It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:40 pm
Change font size

Nutrition

Protein - More Is Not Always Better?

Syssitia : The communal & military mess of adult Spartan warriors

Moderator: Moderators

Postby Cookie » Thu Jan 01, 2009 2:09 pm

"If you don't have conditioning it doesn't matter how big your muscles are they ain't gonna reach their full potential!"

21st century Takism

"wyrd bið ful aræd" Destiny is Everything
Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Re: Protein - More Is Not Always Better?

Postby kong » Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:43 pm

Today is the first time I have been in the internet for a long time. Like
the new look of the forum :grin:

Businness man just want to make money and tell you to eat tons of meat and other products,
suposedly to help you get better results. They tell you all this horror stories about protein deficiency and a bunch of other stuff to get the public to buy their products.

The truth is that to build protein you need amino acids.Your body makes protein and when you eat cow meat or any oder kind of meat your body has to break down the protein back to its natural acids so that your body can make protein out of them.

Think about the strongest animals on earth, and think of what they eat.
Most of them eat plants not meat. The Elephant, The gorilla, The Bull, and the horse are only examples of the strongest animals that don't eat meat and suffer no protein defficiency.

Even the lion has to rest and sleep greatperiod of time to make the protein from the animal he eats correct for him.

If you eat fruit and vegetables you'll consume the necessary amino acids to form protein.
Eating fish like salmond is a good idea because fish are very healthy because of the plants they eat in the ocean.
kong
Helot
Helot

Postby Cookie » Wed Jan 07, 2009 4:15 pm

kong wrote:Today is the first time I have been in the internet for a long time. Like
the new look of the forum :grin:

Businness man just want to make money and tell you to eat tons of meat and other products,
suposedly to help you get better results. They tell you all this horror stories about protein deficiency and a bunch of other stuff to get the public to buy their products.

The truth is that to build protein you need amino acids.Your body makes protein and when you eat cow meat or any oder kind of meat your body has to break down the protein back to its natural acids so that your body can make protein out of them.

Think about the strongest animals on earth, and think of what they eat.
Most of them eat plants not meat. The Elephant, The gorilla, The Bull, and the horse are only examples of the strongest animals that don't eat meat and suffer no protein defficiency.

Even the lion has to rest and sleep greatperiod of time to make the protein from the animal he eats correct for him.

If you eat fruit and vegetables you'll consume the necessary amino acids to form protein.
Eating fish like salmond is a good idea because fish are very healthy because of the plants they eat in the ocean.

Glad you like the new look.

I would disagree with some of what your saying as I believe you should use as much variety as possible from as many sources as possible to get the correct amino acid ratios for the body.

Not a fan of comparing gorrilas, elephants etc to humans, there are some slight differences between us all.
"If you don't have conditioning it doesn't matter how big your muscles are they ain't gonna reach their full potential!"

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby kong » Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:28 pm

I wasn' trying to say that you should stop copmletely eating what you eat but you have to consider that in the united states most food is processed and you won't get much benefit from them.

Some people think that protein is all you need and eat tons of meat, but what I am looking at is the big thing in health. When they kill the cow the cow creates adrenaline when it's about to die (and even beffore because many times the cow is raced in a dark room with berely any room to move so that it tastes better, not all the cows but mostely the ones that are going to get killed) we actually do eat the adrenaline alltough some may argue that it's kill when you cook it.

Coockie I respect your opinion if you don't like to compare humans to animals
but I want everyone to consider that animals in the while usually don't get sick because they do eat what they were meant to eat. When an animal gets sick it's usually because they are living and eating what humans give them and that is why pets are getting cancer, tumors, and diabetis.

There was actually a study done, two apples were in the experiment, one cooked(baked I think) and one raw. A cancerous cell was placed in each one, the results: the cooked
apple was consume in a little while, the cancerouse cell could't sourvive for too long in the raw apple.

What we eat becomes part of us, food is transformed into new cells for our body,
a bunch of nutriens get kill when you cook food, most of the the time we shoud eat food that is alive (meaning fruits and vegetables) we should avoid having to cook food.

Fruits,vegetables,nuts, potatoes,rice, and fish are only some of the food that is great for us even cooked. But you shouldn't cook fruits and vegetables. :grin:
kong
Helot
Helot

Postby Cookie » Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:20 am

Nice post.

I do agree with what your saying I think we have just come to it from different angles.

People consum,e way too much protein and mostly from the same sources, very ittle variety. Not enough fruit and vegetables and agin very little variety. Agree that like animals we should eat more of what nature intended us to eat, but on that level do we then take it a step further and only consume foods which we are genetically better suited to use through the use of blood typing?

Trouble we have as a species is we seem to over complicate things or just get plain lazy :lol:

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby tomato » Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:45 am

i was reading a book with a bit about protein excess and it seems that going slightly over need isnt exactly bad as it is broken down and excreted but going too extremes can cause dehydration, and a loss of calcium. Also lots of protein supplements can cause absorbtion problems and imbalances in metabolism,
so it seems with protein more isnt always better :???:

i think as cookie and kong were saying a well rounded balanced diet is better than one which is heavy on certain nutrients
i think that as far as performance goes trying to get lots and lots of protein should be swapped for getting the right balance of energy compared to protein.
tomato
Hoplite
Hoplite

Postby kong » Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:43 pm

I'm gladd we all agree because I get scared when I here people eat a bunch of steak just to get a bunch of protein becuse their scared they'll get protein defficiency.

