It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:49 pm
Change font size

Nutrition

Food for thought

Syssitia : The communal & military mess of adult Spartan warriors

Moderator: Moderators

Food for thought

Postby Cookie » Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:55 am

Flicking through a very old book & came across this sentance.

The calorie theory disregards mineral salts & vitamins, the proportion of protein & tissue building, & the poisonous products which a one-sided diet will produce.

Quite apt don`t you think given the way a lot of iron sports people structure their diets around *crazy* diet regimes posted on the forums. :-k
"If you don't have conditioning it doesn't matter how big your muscles are they ain't gonna reach their full potential!"

21st century Takism

"wyrd bið ful aræd" Destiny is Everything
Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Re: Food for thought

Postby firebear369 » Sun Apr 05, 2009 2:36 pm

ONE SMART COOKIE wrote:Flicking through a very old book & came across this sentance.

The calorie theory disregards mineral salts & vitamins, the proportion of protein & tissue building, & the poisonous products which a one-sided diet will produce.

Quite apt don`t you think given the way a lot of iron sports people structure their diets around *crazy* diet regimes posted on the forums. :-k

Interesting food for thought.

...no pun intended
nosce te ipsum
firebear369
Lochagos
Lochagos

Postby Scott » Sun Apr 05, 2009 5:27 pm

what does it mean, one sided diet?
FIGHTING SOLVES EVERYTHING

Get Dropped But I'm Right Back In

Wendy Who Web Development
Scott
Dioscuri
Dioscuri

Postby Cookie » Sun Apr 05, 2009 5:36 pm

Scott wrote:what does it mean, one sided diet?

Seriously you don`t know?

A diet that is overly rich in one nutrient at the expense of others

Example bodybuilders & excessive protein rich diets.

The author was trying to get across the point that people shouldn`t just count calories but also take into consideration the total nutrients within those calories ie: vits/mins fibre trace elements as well as the usual CHO/PRO/Fats that we all need.
"If you don't have conditioning it doesn't matter how big your muscles are they ain't gonna reach their full potential!"

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Scott » Sun Apr 05, 2009 5:44 pm

well I had an idea it was protein bashing ;-) but I wasnt sure what levels constitue a diet being one sided.
Keto / caveman style diets?
FIGHTING SOLVES EVERYTHING

Get Dropped But I'm Right Back In

Wendy Who Web Development
Scott
Dioscuri
Dioscuri

Postby Cookie » Sun Apr 05, 2009 5:49 pm

Scott wrote:well I had an idea it was protein bashing ;-) but I wasnt sure what levels constitue a diet being one sided.

Not just protein bashing but any diet that has 1 nutrient in excess of the others or at the expense of others & complete nutritional values.

It is all right to count calories but you need to make sure that everything else is as complete as possible, vits/mins etc

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby fits » Sat Apr 25, 2009 7:29 pm

ONE SMART COOKIE wrote:
Scott wrote:well I had an idea it was protein bashing ;-) but I wasnt sure what levels constitue a diet being one sided.

Not just protein bashing but any diet that has 1 nutrient in excess of the others or at the expense of others & complete nutritional values.

It is all right to count calories but you need to make sure that everything else is as complete as possible, vits/mins etc

Keeping everything Varied is about as good as it gets. Every now and then just about every Vit and mineral turns up in the media as being the next big thng! You can probably make an arguement for just about every vitamin and mineral, and how it aids fat loss, or helps build muscle. When you step back and look at it as a whole, Variaty is the spice of life! most old nans have told you that. its simple and and its true.

As for protein bashing.... we may not need as much as some companies try to sell but there seems to be a direct link between higher protein intake and muscular people....

saying that.............. there was a study done ( i read in MD mag) which showed a direct link between cholesterol and muscle size and not protein.................
Long John silver has nothing on me
fits
Polemarch.
Polemarch.

Postby Cookie » Sat Apr 25, 2009 7:49 pm

fits wrote: As for protein bashing.... we may not need as much as some companies try to sell but there seems to be a direct link between higher protein intake and muscular people....

Extra protein helps but not like most think you need to shovel it in

saying that.............. there was a study done ( i read in MD mag) which showed a direct link between cholesterol and muscle size and not protein.................

Wouldn`t mind reading that one

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby fits » Sat Apr 25, 2009 9:19 pm

ONE SMART COOKIE wrote:
fits wrote: As for protein bashing.... we may not need as much as some companies try to sell but there seems to be a direct link between higher protein intake and muscular people....

Extra protein helps but not like most think you need to shovel it in

Wouldn`t mind reading that one

http://www.musculardevelopment.com/cont ... 61/54/1/1/
Long John silver has nothing on me
fits
Polemarch.
Polemarch.

Postby Cookie » Mon Apr 27, 2009 2:32 pm

Cheers fits will read laters

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Return to Nutrition