It is currently Thu May 16, 2024 10:41 am
Change font size

Nutrition

Gout diet

Syssitia : The communal & military mess of adult Spartan warriors

Moderator: Moderators

Gout diet

Postby fits » Fri Sep 21, 2007 12:26 pm

Now, i may have gout. had the symptoms before bad a couple of times, had symptoms recently then they went then last night it was back witha bang! no warning , just woke up in the night with pain! aaaaaaaannny way. Blood tests didnt show any high Uric acid level but that doesn't mean it isn't gout. Going back to docs next week to no doubt be tld they dont know what it is. aaaaaaaaaaaany way. below is a list of foods i can and cant eat (if it is gout) so i would like some help building a diet with them

Food items to Avoid

1. mushrooms

2. offal foods (heart, kidneys, liver, tripet, tongue) *shame i was going to buy grandular tabs)

3. game meats

4. red meat

5. fish roe

6. mussels

7. sardines

8. anchovies

9. herring

10. mackerel

11. scallops and shrimp

12. sweetbreads

13. peas

14. spinach

15. lentils

16. beans

17. asparagus

18. alcohol

19. gravy

20. yeast

Food Items to Buy

1. rice

2. cherries

3. strawberries

4. raw fruits

5. cheese

6. white breads

7. seeds

8. nuts

9. cereals

10.vegetables
fits
Polemarch.
Polemarch.

Postby Cookie » Fri Sep 21, 2007 12:34 pm

I`m guessing that you have to avoid foods that take a lot of stomach acid to aid in digestion?
"If you don't have conditioning it doesn't matter how big your muscles are they ain't gonna reach their full potential!"

21st century Takism

"wyrd bið ful aræd" Destiny is Everything
Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Scott » Fri Sep 21, 2007 6:08 pm

man, thats a crappy list of foods that you CAN eat, matey. how are you gonna mange to get a decent amount of protein in?
Will you be able to use supplements?

I just looked up what gout actually is, fingers crossed its something way less shitty.
FIGHTING SOLVES EVERYTHING

Get Dropped But I'm Right Back In

Wendy Who Web Development
Scott
Dioscuri
Dioscuri

Postby samurai69 » Fri Sep 21, 2007 6:50 pm

Scott wrote:man, thats a crappy list of foods that you CAN eat, matey. how are you gonna mange to get a decent amount of protein in?
Will you be able to use supplements?

I just looked up what gout actually is, fingers crossed its something way less shitty.

he is going to eat cherry and strawberry cheescake sandwiches :oops: :cry:
Ephor - one of five powerful civil magistrates in Spartan government, elected annually by the Assembly.

"I thought I was hard done by, when I had no shoes, until I saw a man who had no feet"]

http://www.newspartangym.co.nr
samurai69
Ephor
Ephor

Postby fits » Fri Sep 21, 2007 9:49 pm

the thing is, a few weeks ago i was eating lots of lentils, red meat, drinking coffee etc all things i am not ment to do, and i was find. then i got a b, had the shits and couldn't eat properly for a few days then without warning it hit me. I wasn't drinking the amount of water that i normally do. I am thinking that perhaps the big clear out made me sensitive to these foods? maybe im taling shite lol.

A man at work's dad has gout and gets it bad. He takes a tablet every day for it but every now and then it comes back. If he eats lentils he is garunteed to be in pain the next day. I am going back to the docs but i doubt they will be able to suggest anything new but its worth a try.

Im siting hre now having taken my anti inflamatry tabs with foot in the air and i hope it goes down tomorrow! I will keep taking my protein powder, tuna, chicken and only have red meat from time to time. I was going to try a meat and eggs diet between now and my hols as an experiment but not sure thats a good idear now!
fits
Polemarch.
Polemarch.

Postby Cookie » Sat Sep 22, 2007 6:05 pm

Bet those gallons of coffee you`ve consumed each week aint done you much good :roll:
"If you don't have conditioning it doesn't matter how big your muscles are they ain't gonna reach their full potential!"

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Obessian » Sat Sep 22, 2007 7:04 pm

I read about it on the internet. Sounds pretty awful. How did you develop it, if you don't mind me asking?
Obessian
Helot
Helot

Postby fits » Sat Sep 22, 2007 7:24 pm

No idea. i had this a yew years ago. some times i get a pain start in my big toe then it spreads to the joint/side of the foot. It feels more like an injury and in the past i have put it down to possible bad form when dead lifting or calf raises, as it normally goes after a while. but the two times i got it real bad a few year ago, i dont think there was any warning.

