Change font size

Nutrition

6 things about protein

Syssitia : The communal & military mess of adult Spartan warriors

Moderator: Moderators

6 things about protein

Postby Scott » Sat Oct 03, 2009 5:29 pm

6 things you need to know about protein
I thought this was worth a read, from Tnation so you may need to wash the advertising stank off you at the end but still worth looking at.

Talks about the 'does protein turn to crap if cooked with' and optimum levels of protein per meal...... you may be surpised!
FIGHTING SOLVES EVERYTHING

Get Dropped But I'm Right Back In

Wendy Who Web Development
Scott
Dioscuri
Dioscuri

Re: 6 things about protein

Postby fits » Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:47 am

hey

i read that.

I am not convinced either what as yet. I wish you could cook with it, but I don't want to do it and then we read (again) that it does ruin it and i've been wasting time and money!

Some one needs to do a convincing study to put us out of our missery!
Long John silver has nothing on me
fits
Polemarch.
Polemarch.

Postby Scott » Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:41 am

fits wrote:hey

i read that.

I am not convinced either what as yet. I wish you could cook with it, but I don't want to do it and then we read (again) that it does ruin it and i've been wasting time and money!

Some one needs to do a convincing study to put us out of our missery!

I didnt like the 'get out' line where he goes "its not like you'll be cooking with whey every meal so dont worry about it" ( not word for word). I dont buy it myself either.

the bit about protein intake :
forty grams didn't stimulate protein synthesis greater than 20 grams.

what does that mean? anything over 20g at one go isnt used?

Scott
Dioscuri
Dioscuri

Postby Cookie » Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:50 am

Scott wrote: the bit about protein intake :

If there is any truth in that then it goes to show that Vince Gironda`s view of only eating 30 grams per meal to avoid waste was on the money :rock:
"If you don't have conditioning it doesn't matter how big your muscles are they ain't gonna reach their full potential!"

21st century Takism

"wyrd bið ful aræd" Destiny is Everything
Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Scott » Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:02 pm

This year, Tarnopolsky's lab did a study (2) to examine the effect of how different dosages of egg protein powder affected protein synthesis rates. Researchers had healthy men who had previous weight training experience perform intense resistance exercise and consume an egg protein drink that contained either 5, 10, 20, or 40 grams of protein.

Basically, Lowery explained that researchers found that increasing protein intake stimulated protein synthesis in a dose dependent manner up to 20 grams of protein, after which there was no further increase in protein synthesis. In other words, forty grams didn't stimulate protein synthesis greater than 20 grams.

Researchers speculated that consuming 20 grams of protein five or six times daily would be the optimal measure to increase anabolism and muscle mass.

the tests were on egg protein.

so does protein synthesis mean how much your body uses?

Scott
Dioscuri
Dioscuri

Postby Cookie » Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:10 pm

Scott wrote: the tests were on egg protein.

Which is the most complete protein around

so does protein synthesis mean how much your body uses?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protein_biosynthesis
"If you don't have conditioning it doesn't matter how big your muscles are they ain't gonna reach their full potential!"

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby fits » Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:11 pm

Cookie wrote:
Scott wrote: the bit about protein intake :

If there is any truth in that then it goes to show that Vince Gironda`s view of only eating 30 grams per meal to avoid waste was on the money :rock:

Yep, it is strange, I have read gironda's stuff then forgotten it then gone back, he really was a legend! If you look at the Dave Palumbo diet he advocates a modern version of one of gironda's cutting diets, I have noticed Charles poliquin in his training methods and nutrition and supplement protocols, mirrors Gironda's stuff as well as many others!

I have seen it written before about actual studies about the 20g of protein argument. However, we are all different, and there are studies to show that 1g pf protein per lbs of bodyweight is what is best for maximal growth, now put that argument to the side for a moment, and lets just say we do need around 220g of protein for a 100kg man, in 20g per meal portions, your talking 11 meals in a day! if you have 50g post work out in a day because we know we can handle more post work out, that still leaves allot of meals......

I think it will depend on the foods your combining with the protein and the source of protein. We are meat eaters, and we have no way of storing protein like we do fats and carbs so we need a steady stream of them. You can't tell me that when we were hacking up animals back in the day to survive, that when we ate a huge chunk of meat and could only absorb 20g of protein form it?
fits
Polemarch.
Polemarch.

