and drink adequate fluids during the 24 hour period before an event, especially during the period that includes the meal prior to exercise, to promote proper hydration before exercise or competition.

2.It is recommended that individuals drink about 500ml (about 17 ounces) of fluid about 2 hours before exercise to promote adequate hydration and allow time for excretion of excess ingested water.
During exercise, athletes should start drinking early and at regular intervals in an attempt to consume fluids at a rate sufficient to replace all the water lost through sweating (i.e. body weight loss), or consume the maximum amount that can be tolerated.

3.It is recommended that ingested fluids be cooler than ambient temperature (between 15 and 22 degrees Celsius / 59 and 72 degrees Fahrenheit) and flavoured to enhance palatability and promote fluid replacement. Fluids should be readily available and served in containers that allow adequate volumes to be ingested with ease and with minimal interruption of exercise.

4.Addition of proper amounts of carbohydrates and / or electrolytes to a fluid replacement solution is recommended for exercise events of duration greater than 1 hour since it does not significantly impair water delivery to the body and may enhance performance. During exercise lasting less than 1 hour, there is little evidence of physiological or physical performance differences between consuming a carbohydrate – electrolyte drink and plain water.

5.During intense exercise lasting longer than 1 hour, it is recommended that carbohydrates be ingested to maintain oxidation of carbohydrates and delay fatigue.

6.Inclusion of sodium in the re-hydration solution ingested during exercise lasting longer than 1 hour is recommended since it may be advantageous in enhancing palatability and promoting fluid retention.

As a coach, you should ensure that your athletes understand the importance of correct hydration and that they consume an appropriate level of liquids when training / competing.
"If you don't have conditioning it doesn't matter how big your muscles are they ain't gonna reach their full potential!"

21st century Takism

"wyrd bið ful aræd" Destiny is Everything
Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby samurai69 » Mon Jul 02, 2007 3:00 pm

one of my friends a captain in the marines here did tests on exercise and various drinks and some are total crap and some help speed up the process etc............. i do have some bits from my course regarding hydration

didnt we have a post or two about glycerine and hydration....??
Ephor - one of five powerful civil magistrates in Spartan government, elected annually by the Assembly.

"I thought I was hard done by, when I had no shoes, until I saw a man who had no feet"]

http://www.newspartangym.co.nr
samurai69
Ephor
Ephor

Postby Cookie » Mon Jul 02, 2007 3:17 pm

samurai69 wrote:one of my friends a captain in the marines here did tests on exercise and various drinks and some are total crap and some help speed up the process etc............. i do have some bits from my course regarding hydration

Well get them posted up then

Not 100% sure, but I have used glycerine in water a few times myself...
"If you don't have conditioning it doesn't matter how big your muscles are they ain't gonna reach their full potential!"

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby samurai69 » Mon Jul 02, 2007 3:28 pm

ONE SMART COOKIE wrote:
samurai69 wrote:one of my friends a captain in the marines here did tests on exercise and various drinks and some are total crap and some help speed up the process etc............. i do have some bits from my course regarding hydration

Well get them posted up then

Not 100% sure, but I have used glycerine in water a few times myself...

I am sure i read something when i was doing triathlons about the use of glycerine for water absorbtion...........i though we also talked about it on here, but may be wrong

did you use it through BBing comp training ??
Ephor - one of five powerful civil magistrates in Spartan government, elected annually by the Assembly.

"I thought I was hard done by, when I had no shoes, until I saw a man who had no feet"]

samurai69
Ephor
Ephor

Postby Cookie » Mon Jul 02, 2007 3:32 pm

samurai69 wrote:
I am sure i read something when i was doing triathlons about the use of glycerine for water absorbtion...........i though we also talked about it on here, but may be wrong

Yeah it can be used for water uptake but also as a diuretic...

did you use it through BBing comp training ??

No, did use it on a bulker some years ago with creatine to try and force more water into the muscles....

