It is currently Mon May 06, 2024 4:08 pm
Change font size

Nutrition

Chocolate Milk

Syssitia : The communal & military mess of adult Spartan warriors

Moderator: Moderators

Chocolate Milk

Postby Scott » Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:55 pm

I was reading an article from DR J Benjamin he's one of those sports doc guys, does some writing for mma sites ect anyhoo he's been going on recently about energy drinks and the like, he wrote a wee bit about chocolate milk and how its better post workout than gator-aid and similar.
Every athlete, despite their level, is looking for an edge, a little help, something to train and/or perform better. Hence the tremendous sum of money being spent on performance products and supplements. In these trying economic times, I have a little secret for you...chocolate milk.

Yep you heard it right...chocolate milk. The funny thing is that this is not new information but I guess brown moo is not exotic or sexy enough to pique the interest of serious athletes... too bad because in several studies cheap ol' chocolate milk smoked some very well known sports drinks.

I'll paraphrase one of the studies for you. At the Indiana University kinesiology/physiology lab, high-level cyclist trained to exhaustion (depleting glycogen stores). Then within 45-minutes, they drank 20 oz. of chocolate milk. The cyclist rested for 4-hours. They then pedaled to exhaustion. With the chocolate milk, they pedaled 49% longer and had a 57% increase in their work output as compared to the results after consuming a very popular carbohydrate sports drink (gator-something or other). A similar study with similar results has been performed with swimmers and strength (weight lifting) athletes.

Milk is 90% water so it hydrates well. The 4 to 1 carbohydrate:protein ratio seems to be perfectly balanced for athletes. The carbs replenish energy and the protein rebuilds muscle. The extra sugar in chocolate milk also helps. As we all know milk is a great source of vitamins and minerals that are important in proper growth and development. Babies drink it for a reason.

Timing is very important. The milk needs to be consumed within 1 hour after the work out to maximize its potential benefits.

If you don't believe in scientific studies and think that I would mislead you, maybe you'll believe Dana Torres. You remember Dana, the 40-something (years old) Olympic gold-medalist swimmer from Beijing. That's right. She's the one with the chocolate, low-fat, got milk 'stache that beat all of those girls half her age.

thats taken from his blog.

I remember ages ago talking to cookie about the benefits of eating chocolate post workout. Im all for this :lol:
FIGHTING SOLVES EVERYTHING

Get Dropped But I'm Right Back In

Wendy Who Web Development
Scott
Dioscuri
Dioscuri

Postby Eric » Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:19 pm

Funny thats what Rob ChefX used to say
"go out in flames,don't go out any other way!"
Eric
Lochagos
Lochagos

Postby firebear369 » Thu Nov 20, 2008 2:50 pm

There was a news report on one of the local college cross-country teams. After heavy training sessions, they provide low-fat chocolate milk and it seems to help the athelets recover a bit faster.
nosce te ipsum
firebear369
Lochagos
Lochagos

Postby Cookie » Thu Nov 20, 2008 2:58 pm

So there you have it drink your milk :lol:
"If you don't have conditioning it doesn't matter how big your muscles are they ain't gonna reach their full potential!"

21st century Takism

"wyrd bið ful aræd" Destiny is Everything
Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Scott » Thu Nov 20, 2008 3:13 pm

100ml milk and 4 bounty bars for the next workout then :razz:

Scott
Dioscuri
Dioscuri

Postby HAIL PAYASO » Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:58 pm

Men im adict t chocolate and i was trying to leave it, u can imagine how much i love this news hahahahaha :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Just hope to dont get exited and abuse on it XDDD
HAIL PAYASO
Helot
Helot

Postby oldschoolllion » Mon Nov 24, 2008 5:47 pm

they were comparing apples to oranges. one protein based drink with hfcs compared to hfcs based drinks. not even close to the same thing. show a study of chocolate milks from the store vs. milk with cocoa powder you mix yourself with no corn syrup vs. chocolate flavored protein powders in milk vs. plain whole milk and store bought mix might not come out as favorable as it had in this study model.
oldschoolllion
Helot
Helot

Postby Scott » Mon Nov 24, 2008 11:49 pm

its all too much to think about for me Im afraid. After experimenting with just about every popular post workout approach, Im just sticking to my usual of a protein shake and a banana. if its good enough for chad waterbury its good enough for me ;-)

Scott
Dioscuri
Dioscuri

Postby Cookie » Sat Nov 29, 2008 5:09 pm

Post workout I`v had everything from shakes to steaks...

Conclusions??????????????????????

I found they all worked :lol:
"If you don't have conditioning it doesn't matter how big your muscles are they ain't gonna reach their full potential!"

21st century Takism

"wyrd bið ful aræd" Destiny is Everything
Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Scott » Sat Nov 29, 2008 11:33 pm

ONE SMART COOKIE wrote:Post workout I`v had everything from shakes to steaks...

Conclusions??????????????????????

I found they all worked :lol:

LOL! ditto ;-) add to that about a dozen different timeings as well.....

Scott
Dioscuri
Dioscuri

Return to Nutrition