It is currently Tue May 07, 2024 2:51 pm
Change font size

Nutrition

Pre workout supplements

Syssitia : The communal & military mess of adult Spartan warriors

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Pre workout supplements

Postby Cookie » Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:21 pm

Melas Zomos wrote:I ASSUME everyone on the board works out at least 5 days a week if not 6 or even 7 typically?
Am I ASSuming wrong?

I`ve cut back quite heavily this past 9 months or so. hit some very bad points of overtraining last year which affected me in a lot of ways.

When I did take it, it was always post workout because it does not react well, at least as far as strength gains are concerned, with caffeine and I liked to load it with post workout carbs and get that extra boost.
Ideally you would take it before and then after a workout I suppose.

Most of the pre workout supplements have small doses of creatine in there with their large servings of caffeine :-k

And I did mention a thought or two on a video last year when I discussed Jack3d & other such products having creatine in there. ;-)

I know this was mentioned in another post, but what source are you using for Creatine? Perhaps I will give it another go around and see what happens?

Creatine monohydrate. Have used the EEC version & did notice more injuries with it.

Melas Zomos wrote:Looking at your log, I would say yeah. You do not eat nearly enough calories in my opinion for what you are doing.

I know it doesn`t look like it but most of my food is very calories rich

I would up the clean carbs (sweet potato, brown rice….) as well as the protein. You should be taking in at least 1.5g of protein per 1lb of bodyweight and unless that hemp shake is more powerful than I think or you skinnier than Samurai69 has led me to believe I would say you are consistently coming up short.

Hemp shake is normally 21 grams.

On a good week weight will fluctuate between 142-146lbs. All depends on workloads at work. This new system of working has cost me 7lbs in weight since November & I`m eating more.

With all your running and walking you as well as any endurance athlete stands a good chance of sports anemia without enough protein, especially given your prior foot issues.
You would greatly increase your recovery by adding in more.

I had been discussing the anaemia possibility last week with S69 ;-)

Yeah, I know easier said than done, but to me it looks more like a hybrid contest cutting diet than what I would consider a training diet. Fill that gas tank up bro.

You would be amazed at what I can eat some days. Ask S69 I`m always hungry :lol:

Do you happen to have any of your logs when you looked like Hans…or was it Frans?

I don`t. Did have but lost them at some point. I can say that by the end & when the doctors/dietician were looking at some issues I did have to give a detailed account of what I ate each day.

They were slightly dumbfounded at how I managed 9 meals a day & it was described as being 3 3 course meals 3 times a day :lol:

So yes sometimes I can under eat because of a couple of reasons.
"If you don't have conditioning it doesn't matter how big your muscles are they ain't gonna reach their full potential!"

21st century Takism

"wyrd bið ful aræd" Destiny is Everything
Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Melas Zomos » Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:45 pm

Cookie wrote: I`ve cut back quite heavily this past 9 months or so. hit some very bad points of overtraining last year which affected me in a lot of ways.

With your job and your tendendancy to run a lot on top of that I can see why.

Cookie wrote:Most of the pre workout supplements have small doses of creatine in there with their large servings of caffeine :-k

Yes I do notice that and years ago I was under the impression that creatine and caffeine are not made for each other, while not necessarily 100% in-compatable, the caffeine does reduce a lot of the benefits of creatine. Perhaps this has been discovered as false? Perhaps this is why I had problems with it in the past?

Cookie wrote:And I did mention a thought or two on a video last year when I discussed Jack3d & other such products having creatine in there. ;-)

Yes I do remember that, the freaky eyes video shoot. The only thing I can come up with is that the manufactures hope for you to get a wee bit of the pump feel and it makes you believe their product is really doing something for your muscles and strength too instead of just jacking you up.

Cookie wrote:Creatine monohydrate. Have used the EEC version & did notice more injuries with it.

Gotcha, is there a preffered brand? Or preffered country of origin I should be looking for? Germany used to have the purest quality, and China the least, do not know if that still holds true.

Cookie wrote:I know it doesn`t look like it but most of my food is very calories rich
Hemp shake is normally 21 grams.
On a good week weight will fluctuate between 142-146lbs. All depends on workloads at work. This new system of working has cost me 7lbs in weight since November & I`m eating more.
I had been discussing the anaemia possibility last week with S69 ;-)

Yeah, I really do not know much more than the articles I have read and have no first hand knowledge about it but all the remedies seem to be with diet.

Cookie wrote:You would be amazed at what I can eat some days. Ask S69 I`m always hungry :lol:

Hmmm….If you were always thirsty would you not consider yourself dehydrated and drink more?
Just saying.... :-k
Cookie wrote:So yes sometimes I can under eat because of a couple of reasons.

Obviously health considerations come first and ultimately you are the only one that can determine what your limits are. It just looks to me you need to add in some more protein.

Do you guys eat eggs over there? I see a lot of fancy breakfasts with sausage and pudding and pancakes but little mention of eggs.
“The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.” Citizen G’Kar
Melas Zomos
Lochagos
Lochagos

Postby Cookie » Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:52 pm

Melas Zomos wrote:Yes I do notice that and years ago I was under the impression that creatine and caffeine are not made for each other, while not necessarily 100% in-compatable, the caffeine does reduce a lot of the benefits of creatine. Perhaps this has been discovered as false? Perhaps this is why I had problems with it in the past?

