It is currently Fri May 10, 2024 2:22 am
Change font size

Nutrition

Water - Golden ideas

Syssitia : The communal & military mess of adult Spartan warriors

Moderator: Moderators

Water - Golden ideas

Postby Takmaster » Tue Jul 18, 2006 7:32 am

Well with all the heat at the mo it usually gets people asking me how much water they should put away. Theres no need to emphasise the benefits here as I'm sure you all know them.

The body can just about cope with processing 1 litre per hour comfortably without major effect upon cells. In a day I usually aim to get through 2-3litres depending on what I'm doing. Adding cordial to water helps you take on more water. Basically you body deals with the glucose being seperated from the water as opposed to simple hydrogen and oxygen that are dispatched with more easily. This allows more time to process the water.

I just thought I'd share a couple of examples of simple hydration tests I have come by in the past.

The first is to weigh yourself before training and after. then using the difference as a level of liquid lost. Not really that applicable to a gym session but if you are off out to do some cardio for 2 hours maybe worth considering.

The second, and not for the faint hearted, is to micturate (medical term to take a piss) into a clear plastic bottle. Then to study the colour and smell.
Obviously the less the fragrance and clearer the colour the better hydrated. There are several factors affecting this but its ok as a baseline indicator. Women may need a funnel. Its a common test used in the military in hot climates.

:lol: :cool: :oops: :roll: :shock: :grin:
Takmaster
Ephor
Ephor

Postby samurai69 » Tue Jul 18, 2006 9:33 am

One of the reasons that pee is yellower is through the dehydration process

during the hot weather its a good sign......check your pee :oops: :shock:

:twisted:
Ephor - one of five powerful civil magistrates in Spartan government, elected annually by the Assembly.

"I thought I was hard done by, when I had no shoes, until I saw a man who had no feet"]

http://www.newspartangym.co.nr
samurai69
Ephor
Ephor

Postby Cookie » Tue Jul 18, 2006 10:53 am

bump for later
"If you don't have conditioning it doesn't matter how big your muscles are they ain't gonna reach their full potential!"

21st century Takism

"wyrd bið ful aræd" Destiny is Everything
Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby samurai69 » Tue Jul 18, 2006 11:20 am

ONE SMART COOKIE wrote:bump for later

:shock: :shock: Now who is being a post whore :twisted: :mad:

;-)

:lol:
Ephor - one of five powerful civil magistrates in Spartan government, elected annually by the Assembly.

"I thought I was hard done by, when I had no shoes, until I saw a man who had no feet"]

http://www.newspartangym.co.nr
samurai69
Ephor
Ephor

Postby Cookie » Tue Jul 18, 2006 2:46 pm

samurai69 wrote:
ONE SMART COOKIE wrote:bump for later

:shock: :shock: Now who is being a post whore :twisted: :mad:

;-)

:lol:

Takes one to know one ;-)
"If you don't have conditioning it doesn't matter how big your muscles are they ain't gonna reach their full potential!"

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Cookie » Tue Jul 18, 2006 2:50 pm

Urine Colour

Hydrated=Clear-pale lemonade colour

Dehydrated=Darker lemonade to apple juice colour

Severely dehydrated=Little urine,dark cloudy urine(notify medical staff)

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Cookie » Tue Jul 18, 2006 2:53 pm

Have you got any other tips for increasing water uptake in the body :?:

What do you think of the use of glycerine to help with water uptake :?:

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Scott » Tue Jul 18, 2006 3:01 pm

how would being a little dehydrated effect you?
FIGHTING SOLVES EVERYTHING

Get Dropped But I'm Right Back In

Wendy Who Web Development
Scott
Dioscuri
Dioscuri

Postby Cookie » Tue Jul 18, 2006 3:11 pm

Scott wrote:how would being a little dehydrated effect you?

Can make you weak, lethargic, constipated, not digest and absorb your food properly, thicken your blood (something to do with platlets i think) blood pressure, give you wrinkles....

Hows that :?:

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Scott » Tue Jul 18, 2006 3:21 pm

ONE SMART COOKIE wrote:
Can make you weak, lethargic

Hows that :?:

I feel like that ALL summer :shock:
defo gonna make sure I get more water.
FIGHTING SOLVES EVERYTHING

Get Dropped But I'm Right Back In

Wendy Who Web Development
Scott
Dioscuri
Dioscuri

Postby Takmaster » Tue Jul 18, 2006 4:25 pm

:smile:

without too much science involved i'd say:

I wouldn't recommend the use of Glycerine all the time. Its easy enough to get into a routine of drinking/hydration. Just make sure where ever you go you carry a water bottle, 500ml, 1litre, 2 litre. Whatever you can get. Fill it up and keep at it.

All of cookies points are correct on effects. Cells regulate fluid intake by a couple of simple processes but basically all are in a surrounded state in the form of water based medium. Red bllod cells will be in dense concentrations simply due to a lack of water/less dilute environment.
Red blood cells in high volumes can are very dense and can in extreme cases lead to sludge type blood flow. This is often seen in EPO abuse hence abusers need to get lots of warfarin to thin the blood or drink salt water to lyse the cells and break them up.

Water will help you flush your kidneys of toxins and excess proteins. People on protein rich diets will need to flush their bodys more as the size of amino acids are quite large and need some pressure to flush.
Also you replace the water surrounding your cells with fresher/cleaner water. Leadinjg to less toxins. One signal can be clearer skin with less zits.

An increase in water intake can also help reduce water retention by a simple flush mechanism. Your body gets used to flushing the increased water and will carry on for a short time after.

Keep drinking, keep pissing!
Takmaster
Ephor
Ephor

Return to Nutrition