It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 12:21 am
Change font size

Nutrition

This might be a stupid question

Syssitia : The communal & military mess of adult Spartan warriors

Moderator: Moderators

Postby Scott » Tue Jan 22, 2008 5:16 pm

thats pretty cool. didnt know about that place, cant really imagine a herd of buffalo roamin about fife :shock: sounds mad!
might get some stuff myself. buffalo steak sounds well 'ard and manly :twisted:
FIGHTING SOLVES EVERYTHING

Get Dropped But I'm Right Back In

Wendy Who Web Development
Scott
Dioscuri
Dioscuri

Postby Cookie » Tue Jan 22, 2008 5:35 pm

Scott wrote:

thats pretty cool. didnt know about that place, cant really imagine a herd of buffalo roamin about fife :shock: sounds mad!
might get some stuff myself. buffalo steak sounds well 'ard and manly :twisted:

Buffalo is nice buddy, I`ve had it before..

Also, aligator, ostrich, kangeroo and some other stuff...
"If you don't have conditioning it doesn't matter how big your muscles are they ain't gonna reach their full potential!"

21st century Takism

"wyrd bið ful aræd" Destiny is Everything
Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Al » Tue Jan 22, 2008 5:48 pm

There's a restaurant in Edinburgh, can't recall its name, but they did all that weird stuff. Shark, ostrich, yak etc. The recipes were written on the wall and the ingredients laid out on a long table. You made up your own dish and took it over to the chef who had this big fuck off hotplate. he took your bowl off you and emptied it onto the hotplate to cook. when it was done he'd scrape it into a clean bowl and you took it back to your able. Had as many goes as you wanted. It was near the red a light district 'cause I nearly stopped off for pudding on the way home :grin:
Al
Banished

Postby Scott » Tue Jan 22, 2008 7:27 pm

How come I keep reading that going more than 3 (maybe 4) hours without food is bad as you go all catabolic?
so then if you fasted for 2 days then wouldnt the metabolism just slow down, maybe use muscle for fuel and then store the next meal(s) (when you stopped fasting) as fat because it thinks theres a famine situation happening?

Scott
Dioscuri
Dioscuri

Postby Al » Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:02 pm

I always look at things from the evolutionary perspective to see if they make sense.

3 or 4 hours without food and you start going catabolic? What about a good nights sleep? How would an animal survive if it got weaker not long after it killed and had its last meal? Propoganda spewed out by the supplement companies to get you feeding on their meal replacement bars & protein shakes.

The fasting that IF advocates doesn't last for days, maybe 18 hours or so and that includes an overnights sleep, so say from 6 in the evening to noon the next day. EF diet in low in simple carb and the followers are in ketosis most of the time. When they go hungry, they burn fat.

I like to use this analogy when it comes to dieting. You are in a house with no windows or doors. It has several rooms all warmed by radiators. A big furnace roars away in the basement. It's your job to keep it stoked and the house warm. Coal is fed down a chute to you 3 times a day. You shovel it into the furnace and stockpile any extra. (You see where I'm going, 3 meals a day and save excess as fat). OK, one time nothing comes down the chute. The fire is going out but it's your job to keep the house at an optimum temperature. What do you do?

a)Take coal from the stockpile
b)Turn the radiators down a bit so they don't need as much heat?

If you always chose a) the you'd soon run out of fuel if no coal appeared for a while. The house goes cold. You lose.

If you always chose b) the the house would be cooler than it should be. In real terms it means the bodies metabolism is running slower than it should be, compromising its survival but at least it is ticking over.

Evolution stokes the fire for a short while before turning down the radiators. Your body doesn't known when it'd going to get its next meal even if its been fed 3 squares a day all its life. Missing the odd meal is fine. See Art DeVanys website and search for Super Mike. He doesn't look wasted to me despite going hungry twice a week :grin:
Al
Banished

Postby Scott » Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:16 am

bearing in mind that Im just putting forward the stuff Ive been told ;-) Isnt it accepted in the pro 'eat every 3 hrs' camp that during the night you will go catabolic and you either wake up through the night and eat or just take it on the chin as you have to sleep so I think the approach is to eat slow digesting meals at night coupled with the body slowing down (you would think) to try and see you though.
I like the house analogy :lol: what if you cant turn the radiators down yourself and its an automatic procedure that happens when you dont put as much coal in. then you suddenly get more coal availible but coz the radiators are running at half you dont use as much coal so it stockpiles until the radiators get back up to normal but by that time you've already accumulated a big pile of coal :grin: y'know what I mean... how can you affect the speed of your metabolism directly, doesnt it just happen as a reaction to something.

didnt know the fasting included sleep and doesnt really sound that bad when you spell it out but could it not be said that the approach works inspite of fasting or essentially missing 2 or 3 meals.

Scott
Dioscuri
Dioscuri

Postby Cheesedog » Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:18 am

If you guys are intersted in IF go over to the Catalyst Athletics forums, there are a bunch of dedicated and intelligent IF'ers over there.
Spartan is the attitude, not your birthplace.
Cheesedog
Helot
Helot

Postby Al » Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:13 am

I know what you're saying, and I'm just repeating what I've read as well. It could be argued that what we're trying to do (build excessive muscle and use very heavy weights) is an unnatural stress to put the body under so it requires unnatural eating & supplementation. Can't argue with that. In fact ol' Art says powerlifting is anti-EF and not good for you etc etc. Won't try to argue with that. He's putting forward a model of exercise & eating that's in line with our evolutionary blueprint as he puts it. The result is a lean, muscular, healthy body but NOT to the extent that we're aiming for. Not bodybuilder or strength athlete.
I would guess that the further away from the evolutionary blueprint you stray the greater the health implications.
Al
Banished

Postby Al » Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:02 am

Oh and thanks for the link Cheesedog, checking out their recipes.
Al
Banished

Postby Scott » Wed Jan 23, 2008 11:29 am

Al wrote:I know what you're saying, and I'm just repeating what I've read as well. It could be argued that what we're trying to do (build excessive muscle and use very heavy weights) is an unnatural stress to put the body under so it requires unnatural eating & supplementation. Can't argue with that. In fact ol' Art says powerlifting is anti-EF and not good for you etc etc. Won't try to argue with that. He's putting forward a model of exercise & eating that's in line with our evolutionary blueprint as he puts it. The result is a lean, muscular, healthy body but NOT to the extent that we're aiming for. Not bodybuilder or strength athlete.
I would guess that the further away from the evolutionary blueprint you stray the greater the health implications.

Its really interesting. different way of thinking to what Im used to. I like the idea of looking back at what our ancestors would have eaten though coz I'll wager there werent too many of them dropping dead from heart disease or wandering around morbidly obese.

Scott
Dioscuri
Dioscuri

ER IF info

Postby jrladrun » Wed Jan 23, 2008 6:17 pm

thanks everyone esp. Al for the info. I'm rather new the OSC and Spartan way, so all info is handy.
JR
WITH YOUR SHIELD OR ON IT!!!!
jrladrun
Helot
Helot

Red meat with green attitude

Postby Al » Fri Jan 25, 2008 6:44 pm

Update on the buffalo meat. There was a mix up with the online ordering, so I placed the order by phone and it arrived today. Had a couple of buffalo burgers tonight and they were good: real meat, no gritty crap in them. Still a steak pie and breakfast sausages to work my way through. They deliver to your door if local or by courier if not. Menu that arrived with the order appeared to be more than displayed on website. How does half a lamb sound for £55?
Al
Banished

PreviousNext

Return to Nutrition