It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 5:23 am
Change font size

Nutrition

Krill oil

Syssitia : The communal & military mess of adult Spartan warriors

Moderator: Moderators

Krill oil

Postby Cookie » Mon Nov 16, 2009 7:42 am

Anyone used this stuff in place of regular omega 3 fish oils?
"If you don't have conditioning it doesn't matter how big your muscles are they ain't gonna reach their full potential!"

21st century Takism

"wyrd bið ful aræd" Destiny is Everything
Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Re: Krill oil

Postby Melas Zomos » Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:09 pm

yup :mrgreen:
“The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.” Citizen G’Kar
Melas Zomos
Lochagos
Lochagos

Postby Cookie » Thu Sep 30, 2010 6:25 am

Melas Zomos wrote:yup :mrgreen:

Better, worse, no different?
"If you don't have conditioning it doesn't matter how big your muscles are they ain't gonna reach their full potential!"

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Melas Zomos » Thu Sep 30, 2010 4:50 pm

As far as notable differences in performance I really have not found any as compared with other high end fish oil pills or a good liquid formula.
However the Krill pills have little to no mercury as compared to other formulas, of course I have no way to test the various formulas so I am going by research.
The Krill pill tend not to go rancid, or give you that "fish burp"
The only time I had that fish smell was when one of the caps broke in the bottle :cry:
They do seem to be slightly more effective mg vs mg.

The only con I have found is the price.

I plan to keep with them more for being mercury free than anything, I use Antarctic 100% pure Krill.
“The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.” Citizen G’Kar
Melas Zomos
Lochagos
Lochagos

Postby Cookie » Sun Oct 03, 2010 2:30 pm

Melas Zomos wrote:As far as notable differences in performance I really have not found any as compared with other high end fish oil pills or a good liquid formula.
However the Krill pills have little to no mercury as compared to other formulas, of course I have no way to test the various formulas so I am going by research.
The Krill pill tend not to go rancid, or give you that "fish burp"
The only time I had that fish smell was when one of the caps broke in the bottle :cry:
They do seem to be slightly more effective mg vs mg.

The only con I have found is the price.

I plan to keep with them more for being mercury free than anything, I use Antarctic 100% pure Krill.

I wonder sometimes if this is something that is played upon by supplement companies & the fear that is instilled within the public about "possible" mercury overload?

As for the fishy burps, store your fish oils in the fridge that way they`ll not go too soft & burst as soon as you swallow them. ;-)

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Melas Zomos » Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:40 pm

I will give it a go, if I can squeeze one more thing in this tiny fridge of mine :mrgreen:
I never thought of it since I tried putting the liquid Carlson's in the fridge....Whoa that was a bad idea.

Not sure with the mercury, sometimes I think that too. But with all the toxins I come in contact with I figure if I can eliminate a few and keep my diet good I just might break even.
Melas Zomos
Lochagos
Lochagos

Postby Cookie » Mon Oct 04, 2010 5:20 pm

Melas Zomos wrote:I will give it a go, if I can squeeze one more thing in this tiny fridge of mine :mrgreen:
I never thought of it since I tried putting the liquid Carlson's in the fridge....Whoa that was a bad idea.

Never used Carlson`s so can`t comment about it being in the fridge, must have been a bit odorous :lol:

Not sure with the mercury, sometimes I think that too. But with all the toxins I come in contact with I figure if I can eliminate a few and keep my diet good I just might break even.

Well being Superman I thought it would have been Kryptonite you were allergic to ;-)

The more fibre (& H20) we run through our diets the more rubbish we are likely to remove, then again you can buy vegetables anywhere, supplements on the other hand :-k :mrgreen:

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Melas Zomos » Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:06 pm

According to a new study, krill oil has effects similar to fish oil on serum lipids, oxidative stress and inflammation -- but unlike fish oil, it works even with lower doses of EPA and DHA.
EPA and DHA provide a variety of health benefits, including for your heart, your eyes, and illnesses caused by inflammation. However in fish oil these omega-3 fats are in triglyceride form, whereas in krill oil they are in phospholipid form.

According to the study:

"A total of 113 participants ... were randomized into three groups. Thirty-six were given 6 capsules of 3g krill oil a day, with 543 mg of EHA and DHA; 40 were given 3 capsules of 1.8g fish oil a day, with 864 mg of EPA and DHA ... The remaining 37 received no supplementation ... [T]here was a significant increase in plasma EPA, DHA, and DPA in both the krill oil and fish oil groups ... and no significant differences were seen between the fish oil and the krill oil groups. The EPA + DHA dose in the krill was 62.8 % of that in the fish oil."

Sources:
Lipids October 2010 10.1007/s11745-010-3490-4

Full article:
http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2011/02/22/krill-oil-effective-even-at-lower-levels.aspx
Melas Zomos
Lochagos
Lochagos

Postby Melas Zomos » Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:26 pm

Just ordered a couple of bottles of Krill oil that also contains phosphatidylserine derived from krill oil instead of soy. Pretty stoked about seeing if it compares to the soy based phos. as I just do not trust most soy sources any longer and most of it is not prepared properly.
Will let you know if I think it is worth the price.
Melas Zomos
Lochagos
Lochagos

Postby Cookie » Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:19 pm

Spooky you should post on this today. I had been thinking a lot about getting some krill oil all morning :lol:

Need to find out which is the best company to use over here.

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Melas Zomos » Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:32 pm

Cookie wrote:Spooky you should post on this today. I had been thinking a lot about getting some krill oil all morning :lol:

Need to find out which is the best company to use over here.

I prefer Mercola for my krill oil, you should be able to get it over there.
Here is the formula I just picked up, he also has a regular krill oil supplement without the ps.
A little pricey, but worth it on this supplement.
http://krilloil.mercola.com/krill-iq.html
Melas Zomos
Lochagos
Lochagos

Postby Cookie » Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:36 pm

Big read :shock:

One for later`s.

Expensive stuff.

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Next

Return to Nutrition