It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 11:24 am
Change font size

Nutrition

Starting supplementation, yay or nay?

Syssitia : The communal & military mess of adult Spartan warriors

Moderator: Moderators

Starting supplementation, yay or nay?

Postby jamesy101 » Wed Feb 20, 2008 9:07 pm

Hi, I don't really know whether or not to start supplementing my diet with some sort of extra protein source. Essentially my goal is to get bigger and stronger. I know that supplements do exactly what they say on the tin and supplement your diet and that nothing will work without sufficient work and rest.

My main concern is, am I too young at 16 to be adding things? Maybe I am being overly concerned but I don't mind waiting longer for results if it means a healthier life later on. Thanks a lot guys, James.
jamesy101
Helot
Helot

Postby Cookie » Thu Feb 21, 2008 4:43 pm

I think people will need to see a weeks worth of what you eat to make any sort of judgement on what changes you need to make..
"If you don't have conditioning it doesn't matter how big your muscles are they ain't gonna reach their full potential!"

21st century Takism

"wyrd bið ful aræd" Destiny is Everything
Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby HairyGaul » Sat Feb 23, 2008 12:06 am

You also don't mention what supplements your thinking about. What type, what results you hope for, what results you're seeing now, etc. Give us some more info and we'll give you opinion.
HairyGaul
Neodamodeis
Neodamodeis

Postby OORAHluke » Tue Feb 26, 2008 3:46 pm

I am not a doctor but Iwould say hold off on taking anything for a few years.

You are 16 years old!!!! If you are eating healthy then add more healthy food to your diet. Maybe eat more meals a day between 5-7. Make each meal smaller, but make the overall amount per day more than usual.

if you go to www.fitday.com you can plug in what you eat and how much and it will tell you the amount of fat and protein and so on in everything.

^^You can even estimate how many calories you burn a day.

If you are not eating healthy already then START NOW and do that for a while before you jump on suppliments.

Just my $0.02 :smile:
OORAHluke

Postby jamesy101 » Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:04 pm

Yeah, my idea was that I'd try to make sure I ate healthily for a while and then started when I am older. My reasoning was that if I could build up a fairly solid "base" and also have a good diet then supplements would push me a bit further. Tbh I already knew the answer I expected to this question but wanted to know whether they'd be a good idea. Thanks folks!
jamesy101
Helot
Helot

Return to Nutrition