I've heard some people talking about consuming at least 300g of protein a day!

It is said that we're suppose to eat a minimmum of 40g and maximmum of 80g of protein a day. Some people say that if you eat 30g you'll still be all right.

What happens when you eat too much protein is that it becomes toxic and your body trys to take it out by absorbing water from your muscles (probably organs too) and calcium from your bones. Then people get arthritis, ostoporeosis, dehydration, loss of energy, and other illments.

The best source of protein is found in beans. there are a bunch of kinds of beans to choose from and they help your health. :grin:
kong
Helot
Helot

Postby TH&S » Fri Jan 09, 2009 11:35 pm

kong wrote:I'm gladd we all agree because I get scared when I here people eat a bunch of steak just to get a bunch of protein becuse their scared they'll get protein defficiency.

I've heard some people talking about consuming at least 300g of protein a day!

It is said that we're suppose to eat a minimmum of 40g and maximmum of 80g of protein a day. Some people say that if you eat 30g you'll still be all right.

What happens when you eat too much protein is that it becomes toxic and your body trys to take it out by absorbing water from your muscles (probably organs too) and calcium from your bones. Then people get arthritis, ostoporeosis, dehydration, loss of energy, and other illments.

The best source of protein is found in beans. there are a bunch of kinds of beans to choose from and they help your health. :grin:

Kong - Beans have a poor amino acid profile.

I've never heard anyone suggest that 30g Protein ED would be suitable. Your body would catabolise it's muscle at that level of protein intake.
TH&S
Neodamodeis
Neodamodeis

Postby tomato » Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:24 pm

beans or legumes do have alot of protein although it isnt complete as TH&S says
but if you can manage to combine them with other proteins they can be good
probably best option for vegies
tomato
Hoplite
Hoplite

Postby kong » Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:07 pm

Has anyone seen anyone with protein defficinency?

I haven't. Thats all I have to say.
kong
Helot
Helot

Postby fits » Sat Apr 25, 2009 10:16 pm

kong wrote:Has anyone seen anyone with protein defficinency?

I haven't. Thats all I have to say.

Hey kong

I understand and like allot of what you have said. However, as stated before, although beans and pulses have a good amount of protein, they are incomplete and i think its been proven that veggie odybuilders really struggle to gain size.

While i was in india i knew a few bodybuilders, and most were veggie (like 80 or 90% of people there, and the rest have meat about twice per week) and they really struggled to gain size. They seemed to get to a certain size (in good shape) but then no more. From recent studies it seems Leucine is a majour player in protein synthasis and it is much more abundant in meat.

People compare humans to apes allot when talking about if we need meat. You will find the monkeys closest to us spend about 15 hours per day eating to get enough nutriants.

What i do find interesting is that there are many ways to do this and its all dependent. So many factors come into it.
some people live on about 5 food items and get huge and ripped. These people may eat 300 to 400 grams of protein per day,some fat and minimal carbs. these people probably need the calories from protein as they don't get them from else where. some people eat a good amount of carbs and moderate fat and take on 150g of protein. their bodies are using carbs and fat for energy so all the protein goes to repairing muscle, so not much is needed.

What is for sure is there are ESSENTIAL Amino acids and ESSENTIAL Fats. These things we cannot make and need to ingest and meat is good for these.

I like the study. I for one would call myself a meat lover but i struggle to eat 6 meals per day with protein. But it does say this is only a study loking at egg protein. Maybe whey is different???

What i like the idea of is that whilst dieting, for 2 meals i may try having 3 boiled eggs rather than trying to knock back 5 or 6 (like the Palumbo diet) as it seems 3 eggs, about 21g of protein should be enough to keep me anabolic for 3 hours or so (hopefully)

sorry for the waffle, had my first glas of red wine for 3 weeks tonight! lol
Long John silver has nothing on me
fits
Polemarch.
Polemarch.

Postby kong » Tue Apr 28, 2009 6:17 pm

While I am not completely against people eating meat I do think their recovery would be better if they ate from the plant kingdom. My reason is: a high plant diet, is a high alkaline diet.

As for the Indian bodybuilders, is one of two things; either they don't use inof intensity or they are used to the training. altough people from india are indeed very strong, from what i've heard their training takes too long.

Well things might have cahnged, what I read was that indians did hundredths of repetitions and weren't getting the best results;then, they started to use heavy clubs and their results were increasing because of increased intensity.

yeah I do agree with you in the part of the monkeys; i read in some article about a monkey that eats two pounds of leaves a day to get suficient calories. From what I saw in the picture the monkey was around One foot.
In closer inspection we can see that monkeys move around all day and don't shut up.

when we look at others like Orangutans wich are fruit eaters we find that in radio to those monkeys they don't eat that much.

This animals eat what they biologycally adapted to eat and yes I will admit we humans are a little different. Lets compare our anathomy to animals(first I want to say that more or less we are adapted to eat both plants and meats, but also that some gorillas being leaf and root eaters have learned to eat meat), our intestines are longer than carnevors because we were made to eat plants and to absorbe them, carnevors eat flesh and their intestines are shorter to take the acidic food out in the fastes time.

I am running out of time, but I will continue later in an hour or so.
kong
Helot
Helot

PreviousNext

Return to Nutrition