Change font size

Nutrition

Eat your cereals & milk

Syssitia : The communal & military mess of adult Spartan warriors

Moderator: Moderators

Eat your cereals & milk

Postby Cookie » Sun May 17, 2009 5:22 pm

Opinions please :grin:

Milk and cereal help to speed up recovery after exercise as much as expensive sports drinks, new findings from the University of Texas suggest.

Researchers found that athletes were just as replenished after exercise with a bowl of wheat flakes and skimmed milk as they were with many modern sports drinks which claim to rehydrate and re-energise the muscles.

They found that the traditional breakfast was just as good at replenishing blood sugar and insulin levels and that protein production was even better than with the so-called energy drinks.
The milk also helped reduce lactic acid levels in the blood, the compound that causes stiffness after exercise.

Lynne Kammer, exercise physiologist at the University of Texas, said: "What we showed was that cereal and milk was good for protein synthesis, or muscle rebuilding, after exercise. Because of the protein in the milk you would expect to see this.
"But what was most surprising was the lactate in the blood was greatly reduced after consuming the cereal and milk as compared to the sports drink – and that's a good thing."
The team got eight men and four women to fast for 12 hours and then cycle for 2 hours at least 5 days apart on a stationary bicycle.
After each ride, the athletes consumed either a 100-per cent whole-wheat flake cereal with non-fat milk or a typical carbohydrate- packed sports drink.

The drink and the small meal both produced a healthy rise in blood sugar and insulin levels. But during recovery cereal raised insulin significantly more and blunted the rise in blood lactate compared with the sports drink.

Miss Kammer, whose findings are published in the Journal of the International Society of Sports Nutrition, said: "Cereal and non-fat milk are a less expensive option than sports drinks.
"The milk provides a source of easily digestible and high quality protein, which can promote protein synthesis and training adaptations, making this an attractive recovery option for those who refuel at home."

The researchers concluded that, for amateur athletes and moderately physically active individuals who are trying to keep in shape, popping into the kitchen for a quick bowl of whole-grain cereal with a splash of skimmed milk may be a smarter move than investing in a high-priced sports drink.

Background
This study compared the effects of ingesting cereal and nonfat milk (Cereal) and a carbohydrate- electrolyte sports drink (Drink) immediately following endurance exercise on muscle glycogen synthesis and the phosphorylation state of proteins controlling protein synthesis: Akt, mTOR, rpS6 and eIF4E.

Methods
Trained cyclists or triathletes (8 male: 28.0+/-1.6 yrs, 1.8+/-0.0 m, 75.4+/-3.2 kg, 61.0+/-1.6 ml O2 * kg-1 * min-1; 4 female: 25.3+/-1.7 yrs, 1.7+/-0.0 m, 66.9+/-4.6 kg, 46.4+/-1.2 mlO2 * kg-1 * min-1) completed two randomly-ordered trials serving as their own controls. After 2 hours of cycling at 60-65% VO2MAX, a biopsy from the vastus lateralis was obtained (Post0), then subjects consumed either Drink (78.5 g carbohydrate) or Cereal (77 g carbohydrate, 19.5 g protein and 2.7 g fat). Blood was drawn before and at the end of exercise, and at 15, 30 and 60 minutes after treatment. A second biopsy was taken 60 minutes after supplementation (Post60). Differences within and between treatments were tested using repeated measures ANOVA.

Results
At Post60, blood glucose was similar between treatments (Drink 6.1+/-0.3, Cereal 5.6+/-0.2 mmol/L, p<.05), but after Cereal, plasma insulin was significantly higher (Drink 123.1+/-11.8, Cereal 191.0+/-12.3 pmol/L, p<.05), and plasma lactate significantly lower (Drink 1.4+/-0.1, Cereal 1.00+/-0.1 mmol/L, p<.05). Except for higher phosphorylation of mTOR after Cereal, glycogen and muscle proteins were not statistically different between treatments. Significant Post0 to Post60 changes occurred in glycogen (Drink 52.4+/-7.0 to 58.6+/-6.9, Cereal 58.7+/-9.6 to 66.0+/-10.0 mumol/g, p<.05) and rpS6 (Drink 17.9+/-2.5 to 35.2+/-4.9, Cereal 18.6+/-2.2 to 35.4+/-4.4 %Std, p<.05) for each treatment, but only Cereal significantly affected glycogen synthase (Drink 66.6+/-6.9 to 64.9+/-6.9, Cereal 61.1+/-8.0 to 54.2+/-7.2%Std, p<.05), Akt (Drink 57.9+/-3.2 to 55.7+/-3.1, Cereal 53.2+/-4.1 to 60.5+/-3.7 %Std, p<.05) and mTOR (Drink 28.7+/-4.4 to 35.4+/-4.5, Cereal 23.0+/-3.1 to 42.2+/-2.5 %Std, p<.05). eIF4E was unchanged after both treatments.

