It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 2:32 am
Change font size

Nutrition

Specific diet calculations !!!!!!! which one ?????

Syssitia : The communal & military mess of adult Spartan warriors

Moderator: Moderators

Specific diet calculations !!!!!!! which one ?????

Postby Romper Stomper » Sun Aug 24, 2008 3:57 am

Getting fed up of approximating my diet so have purchased some scales and will weigh food to exact amounts, and brush up the diet. Generally not eating enough can not seem to get enough down these days.

There are many ways and formulas available to calculate how many calories you require to maintain muscle mass. Then we add to that amount by 300-500 calories (depends on many factors and the person) to gain.

However I find many formulas calculate the calories required is an average based on how many times a week you workout, So I get a figure of say 3,200 calories a day required to maintain, however my calorie expenditure is not a constant, it varies greatly on training days and days off.

So following the calculations I may well be getting to little calories on training days inhibiting muscle gain and may well be consuming too much on non training days, adding to fat reserves ( a big no no). My workout calorie expenditure also varies but I can calculate the variation it generally centers on if can be assed to do 40 or 20 mins cardio. I know the general calorie expenditure of 20 mins and 40 mins cardio so can adjust the calories taken later in the day to get that right.

What daily specific formulas are out there or how does one adjust the calculation to get a more daily specific calorie requirement. ??????

Thanking all in advance for comments and assistance.

Romper stomper
Romper Stomper
Helot
Helot

Postby Cookie » Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:08 pm

I just go by the idea that I eat more when I do more, so training days I eat *extra* which is ually a nice large meal post workout :grin:

Spent too many years following overcomplicated dieting advice from this book & that book etc etc etc I now just eat if & when I`m hungry and eat till I`m feel satisfied
"If you don't have conditioning it doesn't matter how big your muscles are they ain't gonna reach their full potential!"

21st century Takism

"wyrd bið ful aræd" Destiny is Everything
Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby fits » Wed Aug 27, 2008 1:33 pm

whats your bodyfat now? are you prepping for a show?
Long John silver has nothing on me
fits
Polemarch.
Polemarch.

Postby Cookie » Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:21 pm

fits wrote:whats your bodyfat now? are you prepping for a show?

Don`t know & no
"If you don't have conditioning it doesn't matter how big your muscles are they ain't gonna reach their full potential!"

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby firebear369 » Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:42 am

Just a comment from the peanut gallery here.

I've counted carbs, calories and about everything in between with mixed results. I've been following the South Beach diet for the past month and a half and have finally started seeing improvement in weight loss and my general health.

Once I stopped 'counting' and started avoiding refined sugars and enriched flours, I started seeing results. I've lost almost 15 pounds (yes, I'm a bit of a lard-ass) in six weeks.
nosce te ipsum
firebear369
Lochagos
Lochagos

Postby Romper Stomper » Thu Aug 28, 2008 1:02 am

i have a freaking head cold/flu and have lost 3 kg in five days, can not eat anything.

Anyway i want to ensure i am eating enough on the right days. Generally
its force feeding with me so i need to plan it out and force it down.

Prepping for a comp , No , if i was i would have already worked out the question i posed.

i am natty at the moment so no comps for me at the moment, i dont even look like a bodybuilder yet !.
Romper Stomper
Helot
Helot

Postby Cookie » Thu Aug 28, 2008 4:46 pm

Bad news with the cold, plenty of echinacea and vit c to shift it ,e thinks, if you haven`t already thought of that :lol:

Done the force feeding route and it aint pretty :shock:

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Romper Stomper » Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:20 am

Done the force feeding route and it aint pretty

The only option appetite problems, so do not really look forwards to meal times at the mo. Will change after a few months when i get used to it again.

And its not pretty esp when i have to visit the can, anything but pretty :cry:
Romper Stomper
Helot
Helot

Postby Cookie » Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:46 pm

Romper Stomper wrote: The only option appetite problems, so do not really look forwards to meal times at the mo. Will change after a few months when i get used to it again.

And its not pretty esp when i have to visit the can, anything but pretty :cry:

What about working around that by trying to improve digestion to extract as much as humanly possible from your food rather than going the *gorge* route?

Look at adding digestive enzymes to each meal, pineapple papaya, apple cider vinegar etc see if they help..

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Romper Stomper » Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:48 am

Look at adding digestive enzymes to each meal, pineapple papaya, apple cider vinegar etc see if they help..

Good idea

:grin:

I could dissolve all the food in sulphuric acid, drink it with all the disolved
nutrients in and then have an anti acid tab so i dont get stomach ache :shock: :cool:
Romper Stomper
Helot
Helot

Return to Nutrition