6 things about protein

Syssitia : The communal & military mess of adult Spartan warriors

Moderator: Moderators

Re: 6 things about protein

Postby samurai69 » Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:42 pm

Cookie wrote:
Best eaten before bed

yeh i know that, which was why i was asking
Ephor - one of five powerful civil magistrates in Spartan government, elected annually by the Assembly.

"I thought I was hard done by, when I had no shoes, until I saw a man who had no feet"]

http://www.newspartangym.co.nr
samurai69
Ephor
Ephor

Postby Cookie » Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:47 pm

samurai69 wrote: yeh i know that, which was why i was asking

I read wrong :oops: :lol:
"If you don't have conditioning it doesn't matter how big your muscles are they ain't gonna reach their full potential!"

21st century Takism

"wyrd bið ful aræd" Destiny is Everything
Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby tomato » Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:32 pm

i remeber reading somthing on protein intake stating 0.8 g protein per kg body weight is ideal for the general population

up to 1.8g/kg/bw for resistance training but only for beginners
this decreases to around 1.4g/kg/bw for more advanced lifters

it was stated that the more advanced lifters began to utilise the protein more effectively and did not need as much
the protein which is not needed is broken down and excreted as urine

interestingly it said that endurance athletes needed similar ammounts of protein 1.2-1.4kg/bw to rebuild the muscle tissue broken down and damaged through the long hard runs etc
ill try to find the reference for the study

also treat breakfast similarly to post training as your body is in a fasted state, i.e depleted of glycogen, so sugars combined with protein will help facilitate muscle resynthesis
tomato
Hoplite
Hoplite

Postby fits » Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:15 am

I struggle at breakfast time to consume 40g of protein, It is one time a shake is real handy. If you feel tired after cottage cheese then I guess 3 or 4 eggs would be no good to you? a shake is probably your best option. I like the Diatia cottage cheese ad yogurt shake but that's filling. I'm making an effort to fit more fruit in at breakfast time and I like it.

I have read a fair amount about just eating Fat ad protein at breakfast to help keep the body i nfat burning mode, but after experimenting It is my belief that breakfast is definitely the time to get in some good carbs, be it from fresh fruit or fibrous. The benefits seem to far out weigh ay benefits you have from ot eating them in the AM for when trying to encourage fat loss... unless you are on a strict Keto diet.

there's a Raw milk, Egg, Gelatine, Raw honey mix i want to try soon
;-)
Long John silver has nothing on me
fits
Polemarch.
Polemarch.

Postby samurai69 » Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:24 am

i used to make a shake with cottage cheese and rice milk and raisins.......wasnt so hard to drink and was about 30g of protein

Ephor - one of five powerful civil magistrates in Spartan government, elected annually by the Assembly.

"I thought I was hard done by, when I had no shoes, until I saw a man who had no feet"]

samurai69
Ephor
Ephor

Postby fits » Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:34 am

samurai69 wrote:i used to make a shake with cottage cheese and rice milk and raisins.......wasnt so hard to drink and was about 30g of protein

Sounds good, I want to make some Almond milk but it works out bloody expensive! Why are protein foods so damn hard, or seem so hard to get hold of, or transport? they normally need to be cooked, or kept chilled. I have been known to be able to eat my own weight in crap some days, but I can't remember the last day that i ate 6 meals containing protein, never mind 30g a time!

I guess that's the optimal way to eat, or what we think is optimal at the moment. There are some huge huge blokes walking about that eat 3 or 4 times per day and don't think much about ratios or % of fats carbs and protein!

There must be allot more to all this....
fits
Polemarch.
Polemarch.

Postby samurai69 » Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:57 am

yeh your right

as usuall the tendency is to over complicate things

i remember last time i ate really well and clean was when i did all my courses all meals with decent protein etc...............wasnt that easy

i also did a week of eating basically boiled chicken brockoli and yam at all meals after breakfast that was toughest

and TBH i didnt gain any more or less than when i ate what i wanted

i am lucky i dont have an overly sweet tooth and i am not that fond of starchy carbs (bread and potatoes)...........so most things i eat are meat and veg ......... but even that can be crappy meat and veg

and the concerns about hot or cold heated or chilled etc, makes it harder

if i eat at home at lunch it tends to be easy to cook and i try for protein in there, if i eat take away it is either big mac and nuggets or some sort of KFC , or at the local BBQ place they do a great mix of chicken burger and rice and veg...........probably best meal there

samurai69
Ephor
Ephor

Postby fits » Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:20 am

If any one will produce something that can help the population i think it is Dr Scot Connelly. his line of supplements are supposed to be very good and he has a very good knowledge through scientific studies and a life time of working in this field.

