It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 1:20 pm
Change font size

Nutrition

Forgotten Diets

Syssitia : The communal & military mess of adult Spartan warriors

Moderator: Moderators

Postby Cookie » Mon Mar 31, 2008 7:24 am

jamesy101 wrote:I remember hearing about the malnutrition before the first world war, some of the pictures of the recruits were actually quite scary.

On the "wonder diet" culture, people don't seem to realise that miraculous discoveries hardly ever happen and when they do EVERYONE will be using them, not just some 30p weekly magazine who are preying on their personal insecurities. It's very true that nothing worth having in life is easy and people need to remember that.

I think one of the main problems other than people being lazy & gluttonous, is that the *industyr* makes everything on one hand sems so easy (miracle diets etc) but on the other hand the whole concept of being fit & healthy being so scientific & complicated.

This inturn leads people to think that they have to be *babysat* through the whole process, through magazines, personel trainers etc.

When in fact just simply getting up off their fat cellulite ridden backsides and just moving instead of using transportation for everything from dropping the kids off at school to going to the shop.

Even going outside and playing games with your kids would be enough to get people started on the path to a healthier lifestyle..
"If you don't have conditioning it doesn't matter how big your muscles are they ain't gonna reach their full potential!"

21st century Takism

"wyrd bið ful aræd" Destiny is Everything
Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Cheesedog » Mon Mar 31, 2008 11:43 pm

ONE SMART COOKIE wrote:
Cheesedog wrote:That program sounds quite interesting. Wonder if it'll be shown here in the States?

Download channels 4`s online program (4 on demand) to watch it off the net directly

Now why didn't I think of that? Thanks!
Spartan is the attitude, not your birthplace.
Cheesedog
Helot
Helot

Postby Cookie » Tue Apr 01, 2008 7:09 am

Cheesedog wrote:
Now why didn't I think of that? Thanks!

LOL..

Your welcome and look forward to your comments after watching it, as this is a subject close to my heart and something that seriously needs changing within society..
"If you don't have conditioning it doesn't matter how big your muscles are they ain't gonna reach their full potential!"

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Cookie » Mon Apr 07, 2008 5:25 pm

Here are 2 of the diets used in this program
Attachments
William Banting.pdf
(164.84 KiB) Downloaded 172 times
Fletcherism.pdf
(483.03 KiB) Downloaded 194 times

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Cheesedog » Tue Apr 08, 2008 6:27 am

I remember reading about Banting when I first started reading up on low-carb diets several years ago. Some things never change do they?

Fletcherism is just weird. I actually tried it once just to see how it felt. You just keep chewing the same bit of food until it seems to just -- disappear. It felt odd. I don't have enough time to chew each bite of food for 2-3 minutes straight. I guess it would save work on your digestive system, but at the expense of wearing out your teeth or giving you TMJ.
Spartan is the attitude, not your birthplace.
Cheesedog
Helot
Helot

Postby Cookie » Tue Apr 08, 2008 1:48 pm

The basics of the fletcherism are good, the 32 times is a bit overkill..

Pity more people didn`t learn to chew their foods properly, then they would see that they didn`t need to gorge all the time thinking that thats how much they need to eat to gain weight.. :roll:

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Cookie » Fri Apr 18, 2008 2:41 pm

This weeks was the BEST EVER the beasting that sargent major dished out and the verbal abuse was fantastic :lol:

We defo need more sargent majors in our gyms these days :twisted:

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Cookie » Mon Apr 21, 2008 12:46 pm

Well last one this week and I have to say its been the best reality based show on tv ever..imho...

Yeah 1 or 2 moaners & groaners but overall a very informative and enjoyable series, looking forward to the last one.

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Takmaster » Mon Apr 21, 2008 1:42 pm

Still haven't see any will have to get my ass into gear
Takmaster
Ephor
Ephor

Postby Cookie » Mon Apr 28, 2008 5:39 pm

What a great series and what a pity they didn`t add in much more training information about the styles they were using from each period in time.

Great program let down by the lack of training.

TBH would make a great book

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby samurai69 » Mon Apr 28, 2008 7:20 pm

ONE SMART COOKIE wrote:What a great series and what a pity they didn`t add in much more training information about the styles they were using from each period in time.

shame it was on C 4 .............. only channell i cant get, after 4 pm

Ephor - one of five powerful civil magistrates in Spartan government, elected annually by the Assembly.

"I thought I was hard done by, when I had no shoes, until I saw a man who had no feet"]

http://www.newspartangym.co.nr
samurai69
Ephor
Ephor

Postby Al » Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:25 pm

samurai69 wrote:
ONE SMART COOKIE wrote:What a great series and what a pity they didn`t add in much more training information about the styles they were using from each period in time.

shame it was on C 4 .............. only channell i cant get, after 4 pm

I was going to suggest trying 4OD and streaming episodes, but I think you have to live in the UK to do that (according to their website). You mat be able to watch clips and get a flavour of it.
Al
Banished

PreviousNext

Return to Nutrition