It is currently Sun May 05, 2024 5:33 am
Change font size

Nutrition

Raw Eggs

Syssitia : The communal & military mess of adult Spartan warriors

Moderator: Moderators

Raw Eggs

Postby Scott » Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:59 pm

Do they need to be nuked,cooked, or just eaten?

wikipedia.org
the protein in raw eggs is only 51% bio-available, whereas that of a cooked egg is nearer 91% bio-available, meaning the protein of cooked eggs is nearly twice as absorbable as the protein from raw eggs

http://www.regenerativenutrition.com/content.asp?id=268
The process of cooking eggs destroy the very goodness that our bodies so desperately need as the nature of proteins and fats is altered when exposed to heat. When cooked, the egg protein changes its chemical shape; it is often this process that can be the cause of allergies. Generally when eating raw eggs, any incidence of egg allergy will disappear.

the food standards agency was less than useless on the subject. isnt that just typical! poxy government. They had no info (I found) relating to the bio-available protein in eggs. just the usual 'raw eggs might be bad but maybe not' :roll:

so is it right enough that if eating raw eggs they should be microwaved for 20 (or whatever) seconds first?
FIGHTING SOLVES EVERYTHING

Get Dropped But I'm Right Back In

Wendy Who Web Development
Scott
Dioscuri
Dioscuri

Postby Cookie » Fri Sep 19, 2008 8:24 am

The thing with microwaving was a PB thing to supposably kill any salmonela that may be lurking around in a dodgey egg.

Me I eat them from from time to time and don`t nuke them.

Regarding the raw egg & biotin I`ve read somewhere that you suffer prblems with lack of biotin when you ONLY consume the whites raw not if you consume the whole egg raw. Seems there is plenty of biotin in the egg yolk to offset any problems.

There is a pdf by Rheo Blair on the forum with a egg cooking technique to minimise the degrading of the egg protein & bioavailability.

Check it out.
"If you don't have conditioning it doesn't matter how big your muscles are they ain't gonna reach their full potential!"

21st century Takism

"wyrd bið ful aræd" Destiny is Everything
Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby fits » Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:05 am

Good post scott, these things can get so confusing!
I remember that cookie, sloooooooooowly cooking the eggs at a certain temp.... makes sense. Super heating anything seems to destroy the goodness!
Long John silver has nothing on me
fits
Polemarch.
Polemarch.

Postby Scott » Fri Sep 19, 2008 4:55 pm

ONE SMART COOKIE wrote:Me I eat them from from time to time and don`t nuke them.

what about Avidin?
Is that not what you have to get rid of to get the full amount of protein though?

Scott
Dioscuri
Dioscuri

Postby Cookie » Fri Sep 19, 2008 4:58 pm

Scott wrote: what about Avidin?
Is that not what you have to get rid of to get the full amount of protein though?

Avidin is what is supposed to block biotin, but as I mentioned the yolk contains biotin and the article or whatever I read said that the avidin was only a problem when people consumed only whites
"If you don't have conditioning it doesn't matter how big your muscles are they ain't gonna reach their full potential!"

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Eric » Fri Sep 19, 2008 5:06 pm

ONE SMART COOKIE wrote:
Scott wrote: what about Avidin?

Avidin is what is supposed to block biotin, but as I mentioned the yolk contains biotin and the article or whatever I read said that the avidin was only a problem when people consumed only whites

Never split em, what a waste

Bloody egg whites :twisted:
"go out in flames,don't go out any other way!"
Eric
Lochagos
Lochagos

Postby Cookie » Fri Sep 19, 2008 5:07 pm

Eric wrote: Bloody egg whites :twisted:

Blame the 80`s low fat brigade for that one :roll:

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Scott » Fri Sep 19, 2008 5:14 pm

ONE SMART COOKIE wrote: yolk contains biotin and the article or whatever I read said that the avidin was only a problem when people consumed only whites

I didnt know that. Makes life a tad easier :grin:

Scott
Dioscuri
Dioscuri

Postby Cookie » Fri Sep 19, 2008 5:17 pm

Scott wrote:I didnt know that. Makes life a tad easier :grin:

I wouldn`t just take my word for it, go out and do a search :lol:

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby oldschoolllion » Sun Sep 21, 2008 3:03 am

the salmonella problem is the shell from contact with the chicken when being laid, so washing the egg takes care of that if you want to down them raw. i wouldnt recommend anything be put in the microwave.

from what i read over the years is that the whites should be cooked and the yolk be as uncooked as possible, so i have eggs over easy most times. cooked whites, almost raw yolk and chase the last of the yolk with bacon (love quality bacon). sometimes softboiled or lightly poached.
oldschoolllion
Helot
Helot

Postby Theseus » Mon Oct 13, 2008 12:18 pm

[quote="oldschoolllion"]the salmonella problem is the shell from contact with the chicken when being laid, so washing the egg takes care of that if you want to down them raw. i wouldnt recommend anything be put in the microwave.

I agree with the above ( for what its worth :D ) . On a personal level, as long as the egg has got the red lion mark on it , which shows it has been vaccinated against salmonella, I have no worries eating it raw.

I have incorporated raw eggs in my diet for the best part of a year now, having a few in the morning in a shake , for the true Rocky experience , it took a bit of getting used to but now its normal to me.

Unfortunately I do not have any real knowledge regarding the bioavailability of raw vs cooked eggs to hand.
Theseus

Postby Cookie » Tue Oct 14, 2008 2:45 pm

Lots or agruements seem to rage between the bioavailabuilty of any cooked or raw food.

Some say raw is best others say slight cooking is needed to fully activate everything in the food source.

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Next

Return to Nutrition