It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:07 am
Change font size

Nutrition

Cheap cuts

Syssitia : The communal & military mess of adult Spartan warriors

Moderator: Moderators

Cheap cuts

Postby Cookie » Wed Nov 25, 2009 3:40 pm

Off round to farm shop in a few minutes to pick up some heart, ox tail & skirt, lets see what I can conjure up meals wise this next week. :grin:
"If you don't have conditioning it doesn't matter how big your muscles are they ain't gonna reach their full potential!"

21st century Takism

"wyrd bið ful aræd" Destiny is Everything
Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Re: Cheap cuts

Postby Cookie » Fri Nov 27, 2009 2:52 pm

Heart & skirt in slow cooker since 3.30 am, smells lovely, just need to add dumplings :grin:
"If you don't have conditioning it doesn't matter how big your muscles are they ain't gonna reach their full potential!"

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby samurai69 » Fri Nov 27, 2009 3:07 pm

Cookie wrote:Heart & skirt in slow cooker since 3.30 am, smells lovely, just need to add dumplings :grin:

what is skirt.........is it the thin meat between 2 bits of other leathery stuff

.its a shame more people dont eat all those things............that is something they could take from portugal.............everything is eaten here

Ephor - one of five powerful civil magistrates in Spartan government, elected annually by the Assembly.

"I thought I was hard done by, when I had no shoes, until I saw a man who had no feet"]

http://www.newspartangym.co.nr
samurai69
Ephor
Ephor

Postby Al » Fri Nov 27, 2009 3:26 pm

"Skirt" or "Beef Curtains" is a delicacy not usually on offer to the general public and oft kept aside by the butcher for a Sunday treat"

Mrs Beaton's Big Book of Beef
circa 1953
Al
Banished

Postby Cookie » Fri Nov 27, 2009 3:45 pm

samurai69 wrote:what is skirt.........is it the thin meat between 2 bits of other leathery stuff

http://www.beeffoodservice.com/cuts/Info.aspx?code=18 :grin:

.its a shame more people dont eat all those things............that is something they could take from portugal.............everything is eaten here

TBH I was shocked at the quality of the "skirt" meat when I opened the bag, very well marbled like a top quality steak & very tender before cooking.

30 minutes to go & it`ll get a taste test :grin:

Al, looking at the quality of the pieces I have I can understand it being kept by the butchers for themselves.

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby samurai69 » Fri Nov 27, 2009 4:18 pm

meat isnt that great here TBH unless it comes from brazil or argentina.......the local animals have poor quality because of the sdryer conditions
Ephor - one of five powerful civil magistrates in Spartan government, elected annually by the Assembly.

"I thought I was hard done by, when I had no shoes, until I saw a man who had no feet"]

http://www.newspartangym.co.nr
samurai69
Ephor
Ephor

Postby lil john » Sat Nov 28, 2009 1:13 am

i keep meaning to go get some skirt and that. long cooking, lots of flavour its all good
Rebuilding the BEAR
lil john
Ephor
Ephor

Postby Cookie » Sat Nov 28, 2009 3:59 am

TheReaper wrote:i keep meaning to go get some skirt and that. long cooking, lots of flavour its all good

Works a treat reaper, the skirt was sooooooo tender after 14 hours in slow cooker :lol:

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby lil john » Sun Nov 29, 2009 4:20 pm

hmmmmmm defo will be buying some then.
Rebuilding the BEAR
lil john
Ephor
Ephor

Postby Cookie » Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:50 pm

Just got some shin beef today, if that is its shin I wish I had its thighs, geez it is a HUGE piece of meat, plenty of cooking to do tomorrow :grin:

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Return to Nutrition