It is currently Thu May 09, 2024 7:11 am
Change font size

Nutrition

SUPPLEMENTS

Syssitia : The communal & military mess of adult Spartan warriors

Moderator: Moderators

SUPPLEMENTS

Postby spartanuk2007 » Sat Jul 28, 2007 12:29 pm

Just wondering what is the spartan's opinions on supplements, do u use them or do u see them as an unnatural practice???
spartanuk2007

Postby Brawan » Sat Jul 28, 2007 1:19 pm

Personally I use no-xplode before a work out and chase it with a high protein high carb shake afterwards,
Brawan
Neodamodeis
Neodamodeis

Postby Obessian » Sat Jul 28, 2007 1:46 pm

Whey protein shakes, very infrequently (maybe one every other day or so).

Unless you have no way of controlling your diet (low funds, crazy work/school hours, etc.) supplements are a waste of money IMO.
Obessian
Helot
Helot

Postby Brawan » Sat Jul 28, 2007 2:21 pm

Obessian wrote:Whey protein shakes, very infrequently (maybe one every other day or so).

Unless you have no way of controlling your diet (low funds, crazy work/school hours, etc.) supplements are a waste of money IMO.

I agree but alot of supps these days contain xtra's. Dont know if you have ever tried no-xplode but first time i did puked in the gym and had the shakes for a few hours. I now recommend it to friends (that they start at a lower dose) and it does give you a bit more oomph when lifting.
Brawan
Neodamodeis
Neodamodeis

Postby dunster » Sat Jul 28, 2007 3:59 pm

i find they help me, but i could get everything from just eating the right foods, but theres no point, its too difficult trying to work, work out, eat so much and sleep enough, and still have a bit of a social life. i dont really do anything during the week as it is except work, train and sleep so to try and eat so carefully is a no go area for me unfortunately
dunster
Lochagos
Lochagos

Re: SUPPLEMENTS

Postby Cookie » Sat Jul 28, 2007 6:26 pm

spartanuk2007 wrote:Just wondering what is the spartan's opinions on supplements, do u use them or do u see them as an unnatural practice???

I believe in doing all you can to get your diet right for you, then and only then if your not fully recoverying or are in a serious training phase for max lifts or competiton then they have their place..

So there are times that they are needed and times they are not, not good to use all the time...
"If you don't have conditioning it doesn't matter how big your muscles are they ain't gonna reach their full potential!"

21st century Takism

"wyrd bið ful aræd" Destiny is Everything
Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Ape4 » Sat Jul 28, 2007 7:25 pm

I take wheatgrass, is that a supplement?
Ape4
Enomotarch.
Enomotarch.

Postby Cookie » Sat Jul 28, 2007 7:37 pm

Ape4 wrote:I take wheatgrass, is that a supplement?

Some would say yes others no...

You could say if you are growing yourself then no it isn`t in a sense but if you are using the pre dried variaties some would say yes it is a supplement..

To say we do or do not need supplements is a bit of a grey area as the times we live in soil nutrients are very low, meat is not always feed correctly, our seas are polluted. So with that in mind some people would say use supplements to make up for what is not 100% perfect anymore in nature..
"If you don't have conditioning it doesn't matter how big your muscles are they ain't gonna reach their full potential!"

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Ape4 » Sat Jul 28, 2007 8:03 pm

Ohhhh, well, I buy it from people who grow it
Ape4
Enomotarch.
Enomotarch.

Postby Cookie » Sat Jul 28, 2007 8:06 pm

Ape4 wrote:Ohhhh, well, I buy it from people who grow it

Well try not to over think it...

If you feel it works for you then continue.

But like all things don`t use all the time, have regular breaks from it..

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Scott » Sat Jul 28, 2007 10:16 pm

moved this into the nutrition section.

Just wondering what is the spartan's opinions on supplements, do u use them or do u see them as an unnatural practice???

my approach to supps is quite simple. Ive found the majority to be a waste of time but I do like to have some protein powder / mrp in the kitchen just incase I either get caught out and Im unable to prepare a meal or if Im not 100% and cant face a meal.
but then again Im not a real spartan...... Im fae scotland ;-)
FIGHTING SOLVES EVERYTHING

Get Dropped But I'm Right Back In

Wendy Who Web Development
Scott
Dioscuri
Dioscuri

Re: SUPPLEMENTS

Postby Cookie » Sun Jul 29, 2007 6:21 am

spartanuk2007 wrote:Just wondering what is the spartan's opinions on supplements, do u use them or do u see them as an unnatural practice???

Forgot to ask this earlier....

I assume that if by saying its an "unnatural practise" your a follower of the spartan health regime program?

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Next

Return to Nutrition