It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:17 pm
Change font size

Nutrition

Joint Care

Syssitia : The communal & military mess of adult Spartan warriors

Moderator: Moderators

Joint Care

Postby Cookie » Sun May 31, 2009 4:55 pm

Glucosamine Sulphate Few people realize that glucosamine is actually a combination of the amino acid glutamine and the sugar glucose. It is found primarily in joint cartilage. The body incorporates supplemental glucosamine into molecules called proteoglycans, which are part of joint cartilage and work to maintain the integrity of the joint and repair damaged cartilage. Research shows that glucosamine stimulates the generation of new cartilage by activating cartilage-producing cells known as chondrocytes. As a result, and as numerous studies confirm, glucosamine can help to alleviate the signs and symptoms of the joint wear and tear that can occur with heavy training. In fact, one study showed that glucosamine was as effective as ibuprofen for alleviating symptoms of osteoarthritis in the knee.

Curcumin Curcumin is the active ingredient in turmeric, which is a spice used in many curry dishes. Research confirms that curcumin relieves pain and inflammation in patients suffering from rheumatoid arthritis. Research also shows that it is actually superior to some nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs for alleviating inflammation following surgery. A study from University of Arizona (Tucson) reported that rats given turmeric extracts after being injected with an arthritis-inducing solution had a 70% greater reduction in cartilage destruction than rats given a placebo. Curcumin's ability to protect joints stems from its active ingredients, curcuminoids, which can inhibit a protein that instigates chemical steps in the body that result in inflammation.

Stack it like this Take 1,500-2,000 milligrams of glucosamine per day, in two or three divided doses. For curcumin, take 200-500 mg of turmeric-containing supplements that are standardized to 95% curcumin, two or three times per day.
— Jim Stoppani, PhD

References: R. Braham et al., \"The effect of glucosamine supplementation on people experiencing regular knee pain," British Journal of Sports Medicine, 37:45-49,2003; J. Funk et al., \"Efficacy and mechanism of action of turmeric supplements in the treatment of experimental arthritis," Arthritis & Rheumatism, 54(11)3452-64,2006.
"If you don't have conditioning it doesn't matter how big your muscles are they ain't gonna reach their full potential!"

21st century Takism

"wyrd bið ful aræd" Destiny is Everything
Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Re: Joint Care

Postby Scott » Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:37 am

For curcumin, take 200-500 mg of turmeric-containing supplements that are standardized to 95% curcumin

where abouts would you find this?
couldnt find any on zipvit. H&B had one with ginger and stuff in it..... dunno.

also... do we agree with the article? 1.5 - 2 gram glucosamine per day, would that be about right with or without the curcumin?

joint care is something Im wanting to start sorting out.
FIGHTING SOLVES EVERYTHING

Get Dropped But I'm Right Back In

Wendy Who Web Development
Scott
Dioscuri
Dioscuri

Postby samurai69 » Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:23 am

i take 4 1000mg tablets per day now

as far as the tumeric.........i knew about its A I effects, but never seen tablets for it here......i always use loads in my curries, but it does stain everything yellow

Ephor - one of five powerful civil magistrates in Spartan government, elected annually by the Assembly.

"I thought I was hard done by, when I had no shoes, until I saw a man who had no feet"]

http://www.newspartangym.co.nr
samurai69
Ephor
Ephor

Postby Scott » Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:34 am

yeah... I dont eat curries [-(

I noticed that maximuscles 'ache free' supp has 95% curcumin in it along with the glucosamine, chodriton and stuff. Far too expensive of course :roll:

Scott
Dioscuri
Dioscuri

Postby Cookie » Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:45 pm

Scott wrote:
where abouts would you find this?
couldnt find any on zipvit. H&B had one with ginger and stuff in it..... dunno.

also... do we agree with the article? 1.5 - 2 gram glucosamine per day, would that be about right with or without the curcumin?

joint care is something Im wanting to start sorting out.

Ginger is good for the circulation, I will be asking my local herbalist this week about the turmeric stuff & if he hasn`t got them ask wether it`ll be alright just to add a little to some milk or hot drink.
"If you don't have conditioning it doesn't matter how big your muscles are they ain't gonna reach their full potential!"

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Scott » Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:57 pm

ok... zipvit have them :roll: I was looking under curcumin but better luck with a search on tumeric, also is the 95% dealie.

Scott
Dioscuri
Dioscuri

Postby Scott » Mon Jun 08, 2009 1:07 pm

just ordered some Glucosamine & turmeric (95% Curcumin ) I fully expect to be bulletproof within the week.

Scott
Dioscuri
Dioscuri

Postby Cookie » Mon Jun 08, 2009 1:11 pm

Scott wrote:just ordered some Glucosamine & turmeric (95% Curcumin ) I fully expect to be bulletproof within the week.

If they work for you then I`ll look into getting some.

Remember you need to take glucosamine everyday for 8 weeks to get full benefits.

NO MISSED DAYS

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Scott » Mon Jun 08, 2009 1:26 pm

ONE SMART COOKIE wrote:If they work for you then I`ll look into getting some.

Remember you need to take glucosamine everyday for 8 weeks to get full benefits.

NO MISSED DAYS

AH yes! now that you mention that, I remember the 8 week thing. ok.... bulletproof in 8 weeks then.

will it kick in at all when you first start taking it or does it need this 'loading' type phase before its any good?

Scott
Dioscuri
Dioscuri

Postby Cookie » Mon Jun 08, 2009 1:28 pm

Scott wrote:
will it kick in at all when you first start taking it or does it need this 'loading' type phase before its any good?

As far as I am aware the full 8 weeks then you start to feel/reap the benefits, unless of course someone else can enlighten me.

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby dunster » Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:12 pm

i actually bought some glucosamine without reading this, i have fucked joints. i will let you know how it turns out. i didnt know about the 8 week thing though so i will be sure to use that as some sort of yard stick
dunster
Lochagos
Lochagos

Postby samurai69 » Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:00 pm

ONE SMART COOKIE wrote:
Scott wrote:just ordered some Glucosamine & turmeric (95% Curcumin ) I fully expect to be bulletproof within the week.

If they work for you then I`ll look into getting some.

NO MISSED DAYS

dont expect anything in 8 weeks................thats the minimum time

up to 3 months
Ephor - one of five powerful civil magistrates in Spartan government, elected annually by the Assembly.

"I thought I was hard done by, when I had no shoes, until I saw a man who had no feet"]

http://www.newspartangym.co.nr
samurai69
Ephor
Ephor

Next

Return to Nutrition