It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:50 pm
Change font size

Nutrition

Peppermint

Syssitia : The communal & military mess of adult Spartan warriors

Moderator: Moderators

Peppermint

Postby Cookie » Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:38 pm

A study published in the Journal of Sport & Exercise Psychology had 40 ahtletes undertake a variety of tasks, among them a measure of grip strength, a 400-meter dash and push-ups to exhaustion. When the subjects attempted the tasks while inhaling peppermint oil, they had increased grip strength, a faster time in the 400 and could complete on average two more push-ups.

Peppermint oil is available at supermarkets, so trying dabbing some under your nose to get the absolute most out of your workout.

Journal of Sport & Exercise Psychology, 23:156-160, 2001

Anybody have access to a bigger study?
"If you don't have conditioning it doesn't matter how big your muscles are they ain't gonna reach their full potential!"

21st century Takism

"wyrd bið ful aræd" Destiny is Everything
Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Re: Peppermint

Postby Scott » Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:04 pm

why would that work?
is it opening up nasal passages for more oxygen or something, kinda like the footballers who smear vicks on their tops?
FIGHTING SOLVES EVERYTHING

Get Dropped But I'm Right Back In

Wendy Who Web Development
Scott
Dioscuri
Dioscuri

Postby Cookie » Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:14 pm

Scott wrote:why would that work?
is it opening up nasal passages for more oxygen or something, kinda like the footballers who smear vicks on their tops?

Thats why I`m looking for some bigger, more complete studies :grin:
"If you don't have conditioning it doesn't matter how big your muscles are they ain't gonna reach their full potential!"

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Scott » Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:23 pm

Cookie wrote:

well until the takmaster turns up :mrgreen: what would be your 'hunch'?
FIGHTING SOLVES EVERYTHING

Get Dropped But I'm Right Back In

Wendy Who Web Development
Scott
Dioscuri
Dioscuri

Postby Cookie » Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:47 am

Scott wrote:
Cookie wrote:

well until the takmaster turns up :mrgreen: what would be your 'hunch'?

I know peppermint tea works wonders for some IBS sufferers & those with an upset stomach (gas).

I might have to get some to see if it works, then compare against normal smelling salts & then Nose Tork which Al is currently using.

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Cookie » Sat Aug 01, 2009 2:05 pm

A number of quotes that may be of added interest in the use of odours as an ergogenic aid.

A series of studies has recently begun to emerge centering on the ability of
odors to influence mood. Knasko (1992) found that participants report fewer health
symptoms in the presence of lemon odor

although there is evidence that these odors have significant
and widespread effects on the central nervous system (Kobal & Hummel,
1989; Lorig & Schwartz, 1988; Van Toller, 1988). These researchers noted substantial
changes in EEG activity when various odors were administered.

Even during sleep, the presentation of peppermint odor results in a greater incidence of high frequency EEG bursts (similar to awake EEGs), increased heart rate, and inhibition
of EMG activity (Badia, Wesensten, Lammers, Culpepper, & Harsh, 1990).

Peppermint odor significantly reduced perceived physical workload,
temporal workload, effort, and frustration. Self-evaluated performance was also
greater in the peppermint condition, as participants rated their level of vigor higher
and their level of fatigue lower.

While the mean difference between the no-odor and the peppermint-odor conditions was quite small, effect-size measures for the statistically significant tests approached the moderate range. In addition, the use of peppermint as an ergogenic aid appears to be associated with larger effect sizes than other aids such as caffeine (Spriett, 1995) and nasal dilators (Connel & Fregosi, 1993; Griffin, Hunter,Ferguson, & Sillers, 1997), and appears comparable to aids such as relaxation and imagery (Meyers & Schleser, 1980; Predebon & Docker, 1992; Wrisberg & Anshel,(1989) and "psyching up" (Caudill, Weinberg, & Jackson, 1983; Weinberg, Gould,& Jackson, 1980, 1981).

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby firebear369 » Sun Aug 02, 2009 4:41 pm

http://www.senseofsmell.org/papers/B_Ra ... ermint.pdf

This is a link to a 2004 study conducted by a PhD in psychology and discusses improvements in physical and mental performance as well as increase in pain tolerance.

Theories for improved performance center around increased inhalation, enriching the blood with significantly more oxygen. Also, peppermint seems to improve central nervous system function in lab mice.

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/drug ... rmint.html

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/y2002/0189608.html
nosce te ipsum
firebear369
Lochagos
Lochagos

Postby Cookie » Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:50 am

firebear369 wrote:http://www.senseofsmell.org/papers/B_Raudenbush_peppermint.pdf

This is a link to a 2004 study conducted by a PhD in psychology and discusses improvements in physical and mental performance as well as increase in pain tolerance.

Theories for improved performance center around increased inhalation, enriching the blood with significantly more oxygen. Also, peppermint seems to improve central nervous system function in lab mice.

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/drug ... rmint.html

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/y2002/0189608.html

Thanks FB369 some reading there :grin:

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby fits » Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:08 am

Interesting. I recently bought some essential oil of peppermint to add to a 'juice' concoction to help relieve congestion. Helps awaken the blood flow, opens up the respiratory system nicely
Long John silver has nothing on me
fits
Polemarch.
Polemarch.

Postby Cookie » Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:09 pm

fits wrote:Interesting. I recently bought some essential oil of peppermint to add to a 'juice' concoction to help relieve congestion. Helps awaken the blood flow, opens up the respiratory system nicely

What is in the concoction?

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby fits » Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:44 pm

Cookie wrote:
fits wrote:Interesting. I recently bought some essential oil of peppermint to add to a 'juice' concoction to help relieve congestion. Helps awaken the blood flow, opens up the respiratory system nicely

Brandy, Raw Honey, one to two drops of peppermint. mix up and down about a shots worth. give nice warming effect too.
Long John silver has nothing on me
fits
Polemarch.
Polemarch.

Postby Cookie » Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:56 pm

fits wrote:
Cookie wrote:

Brandy, Raw Honey, one to two drops of peppermint. mix up and down about a shots worth. give nice warming effect too.

That bit sounds good :lol:

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Return to Nutrition