It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:39 am
Change font size

Nutrition

Red Meat

Syssitia : The communal & military mess of adult Spartan warriors

Moderator: Moderators

Red Meat

Postby Scott » Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:26 pm

I was watching a few nutrition type shows on satellite, not that I take what is said on them as fact but they were talking about 'good' proteins and were really reluctant to say much about red meat. Ive heard this sort of stuff before but it made me think......
if red meat needs to be 'taken in moderation' due to it not being digested very well, hanging around in the colon, giving you cancer, making you gay ect. Then how can that fit into the efficient human engine type model?
Would our ancestors not have eaten shit loads of red meat? I dont know what wouldve roamed britian years ago but probably deer and shit, surely we wouldve been eating just as much of that as we would fish ect.

so is all the red meat talk just plain wrong? if not then why are we not better at digesting it?
FIGHTING SOLVES EVERYTHING

Get Dropped But I'm Right Back In

Wendy Who Web Development
Scott
Dioscuri
Dioscuri

Re: Red Meat

Postby samurai69 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:33 am

Scott wrote: all the red meat talk is just plain wrong?

more or less

the frech deer, elk etc roamed freeer therfore meat was leaner.......................

we digest it well enough IMO

in early days pre keeping meat fresh we binged more on fresh meat then may have had to revert back to pulses and grains etc...............flushing system through

things only get stuck if theres nothing to flush themthroughg

that sort of thing

western diet is poor.................normal scottish diet is worst in europe allegedly

Ephor - one of five powerful civil magistrates in Spartan government, elected annually by the Assembly.

"I thought I was hard done by, when I had no shoes, until I saw a man who had no feet"]

http://www.newspartangym.co.nr
samurai69
Ephor
Ephor

Postby Cookie » Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:02 pm

I`m with S69 on this one, too much of a good thing is a bad thing, not enough fibre & water to cleanse colon & we are all in big trouble down the line. We know cavemen etc ate plenty of meat BUT they would have also eaten plenty of vegetation & other food sources around them as & when they became seasonally available.
"If you don't have conditioning it doesn't matter how big your muscles are they ain't gonna reach their full potential!"

21st century Takism

"wyrd bið ful aræd" Destiny is Everything
Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby samurai69 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:18 pm

Cookie wrote:I`m with S69 on this one, too much of a good thing is a bad thing, not enough fibre & water to cleanse colon & we are all in big trouble down the line. We know cavemen etc ate plenty of meat BUT they would have also eaten plenty of vegetation & other food sources around them as & when they became seasonally available.

anmd tended to only binge on meat when it was available
Ephor - one of five powerful civil magistrates in Spartan government, elected annually by the Assembly.

"I thought I was hard done by, when I had no shoes, until I saw a man who had no feet"]

samurai69
Ephor
Ephor

Postby Scott » Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:18 pm

so its very probable that in an 'evolutionary' type of diet that red meat wasnt consumed all that often so maybe we havent evolved to the point where we digest it as well as other things?
FIGHTING SOLVES EVERYTHING

Get Dropped But I'm Right Back In

Wendy Who Web Development
Scott
Dioscuri
Dioscuri

Postby Cookie » Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:25 pm

Scott wrote:so its very probable that in an 'evolutionary' type of diet that red meat wasnt consumed all that often so maybe we havent evolved to the point where we digest it as well as other things?

Once upon a time it probably wasn`t consumed "daily" but when it was available they would have eaten a lot of it, thing that makes it worse is they way cattle are now farmed with excessive amounts of grain feed & drugs, all of which will not help digestion.
"If you don't have conditioning it doesn't matter how big your muscles are they ain't gonna reach their full potential!"

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby samurai69 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 5:36 pm

samurai69 wrote:
and tended to only binge on meat when it was available

samurai69
Ephor
Ephor

Postby Cookie » Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:53 am

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby samurai69 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:17 am

Cookie wrote:http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/10/fashion/10caveman.html

interested to see long term tests on subjects doing this or similar

samurai69
Ephor
Ephor

Return to Nutrition