Like this time, i went to bed, all ok, woke up early hours and it was sore. swollen toe joint. I got the anti inflamatory drugs the same day i woke up with the prob and today it seemed better. I have had a pot and a bit of coffee today, but then i went and done some weights and drove my nan down to he maket and i dont think that helped as its red and painful again now!!
fits
Polemarch.
Polemarch.

Postby Cookie » Sat Sep 22, 2007 7:27 pm

Time for a big clear out buddy...

Me thinks you need to re-alkaline your body....

Could be way too much acid floating around....

Either that or your just overpayed and eating too much RICH foods...

;-)

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby fits » Sat Sep 22, 2007 8:02 pm

i have cut carbs lately, maybe had too much rich stuff. It seemt the list of good foods is most of the shit i dont want to eat!!!!!!!! for dieting it might be ok but try getting strnger and growing on cherries strawberries and white bread :-(
fits
Polemarch.
Polemarch.

Postby fits » Tue Sep 25, 2007 10:05 am

cooffee may keep gout at bay!!! just read on a few web site

http://www.newscientist.com/article.ns? ... news_rss20

also its ment to be one of the worst pains a man can experiance so ill have some sympathy please LOL good news abotu coffee eh :grin: :grin:
fits
Polemarch.
Polemarch.

Postby fits » Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:23 am

Ok, just realised i didnt get any help lol thought gout would be gone by now so i would be back to eating what i like but its still here!!!! so here is another list from online so some advice with bulding a good diet would be apriciated. Im abotu 16st 2lbs i am dieting down to 15st 7lbs (then ill decide if i will loose more fat or starting training for size/stregnth)

Eat a diet that has at least 50% of calories as carbohydrates. Do this by eating 6 to 10 servings of bread or starchy foods, and 5 fruits and vegetables each day.

Also, eat a low fat diet to limit the amount your fat intake to 30% or less of your total calories. Ask your caregiver for the CareNotes™ handout about following a low fat diet.

Do NOT drink alcohol unless OK'd by your caregiver. Alcohol can cause gout to flare up.
LOW PURINE FOODS AND BEVERAGES: Eat or drink the following things as often as you like while following an eating plan for staying at a good body weight. You may also eat any other foods that are not on the medium and high purine food lists.

Breads and cereals: low fiber, white flour, or refined grain types

Coffee and tea

Cream-style soups made with low-fat milk

Eggs (limit to 3 to 4 per week)

Fruits and juices

Gelatin

Fats and oils in small amounts

Low-fat and fat-free cheeses

Milk: skim or 1% (limit to 24 ounces per day)

Nuts and peanut butter: limit if trying to lose weight

Pasta and macaroni

Soda pop

Soups made without meat extract or broth

Sugar, syrup, and other sweets in small amounts

Vegetables not on the lists above
MEDIUM PURINE FOODS: Eat only 1 serving per day of these items when your gout is under control. Avoid them when your gout is flaring up. A serving of meat, fish, or poultry is 2 to 3 ounces cooked. A serving of vegetables is 1/2 cup. A serving of liquids is 1 cup.

Asparagus

Beef, lamb, pork, and other red meats not on the high purine list above

Broth, consomme, and bouillon, or soups made with meat or poultry stock

Cauliflower

Dried beans, peas, lentils

Fish and shellfish not on the high purine list above

Fresh beans and peas

Meat soups, broths, gravies

Mushrooms

Oats and oatmeal

Poultry foods not on the high purine list above

Spinach

Wheat germ and bran

Whole grain foods

Yeast: all types
HIGH PURINE FOODS: Avoid these foods all of the time.Anchovies

Broths, boullions, and consommes

Caviar or roe

Game meats, like goose, duck, and partridge

Gravies

Some fishes, like herring and mackerel

Meat extracts

Mincemeat

Organ meats: brains, heart, kidney, liver, sweetbreads

Sardines

Scallops and mussels
CALL YOUR CAREGIVER IF:

You have questions about the serving sizes on this diet.

You have questions about how to prepare or cook foods on this diet.

You have questions about how or where to buy foods on this diet.

You have questions or concerns about your illness, medicine, or this diet.
CARE AGREEMENT:

You have the right to help plan your care. To help with this plan, you must learn about your diet. You can then discuss treatment options with your caregivers. Work with them to decide what care may be used to treat you. You always have the right to refuse treatment.
fits
Polemarch.
Polemarch.

Next

Return to Nutrition