creatine supplementation & exercise

Syssitia : The communal & military mess of adult Spartan warriors

Moderator: Moderators

Re: creatine supplementation & exercise

Postby Al » Sun Apr 19, 2009 6:01 am

Scott wrote:
ONE SMART COOKIE wrote:
If I under play it to be fat free then 18 grms per day to load

18g for 3 days then 3g per day thereafter?

Al wrote:tsp a day.

Thats probably about the most common doseage for a guy under 80k I would say. Al, I take you dont bother with loading or the 'every second day' malarky?

Tried loading first time I used it. Worked fine. Same without.
1 tsp recommended amount on the tin, that's what I took. it works
Al
Banished

Postby Cookie » Sun Apr 19, 2009 7:13 am

Scott wrote:going by that you will be using double what phd recommend for your first week then roughly the same per week after that.

Yeah slightly over but under the following weeks if they are using 10gms EOD.

Taking what the science says rather than the companies a 200+lb lean bodybuilder or athlete will need far more than the avergae gym bunny BUT I think the heavier BB would see a much better return for their money as a lot of BB`s say they don`t get out what they think they should get.

ONE SMART COOKIE wrote:Will have a few days at a much more aggressive dosage than normal & see how I feel :lol:

I prefer the sound of that though!

Dosage for adult male : Agrresive
:mrgreen:

Will start today and use 1-2 grms with each meal & some in between, using some CEE I have had kicking a round for far longer than I can remember :lol:

When creatine forst hit the market I used it for a show & noticed a HUGE increase in muscle hardness & retention of strength. After the show stopped using it due to cost but never really got the same results when I started taking it again a few years later when more & more introduced it to their product ranges. :-k
"If you don't have conditioning it doesn't matter how big your muscles are they ain't gonna reach their full potential!"

21st century Takism

"wyrd bið ful aræd" Destiny is Everything
Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Cookie » Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:55 pm

Trying to load but not managing more than 6 grms a day in small amounts.

Dam I forgot how bad this CEE tastes :vom:
"If you don't have conditioning it doesn't matter how big your muscles are they ain't gonna reach their full potential!"

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby steve1 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:57 pm

ONE SMART COOKIE wrote:Trying to load but not managing more than 6 grms a day in small amounts.

Dam I forgot how bad this CEE tastes :vom:

just mix it with a bit of bovril and honey mmmmmmmm :lol: :lol: :lol:
steve1
Neodamodeis
Neodamodeis

Postby Al » Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:14 pm

warm orange juice
Al
Banished

Postby Cookie » Sun May 10, 2009 11:12 am

J Int Soc Sports Nutr. 2009 Feb 19;6:6. Links
The effects of creatine ethyl ester supplementation combined with heavy resistance training on body composition, muscle performance, and serum and muscle creatine levels.

Spillane M, Schoch R, Cooke M, Harvey T, Greenwood M, Kreider R, Willoughby DS.
Department of Health, Human Performance and Recreation, Baylor University, Box 97313, Waco, TX 76798, USA. darryn_willoughby@baylor.edu.
ABSTRACT: Numerous creatine formulations have been developed primarily to maximize creatine absorption. Creatine ethyl ester is alleged to increase creatine bio-availability. This study examined how a seven-week supplementation regimen combined with resistance training affected body composition, muscle mass, muscle strength and power, serum and muscle creatine levels, and serum creatinine levels in 30 non-resistance-trained males. In a double-blind manner, participants were randomly assigned to a maltodextrose placebo (PLA), creatine monohydrate (CRT), or creatine ethyl ester (CEE) group. The supplements were orally ingested at a dose of 0.30 g/kg fat-free body mass (approximately 20 g/day) for five days followed by ingestion at 0.075 g/kg fat free mass (approximately 5 g/day) for 42 days. Results showed significantly higher serum creatine concentrations in PLA (p = 0.007) and CRT (p = 0.005) compared to CEE. Serum creatinine was greater in CEE compared to the PLA (p = 0.001) and CRT (p = 0.001) and increased at days 6, 27, and 48. Total muscle creatine content was significantly higher in CRT (p = 0.026) and CEE (p = 0.041) compared to PLA, with no differences between CRT and CEE. Significant changes over time were observed for body composition, body water, muscle strength and power variables, but no significant differences were observed between groups. In conclusion, when compared to creatine monohydrate, creatine ethyl ester was not as effective at increasing serum and muscle creatine levels or in improving body composition, muscle mass, strength, and power. Therefore, the improvements in these variables can most likely be attributed to the training protocol itself, rather than the supplementation regimen.
PMID: 19228401 [PubMed - in process]

J Appl Physiol. 1996 Feb;80(2):452-7.Click here to read Links
Caffeine counteracts the ergogenic action of muscle creatine loading.
Vandenberghe K, Gillis N, Van Leemputte M, Van Hecke P, Vanstapel F, Hespel P.

Faculty of Physical Education and Physiotherapy, Department of Kinesiology, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Belgium.

This study aimed to compare the effects of oral creatine (Cr) supplementation with creatine supplementation in combination with caffeine (Cr+C) on muscle phosphocreatine (PCr) level and performance in healthy male volunteers (n = 9). Before and after 6 days of placebo, Cr (0.5 g x kg-1 x day-1), or Cr (0.5 g x kg-1 x day-1) + C (5 mg x kg-1 x day-1) supplementation, 31P-nuclear magnetic resonance spectroscopy of the gastrocnemius muscle and a maximal intermittent exercise fatigue test of the knee extensors on an isokinetic dynamometer were performed. The exercise consisted of three consecutive maximal isometric contractions and three interval series of 90, 80, and 50 maximal voluntary contractions performed with a rest interval of 2 min between the series. Muscle ATP concentration remained constant over the three experimental conditions. Cr and Cr+C increased (P < 0.05) muscle PCr concentration by 4-6%. Dynamic torque production, however, was increased by 10-23% (P < 0.05) by Cr but was not changed by Cr+C. Torque improvement during Cr was most prominent immediately after the 2-min rest between the exercise bouts. The data show that Cr supplementation elevates muscle PCr concentration and markedly improves performance during intense intermittent exercise. This ergogenic effect, however, is completely eliminated by caffeine intake.

PMID: 8929583 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby samurai69 » Wed May 20, 2009 8:13 am

do you have any articles etc written about the effects of high dose creatine supplementation oneither athletes or general test subjects

Ephor - one of five powerful civil magistrates in Spartan government, elected annually by the Assembly.

"I thought I was hard done by, when I had no shoes, until I saw a man who had no feet"]

http://www.newspartangym.co.nr
samurai69
Ephor
Ephor

Postby Cookie » Wed May 20, 2009 3:02 pm

Will have a look

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby samurai69 » Wed May 20, 2009 3:20 pm

ONE SMART COOKIE wrote:Will have a look

cheers

not too science'y....my brain cant handle that

Ephor - one of five powerful civil magistrates in Spartan government, elected annually by the Assembly.

"I thought I was hard done by, when I had no shoes, until I saw a man who had no feet"]

http://www.newspartangym.co.nr
samurai69
Ephor
Ephor

Previous

Return to Nutrition