Change font size

Nutrition

6 things about protein

Syssitia : The communal & military mess of adult Spartan warriors

Moderator: Moderators

Re: 6 things about protein

Postby Cookie » Sun Oct 11, 2009 12:08 pm

fits wrote:Digestion is massively overlooked i think

This is were conventional thinking/body-building goes horribly wrong, if the gut is lined with rubbish, undigested food waste, low on good bacteria, constantly bombarded with rushed liquid & solid food meals, a lot of that nutrition is going to pass through without being digested fully or even touched.

As was pointed out in the study above, the more experienced the athlete the more efficient the body becomes at protein uptake.
"If you don't have conditioning it doesn't matter how big your muscles are they ain't gonna reach their full potential!"

21st century Takism

"wyrd bið ful aræd" Destiny is Everything
Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Cookie » Sun Oct 25, 2009 12:59 pm

Curr Opin Clin Nutr Metab Care. 2009 Oct 16. [Epub ahead of print]

Evidence that protein requirements have been significantly underestimated.

PURPOSE OF REVIEW: This review discusses recent evidence that suggests a significant underestimation of protein requirements in adult humans. RECENT FINDINGS: Traditionally, total protein requirements for humans have been determined using nitrogen balance. The recent Dietary Reference Intake recommendations for mean and population-safe intakes of 0.66 and 0.8 g/kg/day, respectively, of high-quality protein in adult humans are based on a meta-analysis of nitrogen balance studies using single linear regression analysis. We reanalyzed existing nitrogen balance studies using two-phase linear regression analysis and obtained mean and safe protein requirements of 0.91 and 0.99 g/kg/day, respectively. The two-phase linear regression analysis is considered more appropriate for biological analysis of dose-response curves. Considering the inherent problems associated with the nitrogen balance method, we developed an alternative method, the indicator amino acid oxidation technique, to determine protein requirements The mean and population-safe requirements in adult men were determined to be 0.93 and 1.2 g/kg/day and are 41 and 50%, respectively, higher than the current Dietary Reference Intakes recommendations. SUMMARY: The indicator amino acid oxidation-based requirement values of 0.93 and 1.2 g protein/kg/day and the reanalysis of existing nitrogen balance studies are significantly higher than current recommendations. Therefore, there is an urgent need to reassess recommendations for protein intake in adult humans.
"If you don't have conditioning it doesn't matter how big your muscles are they ain't gonna reach their full potential!"

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby fits » Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:06 pm

I have been eating allot of Kiwis which are helping me, some pineapple too, not buying papaya, its so expensive but I also want to try some good Enzymes. My digestions always been a problem, over the years i have done just about everything i can to abuse it!
Long John silver has nothing on me
fits
Polemarch.
Polemarch.

Postby Cookie » Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:12 pm

Like kiwis myself & your post has just reminded me of their value for digestion. =D>
Attachments
index.pdf
(181.47 KiB) Downloaded 265 times

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby fits » Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:53 pm

Cookie wrote:Like kiwis myself & your post has just reminded me of their value for digestion. =D>

and they are cheap!
Long John silver has nothing on me
fits
Polemarch.
Polemarch.

Previous

Return to Nutrition