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Eric » Mon Jul 02, 2007 3:43 pm

Iv used glycerine in water a few years ago when dieting, am right in thinking it binds to the water? but cant remember exactly why i used it?
It was either to fill out the muscles or to drag the water out so as not hold water :?:

4.Addition of proper amounts of carbohydrates and / or electrolytes to a fluid replacement solution is recommended for exercise events of duration greater than 1 hour since it does not significantly impair water delivery to the body and may enhance performance. During exercise lasting less than 1 hour, there is little evidence of physiological or physical performance differences between consuming a carbohydrate – electrolyte drink and plain water.

Interesting that i always use water but have tried carb drinks and noticed no real benefit. I remember watching something on TV a few years back where they did a proper test on the drinks and found water with sodium to be best.
"go out in flames,don't go out any other way!"
Eric
Lochagos
Lochagos

Postby Eric » Mon Jul 02, 2007 3:44 pm

Just answered my question
Eric
Lochagos
Lochagos

Postby Cookie » Mon Jul 02, 2007 3:49 pm

TBH most carbo type preworkout drinks used to give me indifestion and bloating when I trained...

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Eric » Mon Jul 02, 2007 3:52 pm

I had problems with the ones with caffeine in them, 10mins later i'd have to run to the toilet (touching cloth):oops:
Eric
Lochagos
Lochagos

Postby samurai69 » Tue Jul 03, 2007 6:33 am

best to make your own drinks specific to the demand you put on the body

samurai69
Ephor
Ephor

Re: Hydration

Postby Takmaster » Tue Jul 03, 2007 7:13 am

ONE SMART COOKIE wrote:Copy & paste....

Number 4 I found interesting....

More about hydration

The American College of Sports Medicine made the following recommendations for the amount of fluid that should be ingested in preparation for, during and after exercise or sports competition:

1.It is recommended that individuals consume a nutritionally balanced diet and drink adequate fluids during the 24 hour period before an event, especially during the period that includes the meal prior to exercise, to promote proper hydration before exercise or competition.

2.It is recommended that individuals drink about 500ml (about 17 ounces) of fluid about 2 hours before exercise to promote adequate hydration and allow time for excretion of excess ingested water.
During exercise, athletes should start drinking early and at regular intervals in an attempt to consume fluids at a rate sufficient to replace all the water lost through sweating (i.e. body weight loss), or consume the maximum amount that can be tolerated.

3.It is recommended that ingested fluids be cooler than ambient temperature (between 15 and 22 degrees Celsius / 59 and 72 degrees Fahrenheit) and flavoured to enhance palatability and promote fluid replacement. Fluids should be readily available and served in containers that allow adequate volumes to be ingested with ease and with minimal interruption of exercise.

This is basically to continue a fuel source to the muscles once the glycogen stores have been blown. The addition of another compound to water willt ake slightly longer to absorb but more water will be absorbed in the process due t this slowing down.

5.During intense exercise lasting longer than 1 hour, it is recommended that carbohydrates be ingested to maintain oxidation of carbohydrates and delay fatigue.

Water is integral to the break down of Carbs.

6.Inclusion of sodium in the re-hydration solution ingested during exercise lasting longer than 1 hour is recommended since it may be advantageous in enhancing palatability and promoting fluid retention.

As a coach, you should ensure that your athletes understand the importance of correct hydration and that they consume an appropriate level of liquids when training / competing.

i think there is often confusion with Carbs etc for sprots fuels etc. What is most likely being refered to here are glucose polymers. something between a simple sugar and a complex carb so it long enought ot prevent to rapid absorption but no so big asit will be too long to breakdown.

Back in the day i would aim to rink 500ml-1L (Temp depending whilst cycling) of water and 2-3scoops a glucose polymer drink usually PSP22 or Maxim etc...........

Glycerine can be used when you know that it is going to be difficult to get water and it helps load it into your body. such as a time trial event in cycling etc
Takmaster
Ephor
Ephor

Postby Cookie » Tue Jul 03, 2007 3:05 pm

Interesting points Tak...

Got me thinking :-k

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Return to Nutrition