Creatine?

Syssitia : The communal & military mess of adult Spartan warriors

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Creatine?

Postby tomato » Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:41 pm

Cookie wrote:
samurai69 wrote:i think all creatines have a pronounced effect on hydration

i used to get serious cramps on creatine even with added load of water

Notorious for causing localised dehydration, things got that bad (IIRC) that the governing body of UK athletics wanted to ban the stuff years ago because of the amount of athletes getting hamstring injuries.

maybe they just had weak hamstrings??
tomato
Hoplite
Hoplite

Postby Cookie » Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:30 pm

Melas Zomos wrote:yeah, count me among that group...not once but twice. Hey, at least it was not three times :mrgreen:
Not sure if the quality (chinese vs german) had anything to do with it?

One serious hamstring injury mid game of footy myself, went down like a sack of spuds :lol: always believed it was the creatine.

Are you supplementing with it now?

Very intermittently

tomato wrote:maybe they just had weak hamstrings??

Possibly but I think they did some questionnaires which revealed which athletes had or had not used it in the run up to sustaining the injury.
"If you don't have conditioning it doesn't matter how big your muscles are they ain't gonna reach their full potential!"

21st century Takism

"wyrd bið ful aræd" Destiny is Everything
Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Melas Zomos » Wed Nov 17, 2010 4:27 pm

I would not argue that in my case. I certainly was quad dominant at the time.
I still have to wonder if it was creatine in general, or the quality of creatine.
Hydration should not have been an issue as I made sure my water intake was optimal. Perhaps sodium/electrolite levels were off?

So you guys seem to be saying the quality of creatine in todays market is not as good?
“The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.” Citizen G’Kar
Melas Zomos
Lochagos
Lochagos

Postby Cookie » Wed Nov 17, 2010 4:41 pm

Melas Zomos wrote:So you guys seem to be saying the quality of creatine in todays market is not as good?

I`ve always questioned why when I first used it on its initial release I experienced very noticeable changes in strength, muscle size & hardness. Yet after a number of years away from its use I start again & have yet to find a product that gives the same results as I experienced some 15+ years ago.

It leaves you wondering if;

a) The original product was "tainted" with something it should not contain.

b) The original product was 100% pure but all products since have not been manufactured to the same levels.
"If you don't have conditioning it doesn't matter how big your muscles are they ain't gonna reach their full potential!"

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby samurai69 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:17 pm

Cookie wrote:
Melas Zomos wrote:So you guys seem to be saying the quality of creatine in todays market is not as good?

I`ve always questioned why when I first used it on its initial release I experienced very noticeable changes in strength, muscle size & hardness. Yet after a number of years away from its use I start again & have yet to find a product that gives the same results as I experienced some 15+ years ago.

It leaves you wondering if;

a) The original product was "tainted" with something it should not contain.

b) The original product was 100% pure but all products since have not been manufactured to the same levels.

agree with that

about 6 months after i stared using maximuscle stuff there was a big thing about their stuff being tainted

Ephor - one of five powerful civil magistrates in Spartan government, elected annually by the Assembly.

"I thought I was hard done by, when I had no shoes, until I saw a man who had no feet"]

http://www.newspartangym.co.nr
samurai69
Ephor
Ephor

Postby tomato » Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:39 pm

Cookie wrote:
Melas Zomos wrote:yeah, count me among that group...not once but twice. Hey, at least it was not three times :mrgreen:
Not sure if the quality (chinese vs german) had anything to do with it?

One serious hamstring injury mid game of footy myself, went down like a sack of spuds :lol: always believed it was the creatine.

Are you supplementing with it now?

Very intermittently

Possibly but I think they did some questionnaires which revealed which athletes had or had not used it in the run up to sustaining the injury.

ok. just that i think some organisation are quick to find a scapegoat as a knee jerk reaction. And to blame creatine would be easier than blaming training. Although the combination of the two may be possible? along with the questionaires was there any strength screening done?
tomato
Hoplite
Hoplite

Postby Cookie » Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:11 am

tomato wrote: ok. just that i think some organisation are quick to find a scapegoat as a knee jerk reaction. And to blame creatine would be easier than blaming training. Although the combination of the two may be possible? along with the questionaires was there any strength screening done?

None that I have come across just yet. With over 5000 studies done (I think) on the use of Creatine Monohydrate & its effectiveness it still seems to get those that love or loath it. Granted training, rest & hydration levels need to be taken care of properly. Yet for me I know that if I do use it these days then no more than 3 grams post training is ample & never to take any pre training like I have seen suggested in some quarters.

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby samurai69 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:27 pm

just started new creatine from my supplier....bioX from canade , seems bettert than the reflex one i had been taking, noticed the same sides (if you can call them that) of the origional creatines........ slight cramps etc, definately stronger too

Ephor - one of five powerful civil magistrates in Spartan government, elected annually by the Assembly.

"I thought I was hard done by, when I had no shoes, until I saw a man who had no feet"]

samurai69
Ephor
Ephor

Postby Cookie » Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:41 pm

samurai69 wrote:just started new creatine from my supplier....bioX from canade , seems bettert than the reflex one i had been taking, noticed the same sides (if you can call them that) of the origional creatines........ slight cramps etc, definately stronger too

Send me a wee bit up then to try.

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby samurai69 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:55 pm

Cookie wrote:
samurai69 wrote:just started new creatine from my supplier....bioX from canade , seems bettert than the reflex one i had been taking, noticed the same sides (if you can call them that) of the origional creatines........ slight cramps etc, definately stronger too

Send me a wee bit up then to try.

will do next tub i get will be larger one, no point in just sending 5g ....... lol

samurai69
Ephor
Ephor

Previous

Return to Nutrition