Postby Cookie » Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:40 pm

fits wrote: Yep, it is strange, I have read gironda's stuff then forgotten it then gone back, he really was a legend! If you look at the Dave Palumbo diet he advocates a modern version of one of gironda's cutting diets, I have noticed Charles poliquin in his training methods and nutrition and supplement protocols, mirrors Gironda's stuff as well as many others!

What goes around hey :lol:

I have seen it written before about actual studies about the 20g of protein argument. However, we are all different, and there are studies to show that 1g pf protein per lbs of bodyweight is what is best for maximal growth, now put that argument to the side for a moment, and lets just say we do need around 220g of protein for a 100kg man, in 20g per meal portions, your talking 11 meals in a day! if you have 50g post work out in a day because we know we can handle more post work out, that still leaves allot of meals......

I`ve seen Russian studies in the past that stated 1 gram of protein per 1 kilo of lean body weight & 1 gram per pound was for "assisted" athletes.

I think it will depend on the foods your combining with the protein and the source of protein. We are meat eaters, and we have no way of storing protein like we do fats and carbs so we need a steady stream of them. You can't tell me that when we were hacking up animals back in the day to survive, that when we ate a huge chunk of meat and could only absorb 20g of protein form it?

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby fits » Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:56 pm

Cookie wrote:
fits wrote: Yep, it is strange, I have read gironda's stuff then forgotten it then gone back, he really was a legend! If you look at the Dave Palumbo diet he advocates a modern version of one of gironda's cutting diets, I have noticed Charles poliquin in his training methods and nutrition and supplement protocols, mirrors Gironda's stuff as well as many others!

What goes around hey :lol:

I`ve seen Russian studies in the past that stated 1 gram of protein per 1 kilo of lean body weight & 1 gram per pound was for "assisted" athletes.

I asked my Herbalist Friend about this, just for another opinion as he says he advises bodybuilders and used to lift himself. He said he advises people from 0.8 per Kilo to 1.8g per kg of bodyweight depending on what training and their activity levels.... he is a lover of fats, good animal as well as the good omegas, but he said he will start with about 40g of fat per day.. and work up from there.

he was also of the opinion that 40g of protein upon waking and post work out is a good amount but only up to 30g per meal is worth it. He says if the uptake is not sufficient then the aminos, including the likes of luecine will be turned into sugars in the body rather than going to do what they should in helping to build muscle. Along the lines of Gironda I would say.
fits
Polemarch.
Polemarch.

Postby Cookie » Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:59 pm

fits wrote:
I asked my Herbalist Friend about this, just for another opinion as he says he advises bodybuilders and used to lift himself. He said he advises people from 0.8 per Kilo to 1.8g per kg of bodyweight depending on what training and their activity levels.... he is a lover of fats, good animal as well as the good omegas, but he said he will start with about 40g of fat per day.. and work up from there.

he was also of the opinion that 40g of protein upon waking and post work out is a good amount but only up to 30g per meal is worth it. He says if the uptake is not sufficient then the aminos, including the likes of luecine will be turned into sugars in the body rather than going to do what they should in helping to build muscle. Along the lines of Gironda I would say.

Which fits in with the Russian studies. ;-)

Something I need to eat more of at breakfast

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby samurai69 » Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:21 pm

whilst talking about proteins at am, what about cottage cheese, is the casein going to have a slightly derrogatory effect as its breaks down slower than other proteins

as its easy to grab and eat when i get to gym

.but i feel quite tired after
Ephor - one of five powerful civil magistrates in Spartan government, elected annually by the Assembly.

"I thought I was hard done by, when I had no shoes, until I saw a man who had no feet"]

http://www.newspartangym.co.nr
samurai69
Ephor
Ephor

Postby Cookie » Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:25 pm

samurai69 wrote:whilst talking about proteins at am, what about cottage cheese, is the casein going to have a slightly derrogatory effect as its breaks down slower than other proteins

as its easy to grab and eat when i get to gym

.but i feel quite tired after

Best eaten before bed

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Next

Return to Nutrition