Listening to him is hard but this is because he is an actual REAL scientist and speaks like one. He is a dairy scientist and is looking into products that help speed up the healing process of the body which helps cut peoples time in hospital massively,which is just one aspect of it but that part of it helps the study as there is potentially allot of money to be made and therefore seen to be worth the investment.

He spoke once about incorporating whey into every day things that are normally not good for us and they benefit this would have on the general population. I believe at one point he has a pizza that had a high protein base, breads etc. could be good in future.

ow this is not available over here yet but if and when it is (they are looking for distributors) then it would be a god send for me..... protein wise, there is some bad shit i the ingredients...

http://www.nutribreads.com
fits
Polemarch.
Polemarch.

Postby tomato » Sat Oct 10, 2009 5:12 am

Tarnopolsky, M.A., MacDougall, J.D., and Atkinson, S.A. (1988). Influence of protein intake and training status on nitrogen balance and lean body mass.

This studysaid thatbodybuilders only need protien intake 1.12 times that of sedentry subjects.and endurance athletes required 1.67 times more daily protein than sedentary subjects. 1.05g of protein per kg of body weight a day was sufficient to maintain lean body mass in bodybuilders

Mark Tarnopolsky, (2004). Protein Requirements for Endurance Athletes. Nutrition 20:662–668.
states that protein requirements for elite endurance athletes is up to 1.6g.kg.bw

but he does also go on to state that these nutritional needs are met by a balanced diet of around 10% to25% protein. and so no more nutritional supplementation than the average diet is needed

This is quite interesting as it question the attitude that more protein is always better, and contradicts anecdotal evidence from people who train and are quite big eating much more protein than this. this is only two studies, there will be plenty more which may shed more light on the situation
tomato
Hoplite
Hoplite

Postby fits » Sat Oct 10, 2009 1:44 pm

Some times it amazes me how we don't know the answer to this, I have always thought that for some reason, the powers that be don't want us to know. But now days i think when you look at it, who wants to spend money on studies? Either protein manufactures or sports coaches I maybe, but the medical industry in the main don't really care.

The biggest problem I see is that there are soooooo many variations, from person to person, peoples lives, peoples training, sleep, different types of protein, peoples goals, are they maintaining, bulking etc. we will never know the exact answer because there is no exact answer.

It would seem from the most recent studies from people with no real agenda other than trying to find the truth, our diets should be higher is protein than it shows on the current food pyramid that we are shown.

Also, after reading many written journals online, articles, and info online ,that the bigger guys, natural and not, have to eat a regular protein throughout the day. If you ready stuff from Natural bodybuilders especially, you see that some seem to be really in tune with their body's.

We can get far too caught up in ratio's and amounts of protein, Myself probably more than most, I read lots about the subject and I can not remember the last time I had 6 protein containing meals in a day, or have had a week of getting even 1.5g per KILO every day.

As long as you have no kidney issues and assuming you drink a decent amount of water then 20 to 30g of protein 5 to 7 times per day, should allow most men that train with weights to continuously gain strength and size. If you are particularly big or train for endurance as well, then you will probably need more.

I think that if you were doing a low carb, or higher volume training 50g 6 x per day like the palumbo diet wont do you any harm at all, will it help you grow faster thant 30g 6 x day? i don't know, just do what suits your life. Now, when i listen to my own advice ill be able to give you some real life experience opinion
:grin:
fits
Polemarch.
Polemarch.

Postby Cookie » Sun Oct 11, 2009 11:57 am

The fitter the individual, the cleaner the foods & the better overall digestion the less one needs for optimal results....

That`s my take.
"If you don't have conditioning it doesn't matter how big your muscles are they ain't gonna reach their full potential!"

21st century Takism

"wyrd bið ful aræd" Destiny is Everything
Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby fits » Sun Oct 11, 2009 12:02 pm

Cookie wrote:The fitter the individual, the cleaner the foods & the better overall digestion the less one needs for optimal results....

That`s my take.

Digestion is massively overlooked i think
fits
Polemarch.
Polemarch.

PreviousNext

Return to Nutrition