Conclusion
These results suggest that Cereal is as good as a commercially- available sports drink in initiating post-exercise muscle recovery.
"If you don't have conditioning it doesn't matter how big your muscles are they ain't gonna reach their full potential!"

21st century Takism

"wyrd bið ful aræd" Destiny is Everything
Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Re: Eat your cereals & milk

Postby Scott » Sun May 17, 2009 7:00 pm

maybe the milk has added benefits but is it not just simple carbs post workout?
certainly, a bowl of breakfast candy is far more tasty than and energy drink.
FIGHTING SOLVES EVERYTHING

Get Dropped But I'm Right Back In

Wendy Who Web Development
Scott
Dioscuri
Dioscuri

Postby Cookie » Wed May 20, 2009 4:50 pm

Scott wrote:maybe the milk has added benefits but is it not just simple carbs post workout?

I think it is the magnesium or calcium in the milk that will help to buffer the lactic acid (Tak will know) plus the milk has lactose which is a relatively slow burning CHO if I remember correctly with the cereal adding the fast sugars for the spike.

Next weight session I`ll try it to see what happens
"If you don't have conditioning it doesn't matter how big your muscles are they ain't gonna reach their full potential!"

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby fits » Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:16 am

Cookie wrote:
Scott wrote:maybe the milk has added benefits but is it not just simple carbs post workout?

I think it is the magnesium or calcium in the milk that will help to buffer the lactic acid (Tak will know) plus the milk has lactose which is a relatively slow burning CHO if I remember correctly with the cereal adding the fast sugars for the spike.

Next weight session I`ll try it to see what happens

So what happened?
Long John silver has nothing on me
fits
Polemarch.
Polemarch.

Postby lil john » Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:27 am

the effects on milk reducing the latic acid in the blood is interesting. so latic acid in the blood is what causes sore ness.
Rebuilding the BEAR
lil john
Ephor
Ephor

Postby Cookie » Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:10 pm

fits wrote:So what happened?

I forgot to try :lol:

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Misthios » Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:27 pm

Hi
Im new at this site, but have been experimenting with this as post workout meal:
Buttermilk
water
oats

I really like this one and has worked very well.
Misthios
Helot
Helot

Postby Cookie » Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:41 pm

Misthios wrote:Hi
Im new at this site, but have been experimenting with this as post workout meal:
Buttermilk
water
oats

I really like this one and has worked very well.

Welcome to the site Misthios,

Never used or even seen buttermilk in the UK

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby tomato » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:58 pm

there are more total calories in the milk and cereal condition compared to the CHO drink
protein and CHO combined

only the 60 minute results are reported
as cereal is more slowly released any differences may be more apparent at this time rather that earlier on 15, 30 and 60, would need to see the full results for this though

it would have been fairer to compare cereal and milk, to a CHO and protein drink of the same caloric values.

and possibly to follow up this study it may be good to see how both conditions actually impact on performance. i.e an endurance test to failure within a few hours

that what i think anyway :oops: i will try to find the study in full
tomato
Hoplite
Hoplite

Postby Misthios » Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:25 am

Hi
well I have heard it been called sour milk as well and its basically the low fat rawmilk product which is generated through churning butter, to this milk is then added yoghurt bacteria which actually protetcs the enzymes and aminoacids in the raw milk from the pasturizing proces, thereby making them better absorbed by the body and also helps strenghtening the immunesystem in the stomach.

:smile:

Misthios
Misthios
Helot
Helot

Postby Cookie » Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:38 pm

tomato wrote:there are more total calories in the milk and cereal condition compared to the CHO drink
protein and CHO combined

only the 60 minute results are reported
as cereal is more slowly released any differences may be more apparent at this time rather that earlier on 15, 30 and 60, would need to see the full results for this though

it would have been fairer to compare cereal and milk, to a CHO and protein drink of the same caloric values.

and possibly to follow up this study it may be good to see how both conditions actually impact on performance. i.e an endurance test to failure within a few hours

that what i think anyway :oops: i will try to find the study in full

If you can find any other studies it would be great :grin:

As with all things it is very hard to cover all the bases even when they try to with any testing.

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Cookie » Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:38 pm

Misthios wrote:Hi
well I have heard it been called sour milk as well and its basically the low fat rawmilk product which is generated through churning butter, to this milk is then added yoghurt bacteria which actually protetcs the enzymes and aminoacids in the raw milk from the pasturizing proces, thereby making them better absorbed by the body and also helps strenghtening the immunesystem in the stomach.

:smile:

Misthios

Anything that boosts the immune system is a great addition.

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Next

Return to Nutrition