It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 12:28 am
Change font size

Nutrition

Old school recipes

Syssitia : The communal & military mess of adult Spartan warriors

Moderator: Moderators

Old school recipes

Postby Cookie » Fri Sep 25, 2009 6:54 am

Came into possession of an old recipe book pre 1930`s & have tried a few of them with quite some success.

Whipped cream Substitute
Add 1 sliced banana to 1 egg white & beat until still. banana will completely disappear & the mixture will resemble a very sweet whipped cream.

My take would be to add a 2nd egg white & beat the mixture till it resembles meringue then slowly bake small dollops of the mixture to have as a desert.

Vanilla Cream
1/2 oz gelatine
2 eggs
1/2 teaspoon vanilla flavouring
1 pint milk
2 tablespoons sugar

Dissolve gelatine in milk over a very low heat (don`t let milk boil). Mix egg yolks, vanilla & sugar together then add to milk & stir continuously till mixture thickens. Beat egg whites till stiff then pour thickened milk mixture over whites.

Tried this yesterday & played with the recipe a little by adding in an extra 1/2 oz gelatine & letting the mixture set overnight. Had it for breakfast this morning & it tastes very nice :grin:

Using a vanilla pod would give a much better flavour & omitting the extra gelatine would allow you to use it as a healthier alternative to commercial custard if you intended to use it before the gelatine has time to set.

Another food source that has been eaten frequently recently in our household has been ox heart, takes some preparing but when you consider having 2lbs of meat for £3 you can`t go wrong & it makes a fantastic stew cooked in the slow cooker for 8+hours.

More recipes to follow as I make my way through the booklet.
"If you don't have conditioning it doesn't matter how big your muscles are they ain't gonna reach their full potential!"

21st century Takism

"wyrd bið ful aræd" Destiny is Everything
Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Re: Old school recipes

Postby Scott » Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:09 am

interesting.........

I'll need to keep an eye on this post.
FIGHTING SOLVES EVERYTHING

Get Dropped But I'm Right Back In

Wendy Who Web Development
Scott
Dioscuri
Dioscuri

Postby Cookie » Fri Sep 25, 2009 11:09 am

Scott wrote:interesting.........

I'll need to keep an eye on this post.

I hope to be exploring things of this nature much more, recent purchases of old materials just reinforce the notion that we are constantly conned when it comes to the information put out there that is suppose to be for our benefits, yet when I read the old literature I have it has already been put out there decades ago & the new stuff is just twisted to sound up to date.
"If you don't have conditioning it doesn't matter how big your muscles are they ain't gonna reach their full potential!"

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Scott » Fri Sep 25, 2009 11:40 am

Cookie wrote: old materials just reinforce the notion that we are constantly conned when it comes to the information put out there that is suppose to be for our benefits.

Like when the nutella advert tells us that it is a slow releasing carb and you should give it to your kids from breakfast... on white bread!
or when chris hoy hints that his olympic gold winning acheivements were build on a foundation of kelloggs bran flakes :roll:
yep. constantly lied to. :evil:

Scott
Dioscuri
Dioscuri

Postby Cookie » Fri Sep 25, 2009 2:36 pm

Scott wrote: Like when the nutella advert tells us that it is a slow releasing carb and you should give it to your kids from breakfast... on white bread!
or when chris hoy hints that his olympic gold winning acheivements were build on a foundation of kelloggs bran flakes :roll:
yep. constantly lied to. :evil:

Something along those lines :lol:

And more of "there is nothing new under the sun"

Currently have a "strengthening tonic" on the make which will take 2 days to do, more on that to follow.

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Cookie » Fri Sep 25, 2009 6:01 pm

2nd gelatine dish not quite as planned, must have done something wrong, taste test tomorrow..

Strength tonic :shock: liquid acquirement process is acquiring quite a lot of liquid in very short space of time :shock:

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Scott » Fri Sep 25, 2009 11:42 pm

LOL! strength tonic! I can just picture you in some hick town selling it to rednecks! :mrgreen:

....and yes... in that very same picture I'd be buying it!

wtf is it :shock: sounds great!

Scott
Dioscuri
Dioscuri

Postby Cookie » Sat Sep 26, 2009 11:47 am

Scott wrote:LOL! strength tonic! I can just picture you in some hick town selling it to rednecks! :mrgreen:

....and yes... in that very same picture I'd be buying it!

wtf is it :shock: sounds great!

All in good time :lol:

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Cookie » Sat Sep 26, 2009 6:18 pm

Taste tested 2nd gelatine dish with homemade blackberry ice cream :smt023

Moonshine
1oz gelatine
1 pint boiling water
4oz sugar
2 lemons

Dissolve gelatin in a little cold water then add boiling water with lemon rind & sugar. Boil for 15 minutes then add juice of 2 lemons. Put to one side to allow to cool till nearly cold then whisk till snowy in colour, put in mould to set.

Did n`t quite go cloudy when whisked so some work needed there, during setting process all the rind sank to bottom so will wait a little longer next time before putting into refrigerator. Next time will swap sugar for fruit sugar & reduce dose, liking the gelatine dishes as it makes it a nice way to add this to the diet as a joint protective measure along with glucosamine etcetera.

24 hours still to go before testing strengthening tonic but spoke with herbalist today & he thinks it will be beneficial to some degree.

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Cookie » Sun Sep 27, 2009 3:56 pm

Strengthening Tonic
1lb beetroot
1/2lb dmerara sugar
1 pint bottle Guinness stout

Peel & slice beetroot then cover in sugar & leave to stand for 48 hours, strain & add to stout.

What could be simpler :lol:

Yes well erm it certainly is different, had a wee tipple after training today & you can taste the sweet beetroot through the bitter sharpness of the Guinness. Spoke with herbalist yesterday & was saying the beetroot is currently being touted as the new "superfood" well surprise surprise if the media have n`t managed to get hold of the same book as me..Money grabbing...$%£"*

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby samurai69 » Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:50 am

Cookie wrote: Spoke with herbalist yesterday & was saying the beetroot is currently being touted as the new "superfood" well surprise surprise if the media have n`t managed to get hold of the same book as me..Money grabbing...$%£"*

lol
Ephor - one of five powerful civil magistrates in Spartan government, elected annually by the Assembly.

"I thought I was hard done by, when I had no shoes, until I saw a man who had no feet"]

http://www.newspartangym.co.nr
samurai69
Ephor
Ephor

Postby Cookie » Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:20 am

Redoing the moonshine recipe to have only 1.5 oz of fructose which is far sweeter & lower GI than regular sugar. I am wondering of dropping sugar all together & adding in an extra lemon which are roughly 5 grams of natural sugars each, this would make it much sharper in taste but adding some sweet fruit would balance that out.

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Next

Return to Nutrition