It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:40 pm
Change font size

Nutrition

Butter VS Margarine

Syssitia : The communal & military mess of adult Spartan warriors

Moderator: Moderators

Butter VS Margarine

Postby Musky » Tue Jan 15, 2008 5:28 pm

Began reading some stuff about how Butter is better becuase it doesn't contain trans fats, which are actualy worse for you than cholestrol (obviously cholestrol must be controlled too)

It sound very similiar to the "uhhhhhhh low fat it must be good for me" thing.

Anybody with more of a head for nutritrion than me have a take on it?
Musky
Helot
Helot

Postby Cookie » Tue Jan 15, 2008 5:29 pm

I always looked at it like this....

Stick a tub of marg outside and a block of butter and see which one the bugs will eat...
"If you don't have conditioning it doesn't matter how big your muscles are they ain't gonna reach their full potential!"

21st century Takism

"wyrd bið ful aræd" Destiny is Everything
Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Musky » Tue Jan 15, 2008 5:36 pm

haha here we go again then, im getting seriously laughed at my all my family for my attention to nutrition detail.
Still they all cant understand why they can't lose weight even when they eat so little.
BECUASE WHAT THEY EAT IS CRAP CARBS AND THEIR BODY HOLDS ONTO IT BECUASE ITS STARVING.

I now get told to shut up if I talk about diet.
Musky
Helot
Helot

Postby Cookie » Tue Jan 15, 2008 7:04 pm

Musky wrote:haha here we go again then, im getting seriously laughed at my all my family for my attention to nutrition detail.
Still they all cant understand why they can't lose weight even when they eat so little.
BECUASE WHAT THEY EAT IS CRAP CARBS AND THEIR BODY HOLDS ONTO IT BECUASE ITS STARVING.

I now get told to shut up if I talk about diet.

LOL.....

Most people don`t have enough fats in their diets, so overly rely on carbs which constantly stimulate insulin secretion which inturn turns all those lovely sugars to fat...
"If you don't have conditioning it doesn't matter how big your muscles are they ain't gonna reach their full potential!"

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby HairyGaul » Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:38 pm

Well it's true that butter is better for you than margarine but is that really saying much? If I'm cooking and a recipe calls for butter I use the same amount of olive oil. It's a better fat. You can use it to sautee and pan fry stuff and get better results than butter.
HairyGaul
Neodamodeis
Neodamodeis

Postby Cheesedog » Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:58 am

ONE SMART COOKIE wrote:I always looked at it like this....

Stick a tub of marg outside and a block of butter and see which one the bugs will eat...

Amazing isn't it? I did this experiment several years ago, the margarine sat outside for MONTHS before it finally dissolved! NOTHING would touch it. Sometimes animals are smarter than people.
Spartan is the attitude, not your birthplace.
Cheesedog
Helot
Helot

Postby Cookie » Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:48 pm

Cheesedog wrote:

Amazing isn't it? I did this experiment several years ago, the margarine sat outside for MONTHS before it finally dissolved! NOTHING would touch it. Sometimes animals are smarter than people.

I think just about anything is smarter than us humans in this day and age..

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby lil john » Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:18 pm

ONE SMART COOKIE wrote:
Cheesedog wrote:

I think just about anything is smarter than us humans in this day and age..

so true :???:
in a day and age where we stand in front of the tv, sorry sit. the state of the nation/ world is shocking, ok im not the fittest but at least im healthy in what i eat and do.
Rebuilding the BEAR
lil john
Ephor
Ephor

Re: Butter VS Margarine

Postby oldschoolllion » Wed Jan 16, 2008 6:49 pm

Musky wrote:Began reading some stuff about how Butter is better becuase it doesn't contain trans fats, which are actualy worse for you than cholestrol (obviously cholestrol must be controlled too)

thats being questioned as well. how many vegans test over 240 for cholesterol and do not consume any yet a number of omnivores such as myself who actually eat red meat and the yolk of eggs (shock :roll:) test under 190 with respectable levels of 'good' cholesterol. you cant just read studies, but also look into the set up and how it was conducted. a number of studies have been questionable at best, and others just plain bad and in no way scientific (not just the cholesterol studies, im refering to all). im short i=on time right now, but was there not a section of the framingham report that stated that those over 47 who artificially lowered their cholesterol increased their chance of heart disease by 11% per 1 point dropped? yet doctors prescribe statins like candy. like cookie said, animals still have there instincts. ours have been stripped to save a dollar. how many people with horrendous diets on 'you are what you eat' said they eat what they do because they believe its cheaper? she makes tehm realise that if you stick to natural foods you will get what you need and not want to eat as much as you did and get large.
oldschoolllion
Helot
Helot

