Nutrition

stop eating breakfast

Syssitia : The communal & military mess of adult Spartan warriors

Moderator: Moderators

stop eating breakfast

Postby Scott » Sat Jul 24, 2010 10:40 am

stop eating breakfast

thoughts on this?
Ive always went along with the 'must eat breakfast' thinking but this article is kinda interesting.
FIGHTING SOLVES EVERYTHING

Get Dropped But I'm Right Back In

Wendy Who Web Development
Scott
Dioscuri
Dioscuri

Re: stop eating breakfast

Postby samurai69 » Sat Jul 24, 2010 2:29 pm

Scott wrote:stop eating breakfast

thoughts on this?
Ive always went along with the 'must eat breakfast' thinking but this article is kinda interesting.

i have always been keen on whats written there, i am not a breakfast eater (in the same way as some), the majority of people that get up (what ever time) and eat breakfast in their first 5 or 10 minutes of waking are usually fatter than average, however eating an hour after waking isnt bad and not too heavy (except the occasional fry up....big and stoggy), but the healthy carby based breaky no...............fry up and protein 1 hour after waking are IMO ok
Ephor - one of five powerful civil magistrates in Spartan government, elected annually by the Assembly.

"I thought I was hard done by, when I had no shoes, until I saw a man who had no feet"]

http://www.newspartangym.co.nr
samurai69
Ephor
Ephor

Postby Scott » Sat Jul 24, 2010 5:17 pm

I tend to eat porrige and a protein shake about 20 mins after getting up, have coffee 5 mins after getting up though!
Im not a fan of breakfast and the thought of ditching it until later sounds good. if I could eat it about 3 hours after getting up that would siut me better.

Scott
Dioscuri
Dioscuri

Postby samurai69 » Sat Jul 24, 2010 5:30 pm

Scott wrote:I tend to eat porrige and a protein shake about 20 mins after getting up, have coffee 5 mins after getting up though!
Im not a fan of breakfast and the thought of ditching it until later sounds good. if I could eat it about 3 hours after getting up that would siut me better.

works for me
Ephor - one of five powerful civil magistrates in Spartan government, elected annually by the Assembly.

"I thought I was hard done by, when I had no shoes, until I saw a man who had no feet"]

samurai69
Ephor
Ephor

Postby Cookie » Sat Jul 24, 2010 5:42 pm

Normally on my days off I`ll hang fire for around 1-2 hours before eating breakfast but on a work day it`s half a litre of water first thing, maybe some joint rotations & then I`ll eat.
"If you don't have conditioning it doesn't matter how big your muscles are they ain't gonna reach their full potential!"

21st century Takism

"wyrd bið ful aræd" Destiny is Everything
Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby samurai69 » Sat Jul 24, 2010 5:50 pm

Cookie wrote:Normally on my days off I`ll hang fire for around 1-2 hours before eating breakfast but on a work day it`s half a litre of water first thing, maybe some joint rotations & then I`ll eat.

slightly different fot you with the job you do IMO so better eating

samurai69
Ephor
Ephor

Postby tomato » Sun Jul 25, 2010 4:26 pm

i can get really hungry on waking and must eat, but that can depend on if i have eaten a lot the evening before

if i am training in the morning i will make sure i have somthing beforehand

eating a big breakfast though can make me hungry again within an hour, ive been having smaller portons and it seems to satify me for longer
tomato
Hoplite
Hoplite

Postby Cookie » Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:32 pm

tomato wrote:i can get really hungry on waking and must eat, but that can depend on if i have eaten a lot the evening before

if i am training in the morning i will make sure i have somthing beforehand

eating a big breakfast though can make me hungry again within an hour, ive been having smaller portons and it seems to satify me for longer

Smaller regular meals does work for most people especially if they are consuming good quality foods with plenty of fibre to slow digestion down & keep insulin under control. Just read an article which pointed out that during our "caveman" years we would consume upwards of 100+ grams of fibre per day compared to today with an average of 12 grams. Government recommendations are 18 in the UK & 25 grams per day in the US.
"If you don't have conditioning it doesn't matter how big your muscles are they ain't gonna reach their full potential!"

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Cookie » Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:03 pm

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Scott » Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:56 pm

Cookie wrote:http://www.leangains.com/2010/04/leangains-guide.html

this article talks about taking BCAAS if on an empty stomach but what about what the original article which had....

the amino acid leucine stimulates insulin release without the presence of glucose85-86 and may cause the same reactions as a carby breakfast.

](*,)

Scott
Dioscuri
Dioscuri

Postby Scott » Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:26 pm

FWIW Ive been experimenting all week with essentially skipping breakfast. Usually I'd eat around 07:30 and again at 10:00 but all this week my first meal has been at 10:00.
What Ive noticed that is weird is that Im not wanting to eat later at night. Im usually bad for eating too close to going to bed but Ive not been nearly as hungry at this time. Might just be a coincidence or stress..... dunno but I'll fire on the scales on saturday and have a looksee.

Ive stuck to eating the same foods as usual but obviously there has been less of them. Going by what Ive always thought my metabolism should have slowed because of the not eating til 10 thing and I should have went into starvation mode.
science is fun ;-)

Scott
Dioscuri
Dioscuri

Postby Cookie » Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:35 pm

Scott wrote:FWIW Ive been experimenting all week with essentially skipping breakfast. Usually I'd eat around 07:30 and again at 10:00 but all this week my first meal has been at 10:00.
What Ive noticed that is weird is that Im not wanting to eat later at night. Im usually bad for eating too close to going to bed but Ive not been nearly as hungry at this time. Might just be a coincidence or stress..... dunno but I'll fire on the scales on saturday and have a looksee.

Ive stuck to eating the same foods as usual but obviously there has been less of them. Going by what Ive always thought my metabolism should have slowed because of the not eating til 10 thing and I should have went into starvation mode.
science is fun ;-)

That`s me :oops:

Are you taking in plenty of H2O during the period your not eating?

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Next

Return to Nutrition