It is currently Fri May 17, 2024 10:58 pm
Change font size

Nutrition

PSMF

Syssitia : The communal & military mess of adult Spartan warriors

Moderator: Moderators

PSMF

Postby Al » Mon Aug 06, 2007 5:40 pm

Has anyone tried a short term PSMF diet, and if so results?
Al
Banished

Re: PSMF

Postby Cookie » Mon Aug 06, 2007 6:27 pm

Al wrote:Has anyone tried a short term PSMF diet, and if so results?

Never heard of it :oops: :lol:
"If you don't have conditioning it doesn't matter how big your muscles are they ain't gonna reach their full potential!"

21st century Takism

"wyrd bið ful aræd" Destiny is Everything
Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Al » Mon Aug 06, 2007 6:45 pm

Protein sparing modified fast. My training partner used to use it to get ready for BB comps back in the late 70's. There's lots of info on web, but wanted to hear some (more) first hand accounts.

Sort of related topic: I was browsing through some BB forums and came across a few pix of a guy that used to train in my old gym. I've mentioned him before in previous posts. Started at 14 and grew week by week. Won loads, moved gyms but I met him a couple of years ago at a BBQ held by mutual friends. Nice, honest guy, married with kids but still an awesome physique as you can see! Now that's ripped!
Al
Banished

Postby Cookie » Mon Aug 06, 2007 6:55 pm

Al wrote:Protein sparing modified fast. My training partner used to use it to get ready for BB comps back in the late 70's. There's lots of info on web, but wanted to hear some (more) first hand accounts.

I`ll have to have a look into that as it doesn`t ring any bells straight away...

Sort of related topic: I was browsing through some BB forums and came across a few pix of a guy that used to train in my old gym. I've mentioned him before in previous posts. Started at 14 and grew week by week. Won loads, moved gyms but I met him a couple of years ago at a BBQ held by mutual friends. Nice, honest guy, married with kids but still an awesome physique as you can see! Now that's ripped!

That face looks familiar....!
"If you don't have conditioning it doesn't matter how big your muscles are they ain't gonna reach their full potential!"

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Al » Mon Aug 06, 2007 7:05 pm

Andy Polhill. NABBA Britain overall winner 2007
Al
Banished

Postby Scott » Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:17 pm

just had a look at some PSMF. it doesnt fook about does it :lol:
how long would your m8 be on it? dont suppose you know what his calorie intake was when he used it? I just seen some examples of the diet and amounts like 800cals were mentioned a few times but that was in relation to mobidly fat lads.

certainly didnt seem to do yer man any harm, looks proper big in that pic.
FIGHTING SOLVES EVERYTHING

Get Dropped But I'm Right Back In

Wendy Who Web Development
Scott
Dioscuri
Dioscuri

Postby Al » Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:16 am

I don't know if Andy (pictured) used it.

My training partner was on it for about 4 weeks before a contest but I couldn't tell you the number of calories etc.

It's not a diet you can stick to long term, but what about for a couple of weeks evry now and then with clean eating in between? I feel an experiment coming on. :!:
Al
Banished

Postby Scott » Tue Aug 07, 2007 3:05 pm

Al wrote: I feel an experiment coming on. :!:

excellent! go for it. I'd be interested to hear how you get on.
FIGHTING SOLVES EVERYTHING

Get Dropped But I'm Right Back In

Wendy Who Web Development
Scott
Dioscuri
Dioscuri

Postby Al » Mon Aug 13, 2007 6:45 pm

Day 4 of the experiment. It's not so much a "fast" as a shift from high carb to low carb eating with a bit more protein than I'm used to. Not counting the calories so I don't expect a fat loss, I'm "modifying the metabolic pathways" as DeVany puts it but shifting my body away from using sugar as a fuel to burning fat. Or that's the theory. Had carb cravings on Day 2 (dreamt of mashed potatoes) but today while doing the weekly shop the Green & Blacks dark chocolate stared at me for 10 minutes from the impulse counter and I didn't have to resist. There was no craving. My carbs come from dark green leafy veg, melons etc. No potatoes!!
The plan (we've always got plans haven't we?) is to stick with the Evolutionary Fitness/low carb plan for a couple of weeks until I'm in fat burning mode and then go on PSMF for a week or two to see what kind of condition I can get into. I'm getting on a bit and this body needs a kick up the backside.
Al
Banished

Postby Al » Mon Aug 13, 2007 7:39 pm

To take the guess work out of the diet I've ordered Ketostix to monitor the level of ketones. Ketones=burning fat.

Thursday nights I enjoy a few beers with my pal. I've bought in Michelob Ultra Low Carbohydrate Lager. Commited or what??? ;-)
Al
Banished

Postby Al » Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:56 am

Day 5 and I woke up with a strange taste in my mouth and it wasn't Alison. ;-) Pretty sure I'm into ketosis. Tastes like nail varnish (she doesn't wear nail varnish). Appetite suppressed as well, so breakfast was 3 scrambled eggs with seasoning (made from seeds and flowers of all things) and half a melon. Washed it all down with strong black coffee.

I don't usually document my diet, but this may come in useful if I want to look back and review my progress/lack of.
Al
Banished

Postby Cookie » Tue Aug 14, 2007 12:10 pm

Sounds like you`ve hit ketosis, I used to get a real tacky sticky feeling in the mouth and craved a lot of water due to the lack of carbs holding water in the body. Body temp used to rise also..

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Next

Return to Nutrition