It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:49 am
Change font size

Nutrition

Aspartame

Syssitia : The communal & military mess of adult Spartan warriors

Moderator: Moderators

Aspartame

Postby Scott » Wed May 26, 2010 3:52 pm

so how valid are the studies / internet claims that this is unsafe?
Ive been reading a few articles on the fallout after a lot of the unsafe claims came up but have these claims not been subsequently investigated?
the food standards agency claim to have looked at the claims and this wiki article claims more of the unsafe studies were also investigated.

thoughts?
FIGHTING SOLVES EVERYTHING

Get Dropped But I'm Right Back In

Wendy Who Web Development
Scott
Dioscuri
Dioscuri

Re: Aspartame

Postby samurai69 » Wed May 26, 2010 6:32 pm

Scott wrote:so how valid are the studies / internet claims that this is unsafe?
Ive been reading a few articles on the fallout after a lot of the unsafe claims came up but have these claims not been subsequently investigated?
the food standards agency claim to have looked at the claims and this wiki article claims more of the unsafe studies were also investigated.

thoughts?

fucking YANK stuff blowing it out of proportion again IMO................again its down to moderation (best not at all, rather suger)
Ephor - one of five powerful civil magistrates in Spartan government, elected annually by the Assembly.

"I thought I was hard done by, when I had no shoes, until I saw a man who had no feet"]

http://www.newspartangym.co.nr
samurai69
Ephor
Ephor

Postby Cookie » Thu May 27, 2010 11:34 am

Tough one as there are always two sides of the field & both at the opposite end to each other. As S69 said moderation is key if you are going to use such products, but, what a lot fail to realise when they are using artificial sweeteners is that the human body is not as stupid as some would have you believe. There is a complexed system that kicks in if the body senses sweetness in the mouth which sets everything in motion to receive & digest the sugars once they go down into the stomach/small intestines. With the sweeteners obviously it is setting everything in motion but the end result is no food source to be digested as the body expected, which leaves you with a lot of processes & hormones going on with nothing to do :-k
"If you don't have conditioning it doesn't matter how big your muscles are they ain't gonna reach their full potential!"

21st century Takism

"wyrd bið ful aræd" Destiny is Everything
Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Scott » Thu May 27, 2010 11:58 am

Cookie wrote:There is a complexed system that kicks in if the body senses sweetness in the mouth which sets everything in motion to receive & digest the sugars once they go down into the stomach/small intestines. With the sweeteners obviously it is setting everything in motion but the end result is no food source to be digested as the body expected, which leaves you with a lot of processes & hormones going on with nothing to do :-k

That makes sense but does this :
However, recent studies have shown that aspartame does not increase glucose nor insulin blood levels and cannot be directly linked to insulin resistance or diabetes

address that issue at all?

Scott
Dioscuri
Dioscuri

Postby Cookie » Thu May 27, 2010 12:41 pm

Scott wrote:
However, recent studies have shown that aspartame does not increase glucose nor insulin blood levels and cannot be directly linked to insulin resistance or diabetes

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cephalic_phase
"If you don't have conditioning it doesn't matter how big your muscles are they ain't gonna reach their full potential!"

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby samurai69 » Thu May 27, 2010 12:49 pm

Cookie wrote:
Scott wrote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cephalic_phase

the tests done with a dog show that.....every time a bell rang the dog would get fed....................eventually the dog would salivate every time he heard a bell, that sort of thing
Ephor - one of five powerful civil magistrates in Spartan government, elected annually by the Assembly.

"I thought I was hard done by, when I had no shoes, until I saw a man who had no feet"]

samurai69
Ephor
Ephor

Postby Scott » Thu May 27, 2010 2:16 pm

but did the dogs insulin levels rise ;-)

Im not arguing the case for the stuff btw just curious. Does a dog or human slavering at the thought of food mean that a sweetener causes blood sugar to rise or whatever?

Scott
Dioscuri
Dioscuri

Postby samurai69 » Thu May 27, 2010 2:26 pm

Scott wrote:but did the dogs insulin levels rise ;-)

Im not arguing the case for the stuff btw just curious. Does a dog or human slavering at the thought of food mean that a sweetener causes blood sugar to rise or whatever?

something happens...........for the dog to salivet, so the body prepares as cookie said earlier

samurai69
Ephor
Ephor

Postby Cookie » Thu May 27, 2010 2:34 pm

Scott wrote:but did the dogs insulin levels rise ;-)

http://www.centralhome.com/ballroomcoun ... asweet.htm

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/ ... alth/print

ASPARTAME AND SACCHARIN IN WEIGHT LOSS
The brain has a conditioned response in reaction to something that is sweet.
It is called "cephalic phase response".
This response is established as a result of a life long experience with sugar, and the body's perception of the arrival of new energy (sugar).
When the taste of an artificial sweetener such as aspartame stimulates the tongue, the brain programs the liver to prepare for the arrival of new energy (sugar) from outside.
The liver, in turn, stops the manufacture of starch and protein from reserves in the body, and instead begins to store the glucose (energy) that is circulating in the blood stream.
Foods having a sweet taste without the accompanying calories (sugar-free usually = low calories) stimulate the taste buds, creating an urge to eat and thus overeat.
It is the liver that produces the signals and the urge to eat. The cephalic phase response triggers the release of insulin, which stores sugar in the blood stream.
This creates low blood sugar, which leads to the development of increased cravings and appetite.
Studies have shown that this urge to eat more food after using artificial sweeteners such as aspartame can last up to 90 minutes after the meal or snack.
It has been shown that the brain retains the urge to eat for a long time, when the taste buds for sugar are stimulated, without any sugar having entered the system.
The sweet taste of artificial sweeteners such as aspartame will cause the brain to program the liver to store supplies rather than release supplies from its storage.
This may be the reason why individuals who use diet soda for weight loss may suffer the need for repeated stimulation of the taste buds with sugar stimulation.

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Cookie » Thu May 27, 2010 2:38 pm

And this one just blows every thing else out of the water

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20303371

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Scott » Thu May 27, 2010 5:41 pm

Cookie wrote:And this one just blows every thing else out of the water

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20303371

LOL!!could you spell it out for any 'thickos' that might be reading 8-[
.... does that say that glucose and insulin level were higher?
higher than what, should they not have had someone in the mix NOT taking sweeteners?

damn my feeble brain.

Scott
Dioscuri
Dioscuri

Postby Cookie » Thu May 27, 2010 5:44 pm

Despite the caloric difference in preloads (290kcal vs. 493kcal), participants did not compensate by eating more at their lunch and dinner meals when they consumed stevia and aspartame versus sucrose in preloads (mean differences in food intake over entire day between sucrose and stevia=301kcal, p<.01; aspartame=330kcal, p<.01). Self-reported hunger and satiety levels did not differ by condition. Stevia preloads significantly reduced postprandial glucose levels compared to sucrose preloads (p<.01), and postprandial insulin levels compared to both aspartame and sucrose preloads (p<.05). When consuming stevia and aspartame preloads, participants did not compensate by eating more at either their lunch or dinner meal and reported similar levels of satiety compared to when they consumed the higher calorie sucrose preload.

I`m reading that as it didn`t budge

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Next

Return to Nutrition