It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:43 pm
Change font size

Nutrition

When a calorie isn`t a calorie

Syssitia : The communal & military mess of adult Spartan warriors

Moderator: Moderators

When a calorie isn`t a calorie

Postby Cookie » Sat Jul 18, 2009 1:39 pm

For the UK guys have a look in this months "new scientist" magazine...just read at newsagents :lol: ....all about calories.............
"If you don't have conditioning it doesn't matter how big your muscles are they ain't gonna reach their full potential!"

21st century Takism

"wyrd bið ful aræd" Destiny is Everything
Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Re: When a calorie isn`t a calorie

Postby Cookie » Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:06 am

So no one has a newsagents that they could pop along to have a look at this months issue :roll:

I will save your poor feet the journey...........

They were calling into the question the use of food labelling & the Atwater system used to calculate calories & how many calories are contained within a certain food source or product. Pointing out that the way a food is cooked, combined & chewed would alter the total calories you would obtain from said product/source.
"If you don't have conditioning it doesn't matter how big your muscles are they ain't gonna reach their full potential!"

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby jamesy101 » Tue Jul 21, 2009 5:40 pm

So again the "science" used on food packaging is challenged by a reputable source. It's a shame the vast majority of people look at "X calories and 0 fat" and assume that makes it healthy.
jamesy101
Helot
Helot

Postby Cookie » Tue Jul 21, 2009 5:42 pm

jamesy101 wrote:So again the "science" used on food packaging is challenged by a reputable source. It's a shame the vast majority of people look at "X calories and 0 fat" and assume that makes it healthy.

TBH I think I will buy this edition just so that I can reread the article & digest (no pun intended) the information better.

Had a couple good article from that magazine so it is one worth looking at when I go do the weekly shop.

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby jamesy101 » Tue Jul 21, 2009 6:30 pm

http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg2 ... wrong.html

There you go. It makes for a good read, it sounds like the method for estimating calories is basically what we did in school science lessons.
jamesy101
Helot
Helot

Postby Cookie » Tue Jul 21, 2009 6:40 pm

jamesy101 wrote:http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg20327171.200-the-calorie-delusion-why-food-labels-are-wrong.html

There you go. It makes for a good read, it sounds like the method for estimating calories is basically what we did in school science lessons.

Cheers matey :smt023

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby jamesy101 » Tue Jul 21, 2009 6:48 pm

You're welcome, may as well save people money. Anyway, it's worth a read although I would imagine small calorie margins aren't likely to have huge long-term impacts on active people.
jamesy101
Helot
Helot

Postby tomato » Mon Jul 27, 2009 2:34 pm

i think that the ammount of calories a person needs is very individualised, using an estimate of 2000/2500 cals per day is just a rough idea and many people will vary depending on their physiology and activity levels etc

with this is mind a persons diet should be individualised also, if a person is overweight they should eat less, and if a person is underweight they should eat more (of the right foods of course) using their current calorific intake as a baseline individual to them

and just beacuse a person chhoses the lower calorie option doesnt mean they are going to be healthy, if their eating too much of it, or it is crap in the first plce??

im not saying a more accurate measure isnt needed, as all good science is based on accurate information
but with their being so many different variable to account for the system is not consistant to start with,

i fink i explained that right anyway lol
tomato
Hoplite
Hoplite

Postby fits » Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:10 am

How long does it take for these people to catch on?
Long John silver has nothing on me
fits
Polemarch.
Polemarch.

Postby Cookie » Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:10 pm

fits wrote:How long does it take for these people to catch on?

Which people?

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby fits » Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:43 pm

Cookie wrote:
fits wrote:How long does it take for these people to catch on?

Which people?

Govenment people, scientist, media.
Long John silver has nothing on me
fits
Polemarch.
Polemarch.

Postby Cookie » Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:44 pm

fits wrote:Government people, scientist, media.

Usually when there are either votes, publicity or money to be made from bringing the information forwards.

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Next

Return to Nutrition