It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:43 pm
Change font size

Nutrition

magic window

Syssitia : The communal & military mess of adult Spartan warriors

Moderator: Moderators

magic window

Postby steve1 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:05 pm

according to two dumb ass blokes i over heard in the gym tonight the magic window or the magic 10 minutes as they also called it is the best time to eat anything after a workout now i know it cant be a bad thing to get some nutrition down you after a workout but these guys were saying after the 10 mins you've missed it and they were like yeah yeah thats right i agree #-o missed fucking what ?? the bus ? the late shop ? #-o
so anyway i timed myself getting home.......did i fuck :lol: :lol:

but seriously whats everybody's thought on the best time to consume food after a workout
steve1
Neodamodeis
Neodamodeis

Re: magic window

Postby samurai69 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:13 pm

as soon as possible afterwards

good complex carbs and a fast acting protein

if its a late workout then a slower acting protein

10 mins??!!...............its been said, but if its impossible then ASAP

the bar at our local leisure centre for carbs, used to work well, and the kebab house on the walk home for protein

it worked for me!!!!

Ephor - one of five powerful civil magistrates in Spartan government, elected annually by the Assembly.

"I thought I was hard done by, when I had no shoes, until I saw a man who had no feet"]

http://www.newspartangym.co.nr
samurai69
Ephor
Ephor

Postby Scott » Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:38 pm

I spoke to takmaster about this a while ago, Im sure he had 'the window' at within an hour or so after training. He's well up on the science side of things and aint likely to steer ya wrong.
Ive tried about every approach and I tend to stick with a small protein shake + banana before I leave the gym then food between an hour / 90 mins later. That tends to be my approach when dieting anyways.

according to two dumb ass blokes i over heard in the gym

have you noticed how some people seem to put more energy into worrying about magic windows than they do into their training though. ;-) thel'll eat really inconsistantly 99% of the time but be really anal about post workout.
FIGHTING SOLVES EVERYTHING

Get Dropped But I'm Right Back In

Wendy Who Web Development
Scott
Dioscuri
Dioscuri

Postby samurai69 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 6:51 am

Scott wrote:have you noticed how some people seem to put more energy into worrying about magic windows than they do into their training though. ;-) thel'll eat really inconsistantly 99% of the time but be really anal about post workout.

exactly

Ephor - one of five powerful civil magistrates in Spartan government, elected annually by the Assembly.

"I thought I was hard done by, when I had no shoes, until I saw a man who had no feet"]

http://www.newspartangym.co.nr
samurai69
Ephor
Ephor

Postby Cookie » Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:32 pm

Normally (now I train at home) I finish workout fire down some glutamine (trying to see if it works), stretch then have a carb/protein mix type drink give it 30-60 minutes & have some solid food.

BUT I`ve done the solid food, liquid food, all sorts post workout and never found there to be much difference as long as I got some food into me within 60 minutes of finishing a workout
"If you don't have conditioning it doesn't matter how big your muscles are they ain't gonna reach their full potential!"

21st century Takism

"wyrd bið ful aræd" Destiny is Everything
Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby steve1 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:37 pm

the thing i find is that if i have a shake right after training im not hungry again for another 2 hours so i usualy wait about a hour after training then have a meal
steve1
Neodamodeis
Neodamodeis

Postby lux » Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:40 pm

steve1 wrote:the thing i find is that if i have a shake right after training im not hungry again for another 2 hours so i usualy wait about a hour after training then have a meal

What kind of shake are you having steve?

I've noticed that branded protein powders tend to have thickeners etc added to them. So like drinking angel delight :lol:

Also, are you using milk or water? Too large of a shake maybe?
Chads new disciple
lux
Helot
Helot

Postby steve1 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:57 pm

no ive tried with/without milk just proten shakes and meal replacements and if i take them straight after a workout its still more than a hour before i feel hungry i usualy use chemical nutrition pro pep or pro mr ive switched to having a meal within a hour or so of training then mabe a shake later on
i have just started training full on again so maybe my hunger will grow a little
steve1
Neodamodeis
Neodamodeis

Postby Scott » Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:40 pm

steve1 wrote:no ive tried with/without milk just proten shakes and meal replacements and if i take them straight after a workout its still more than a hour before i feel hungry i usualy use chemical nutrition pro pep or pro mr ive switched to having a meal within a hour or so of training then mabe a shake later on
i have just started training full on again so maybe my hunger will grow a little

Id just run with that if it were me... the shake after the workout then a meal 2 hours later if that was the case.

Scott
Dioscuri
Dioscuri

Postby tomato » Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:20 am

i was reading some resarch that said about 10g BCAA's or 7.5 g leucine immediately post workout is ideal
but to optimise muscle protein resynthesis you need an insulin spike.
so alarge ammount of simple sugars, i think 60g, was recommended!

and it was commented that a few table spoons of nesquick with milk would fit the criteria!
i dnt know if the last bit has been scientifically tested but it sound pretty good to me :grin:
tomato
Hoplite
Hoplite

Postby Cookie » Fri Apr 10, 2009 1:32 pm

tomato wrote:i was reading some resarch that said about 10g BCAA's or 7.5 g leucine immediately post workout is ideal
but to optimise muscle protein resynthesis you need an insulin spike.
so alarge ammount of simple sugars, i think 60g, was recommended!

and it was commented that a few table spoons of nesquick with milk would fit the criteria!
i dnt know if the last bit has been scientifically tested but it sound pretty good to me :grin:

You are correct
"If you don't have conditioning it doesn't matter how big your muscles are they ain't gonna reach their full potential!"

21st century Takism

"wyrd bið ful aræd" Destiny is Everything
Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Scott » Fri Apr 10, 2009 2:40 pm

cookie knows all about 'magic windows' at the moment :razz:

Scott