Postby Al » Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:11 pm

I agree totally, but I don't think it's our instincts that have been stripped but that manufacturers have taken advantage of them.

Back in the good ol' days of hunting and gathering we evolved to thrive (or at least survive) on the food we found aroud us. Sweet taste meant the fruit was ripe, fatty meat was full of calories. Stuff that we needed. No diets required back then. When we started keeping animals and sowing crops our basic cravings didn't change and haven't changed since. It's been too short a time in evolutionary terms for that to happen. So we've selectively bred animals according to their taste. If farmer "A" breeds dry,lean meat and farmer "B" fattier, tastier meat, then we buy from farmer "B", "A" goes out of business and so on. Fast forward to todays fast food and you can see the same trends. I don't see todays overweight people as lazy or greedy; they're just giving into their own instincts with not much thought for their health. It's the food industry, and it is an industry that's got to take a large part of the blame, but the responsibilty lies with the individual for their own well health. Let evolution take its course and see who survives this fast food boom. It hasn't been around for more than a couple of generations.

Have a look at www.marksdailyapple.com for another perspective on the dairy/agra/pharm industries. You'll soon learn to look at food commercials in a whole different way.
Al
Banished

Postby Takmaster » Wed Jan 16, 2008 8:30 pm

I thought this was gonna be a fighrt question.

money is on the butter, they train with the tree ya know
Takmaster
Ephor
Ephor

Postby firebear369 » Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:50 pm

A friend of mine posted this on MySpace.

BUTTER VS. MARGARINE...

Margarine was originally manufactured to fatten turkeys. When it killed the turkeys, the people who had put all the money into the research wanted a payback so they put their heads together to figure out what to do to with this product to get their money back. It was a white substance with no food appeal so they added the yellow coloring and sold it to people to use
in place of butter. How do you like it? They have come our with the same clever new flavorings.

DO YOU KNOW....the differnece between margarine and butter?

Read on to the end. it gets very interesting!
Both have the same amount of calories.

Butter is slightly higher in saturated fats @ 8 grams compared to 5 grams.
Eating margarine can increase heart disease in women by 53% over eating the same amount of butter, according to he recent Harvard Medical Study.
Eating butter increases absorption of many other nutrients in other foods.
Butter has many nutritional benefits & margarine has a few because they are added! Butter tastes much better then margarine and it can enhance the flavors of other foods. Butter has been around for centuries, margarine has been around for 100 years.

And now, for margarine...
Very high in trans fatty acids.
Triple risk of coronary heart disease.
Increase total cholesterol and LDL {bad cholesterol}.
It lowers HDL cholesterl {good cholesterol}.
Increases the risk of cancers up to five times.
Lowers quality of breast milk.
Decreases immune response.

And here's the most disturbng fact...Heres the part that is most interesting...
Margarine is but ONE MOLECULE away from being PLASTIC!!

This fact alone was enough to have me avoiding margarine for life and anything else that is hydrogenated {this means hydrogen is added, changing the molecular structure of the substance}.

You can try this yourself...

Purchase a tub of maragrine and leave it in your garage or shaded area.
Within a couple of days you will note a couple things:
~No flies, not even those pesky fruit flies will go near it. {that should tell you something}
~It does not rot or smell differently because it has no nutritional value;
~Nothing will grow in it;
~Even those teeny weeny microorganisms will not find a home to grow

WHY?
Because its nearly PLASTIC!
Would you melt your Tupperware and spread that on your toast?
nosce te ipsum
firebear369
Lochagos
Lochagos

Next

Return to Nutrition