It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:38 am
Change font size

Nutrition

Bulking

Syssitia : The communal & military mess of adult Spartan warriors

Moderator: Moderators

Bulking

Postby samurai69 » Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:33 pm

just been reading a BB forum (i know i shouldnt) and they keep talking about "bulking at the moment" and then go on about eating biscuits and pizza etc

so is bulking just an excuse to eat bad

i dont need an excuse for that................3 big macs is balanced enough as a meal for me!!

shouldnt it be about maintaining a balance............through out the day/week/month/year

doesnt this go back to my thoughts and theories re "caveman" style eating...........fasts, mediteranian style eating, alaskan style eating etc...........they all basically have a place in the whole food eating chain

so if its cold out we seek more comforting food, if its hot we look at lighter meals.....different balances

so what wrong with eating a pizza or a curry............i love the curries i make and they are healthy
Ephor - one of five powerful civil magistrates in Spartan government, elected annually by the Assembly.

"I thought I was hard done by, when I had no shoes, until I saw a man who had no feet"]

http://www.newspartangym.co.nr
samurai69
Ephor
Ephor

Re: Bulking

Postby Cookie » Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:38 pm

Some would say that a big mac post workout is roughly the right balance of nutrients, most still think "bulking" & going by the scales going up each week is the thing to do. More to do with being caught in the trap of what you weigh makes all the difference.
"If you don't have conditioning it doesn't matter how big your muscles are they ain't gonna reach their full potential!"

21st century Takism

"wyrd bið ful aræd" Destiny is Everything
Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby samurai69 » Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:12 pm

Cookie wrote:Some would say that a big mac post workout is roughly the right balance of nutrients, most still think "bulking" & going by the scales going up each week is the thing to do. More to do with being caught in the trap of what you weigh makes all the difference.

funny i was talking about weight at the gym...................for 10+ years from age 15 to 25 i stayed at around 12 stone...............32 inch waist

25 to 35 i probably went up only to 13 or 13.5 stone ..........since training here in portugal i have gone up to and hover around 15 to 15.5 stone ..........i did slightly go to a 34 inch waist but sit at 33 ...........but i have never fixated on my weight, infact at some times in my 12 stone phase i looked fatter than now
Ephor - one of five powerful civil magistrates in Spartan government, elected annually by the Assembly.

"I thought I was hard done by, when I had no shoes, until I saw a man who had no feet"]

samurai69
Ephor
Ephor

Postby kong » Thu Nov 12, 2009 4:19 am

body builders eat pizza for training? lol. That is very funny. There are very few serious strong body builders.
The other day I saw a charles atlas video, he was truly strong. charls atlas riped a phone book and bend some iron.
today body builders mostly go after looks and not after real strenght, not all of them, but most of them.
kong
Helot
Helot

Postby samurai69 » Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:32 am

kong wrote:body builders eat pizza for training? lol. That is very funny. There are very few serious strong body builders.
The other day I saw a charles atlas video, he was truly strong. charls atlas riped a phone book and bend some iron.
today body builders mostly go after looks and not after real strenght, not all of them, but most of them.

i love bending stuff now and ripping phone books, even manged to bend a wok in half the other day

samurai69
Ephor
Ephor

Postby unknownsoldier » Thu Nov 12, 2009 2:13 pm

i love bending stuff now and ripping phone books, even manged to bend a wok in half the other day

hahahahaha!! you bent a wok? a). why? didnt you like the stir fry!! b). thats awesome!! haha! i would totally agree with you on weight fixation too.... i just realised when i read that, that in my first intro post i said i wanted to hit a target weight of 180ish lbs, when in fact i should have just said i want to get stronger whilst keeping and improving my cardio! i think we get a touch obsessed as guys with weight because its such a visual manifestation of strength, and im not gonna lie, i'll be doing this to try and look better and more attractive (i know, i know, im already gods gift!!!)as well as for my own personal satisfaction and the challenge and desire to be all that i can be.... funny really, as 7 years ago, i was far more concerned with keeping my weight down!! full circle stuff!! haha!
unknownsoldier
Helot
Helot

Postby tomato » Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:52 pm

this is funny as one of the powerlifting lads had a comp about a week or two ago
he was a few kilo's inder the weight limit, and made a comment that he needs to eat more, kebabs, chips burgers and all that, so he was closer to the upper limit?

this confused me abit as i dont think it would have made him any sytenger in those 4-5 days
just meant he hd more weight to lift from his belly an not on the bar
tomato
Hoplite
Hoplite

Postby Cookie » Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:40 pm

tomato wrote:this is funny as one of the powerlifting lads had a comp about a week or two ago
he was a few kilo's inder the weight limit, and made a comment that he needs to eat more, kebabs, chips burgers and all that, so he was closer to the upper limit?

this confused me abit as i dont think it would have made him any sytenger in those 4-5 days
just meant he hd more weight to lift from his belly an not on the bar

Sometimes to influx of extra calories can aid through putting more carbohydrates & water within the muscles, this will then help with strength.
"If you don't have conditioning it doesn't matter how big your muscles are they ain't gonna reach their full potential!"

21st century Takism

"wyrd bið ful aræd" Destiny is Everything
Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby samurai69 » Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:50 pm

just reading on another forum about what one guy eats the morning of a comp............like 3 gallons (us) of milk and 3 double cheesbugers

samurai69
Ephor
Ephor

Postby Al » Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:56 pm

I followed one powerlifters log in the run up to his weigh-in and contest. To make weight he starved (no food or fluids) & dehydrated himself with saunas etc. Ended up "weak as a kitten" and could barely climb the stairs. Felt like a bad hangover. After the weigh in he ate and drank himselfinto a bloat. As he wore lifting suits, the tighter the fit the better.
Al
Banished

Postby dunster » Fri Jan 01, 2010 4:55 pm

my mum told me a story of how she was watching some daytime tv and there was a body builder on there who worked out almost to the minute how much water he needed in his body to get him through the show. sometimes if the show ran over or whatever, he would pass out
dunster
Lochagos
Lochagos

Postby Al » Fri Jan 01, 2010 5:02 pm

dunster wrote:my mum told me a story of how she was watching some daytime tv and there was a body builder on there who worked out almost to the minute how much water he needed in his body to get him through the show. sometimes if the show ran over or whatever, he would pass out

The local hardcore BB gym I used to go to ran a club contest every year in the dockyard bar. Although we had a few exceptional competitors at he club this contest was for the rest to show off. Not being very contest savvy they would leave it until the last week to diet or tan. The lineup always included guys burnt red by sunbeds and in one case a guy fainted on stage from lack of food. Being a powerlifter I stayed smooth, pale and drank beer while watching the show. Ah those were the days.
Al
Banished

Return to Nutrition