It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:50 pm
Change font size

Nutrition

Supplement Roundtable

Syssitia : The communal & military mess of adult Spartan warriors

Moderator: Moderators

Supplement Roundtable

Postby Scott » Sat Aug 01, 2009 6:21 pm

any supplements you consider an absolute must have and any you consider all mouth and no trousers?
I have a sneaking suspicion that the 'all hype' column will be the busiest!

obviously they are goal dependant but stuff I would consider a must, probably whatever training goal, would be a protein powder supplement of some kind. I could get by on that alone but Ive also been impressed with ZMA.
So the win column for me has - whey, zma.
the 'not impressed' column has - creatine, I know Im probably the only one that it doesnt do anything for. biotests hot rox I also thought were a waste of time.

I liked pro recover but wouldnt spend the cash on it these days in favour of a whey shake and a banana.

L-Glutamine? Am I missing out not taking this?

what about the miriade of test boosting 'pretend' steroids? Ive never really heard many people actually getting much from them.
FIGHTING SOLVES EVERYTHING

Get Dropped But I'm Right Back In

Wendy Who Web Development
Scott
Dioscuri
Dioscuri

Re: Supplement Roundtable

Postby Cookie » Sat Aug 01, 2009 6:42 pm

Musts:

Fish oils, multi vit/min, BCAA`s.
"If you don't have conditioning it doesn't matter how big your muscles are they ain't gonna reach their full potential!"

21st century Takism

"wyrd bið ful aræd" Destiny is Everything
Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Scott » Sat Aug 01, 2009 6:48 pm

Cookie wrote:Musts:

Fish oils, multi vit/min, BCAA`s.

why are they in your 'must have' column, what d'ya get out of them?

Scott
Dioscuri
Dioscuri

Postby Cookie » Sat Aug 01, 2009 6:56 pm

Scott wrote: why are they in your 'must have' column, what d'ya get out of them?

Fish oils to balance out the 3-6 ratios

Multi vit/min to make up for those lost via day to day activities & what is missing from soil levels.

BCAA`s for recovery & muscle fuel.
"If you don't have conditioning it doesn't matter how big your muscles are they ain't gonna reach their full potential!"

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Scott » Sat Aug 01, 2009 8:47 pm

Cookie wrote:BCAA`s for recovery & muscle fuel.

been using them myself recently.

Scott wrote:L-Glutamine? Am I missing out not taking this?

what about the miriade of test boosting 'pretend' steroids? Ive never really heard many people actually getting much from them.

Scott
Dioscuri
Dioscuri

Postby Cookie » Sat Aug 01, 2009 8:51 pm

Scott wrote:L-Glutamine? Am I missing out not taking this?

50/50 on this one as I only tried a small amount so was not sure if it was just a placebo effect I got.

Depends on what you refer to as "pretend" steroids, there are a lot of designer (new name for pro hormones etc) that are TBH much stronger than some of the lower end steroids, & have just the same side effects.

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Scott » Sat Aug 01, 2009 9:04 pm

Some companies are recommending doseages of 30-40g of l-glut per day. It 'sounds' good and I read about a ton of people who swear by it.

Cookie wrote:Depends on what you refer to as "pretend" steroids, there are a lot of designer (new name for pro hormones etc) that are TBH much stronger than some of the lower end steroids, & have just the same side effects.

I was thinking about the products like the methoxy-7 stuff which you wouldnt really class as a pro hormone.

or something stronger like m-stack.

Scott
Dioscuri
Dioscuri

Postby Scott » Sat Aug 01, 2009 9:13 pm

just to add..... I havent really read anything in forums by people who have used either the methoxy-7 or m-stak that would make me want to buy it but the promotional stuff that comes with these products sound fantastic!

Scott
Dioscuri
Dioscuri

Postby Cookie » Sat Aug 01, 2009 9:18 pm

Scott wrote:Some companies are recommending doseages of 30-40g of l-glut per day. It 'sounds' good and I read about a ton of people who swear by it.

Polquin recommends 50grams in your after training shake if BF is above 10%

I was thinking about the products like the methoxy-7 stuff which you wouldnt really class as a pro hormone.

or something stronger like m-stack.

Items like the above IMHO are nothing better than chemically tweaked steroids to get past the rules & regulations of the industry. Basically selling drugs disguised as supplements to the masses, end result is they are more often than not a gate way to full on drug use. Trouble with those & similar products is that they carry the same side effects as the real thing & most companies even bring out other "supplements" to use during & after the initial product has been used.

All a big scam that is putting peoples health at risk....IMHO....

I`ve used a couple of those products out of curiosity in the past & the results are pretty shocking to say it is supposed to be a natural product.

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Scott » Sat Aug 01, 2009 11:12 pm

Cookie wrote:[

I wonder what he bases that on. dont suppose he also recommended a certain brand ;-)

PHD's methoxy-7 as far as I know passes the criteria for natty bb shows. that said I havent read any really great reviews from anyone who wasnt sponsered by them.

Scott
Dioscuri
Dioscuri

Postby fits » Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:38 am

Scott wrote:
Cookie wrote:[

I wonder what he bases that on. dont suppose he also recommended a certain brand ;-)

How dare you, We are not talking about Chad here!!!!! :mrgreen:

I think, supps wise it depends on what your looking at? personal views? or what we think people should use for health, or for getting bigger or cutting or all of above.

On a day to day basis, I would say every one should take EFA, EPO, VIt C, Vit E, Multi Vit and mineral, and possibly an extry Multi B Complex.

Extra i would add Garlic tab, Ginger (with garuanteed 5% Gingerol) Kelp & AlfaAlfa. Apple Pectin and Cold milled Flax seeds, Digestive enzymes if needed. HCl if low.

If your working out, Whey, Bcaa. (or just leucine), Creatine if you don't eat much meat/red meat, Glutamine - I have not used this for some time, but I rememebr using it years ago and definatelty felt it helped me recover.As soon as money got tight i dropped it, probably like allot of people do because its not one of these flashy supps that do something visible like give a good pump etc.
Long John silver has nothing on me
fits
Polemarch.
Polemarch.

Postby lil john » Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:44 am

never tried zma, and ages since bcaa's, maybe when training is back up ill try then

l-glutamine gave me the shits, so i stopped after couple days.

Daily i take multi vits ans minerals and glucaso,ine sulphate as it really really helps with my knees.
Rebuilding the BEAR
lil john
Ephor
Ephor

Next

Return to Nutrition