I have mixed creatine with so many things its silly & TBH I have never come across anything that has severely affected its abilities to increase strength.

Yes I do remember that, the freaky eyes video shoot. The only thing I can come up with is that the manufactures hope for you to get a wee bit of the pump feel and it makes you believe their product is really doing something for your muscles and strength too instead of just jacking you up.

Far far too much emphasis placed on a person getting a "pump" in my opinion, either by supplement manufacturers or trainers/coaches/guru`s call them what you will. It does not 100% guarantee growth or improved performance like people make out it does. All it does is make the trainee "feel" good about what they have just done by giving/showing them some instant gratification because the muscle(s) is swollen up.[/quote]

Gotcha, is there a preffered brand? Or preffered country of origin I should be looking for? Germany used to have the purest quality, and China the least, do not know if that still holds true.

I get mine from myprotein which I think gets their from Germany.

Hmmm….If you were always thirsty would you not consider yourself dehydrated and drink more?
Just saying.... :-k

That`s why I eat a lot. I may just need to play with the ratio`s & timings.

Do you guys eat eggs over there? I see a lot of fancy breakfasts with sausage and pudding and pancakes but little mention of eggs.

I eat a lot of eggs. A good 15 a week. Sometimes more.
"If you don't have conditioning it doesn't matter how big your muscles are they ain't gonna reach their full potential!"

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Melas Zomos » Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:17 pm

Cookie wrote:
Far far too much emphasis placed on a person getting a "pump" in my opinion, either by supplement manufacturers or trainers/coaches/guru`s call them what you will. It does not 100% guarantee growth or improved performance like people make out it does. All it does is make the trainee "feel" good about what they have just done by giving/showing them some instant gratification because the muscle(s) is swollen up.

Agree

Cookie wrote: I get mine from myprotein which I think gets their from Germany.

Yeah, that does me no good.

Cookie wrote:
That`s why I eat a lot. I may just need to play with the ratio`s & timings.

Constantly fine tuning my diet through ratios and timings.

Cookie wrote:
I eat a lot of eggs. A good 15 a week. Sometimes more.

Cool, just checking. You never know with you guys over the sea. :mrgreen:

Picked up some taurine, will let you know. Like the price. :supz:
“The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.” Citizen G’Kar
Melas Zomos
Lochagos
Lochagos

Postby samurai69 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:03 am

proper english breakfast for a growing lad should consist of 5 to 6 rashers of bacon (not the stuff you YANKS call Bacon) 2 to 3 lincoln shire (or similar) sausages, 2 slices (minimum) black pudding, white pudding (if available) tinned tomatoes (tastes best with bacon and egg yolk) mushrooms (chopped and fried) fried bread, 2 to 3 eggs (sunny side up or slightly splashes) then to finish 2 to 4 slices of toast with marmalade (not the same as jelly....that would be jam)

of course theres eggs!!!!
Ephor - one of five powerful civil magistrates in Spartan government, elected annually by the Assembly.

"I thought I was hard done by, when I had no shoes, until I saw a man who had no feet"]

http://www.newspartangym.co.nr
samurai69
Ephor
Ephor

Postby samurai69 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:04 am

PS thats not a hint to cookie about the food i will need when i come up to cheer the family on at the coal race
Ephor - one of five powerful civil magistrates in Spartan government, elected annually by the Assembly.

"I thought I was hard done by, when I had no shoes, until I saw a man who had no feet"]

samurai69
Ephor
Ephor

Postby Melas Zomos » Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:21 pm

samurai69 wrote:proper english breakfast for a growing lad should consist of 5 to 6 rashers of bacon (not the stuff you YANKS call Bacon) 2 to 3 lincoln shire (or similar) sausages, 2 slices (minimum) black pudding, white pudding (if available) tinned tomatoes (tastes best with bacon and egg yolk) mushrooms (chopped and fried) fried bread, 2 to 3 eggs (sunny side up or slightly splashes) then to finish 2 to 4 slices of toast with marmalade (not the same as jelly....that would be jam) of course theres eggs!!!!

I would think that is the least a good Host could do for someone traveling to visit. Anything less would be quite insulting in my opinion. :mrgreen:

What makes your bacon different from our bacon?
Melas Zomos
Lochagos
Lochagos

Postby samurai69 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:16 pm

Melas Zomos wrote:
What makes your bacon different from our bacon?

its better!!! :finga:

no, you tend to have the streaky stuff cooked to a crisp, we use back bacon or streaky, but not over cooked

samurai69
Ephor
Ephor

Postby Cookie » Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:29 am

Melas Zomos wrote:Picked up some taurine, will let you know. Like the price. :supz:

Got some too along with a couple of other items.

Melas Zomos wrote:I would think that is the least a good Host could do for someone traveling to visit. Anything less would be quite insulting in my opinion. :mrgreen:

He`ll get what he is given.

No doubt they`ll be some complaining :roll:
samurai69 wrote:proper english breakfast for a growing lad should consist of 5 to 6 rashers of bacon (not the stuff you YANKS call Bacon) 2 to 3 lincoln shire (or similar) sausages, 2 slices (minimum) black pudding, white pudding (if available) tinned tomatoes (tastes best with bacon and egg yolk) mushrooms (chopped and fried) fried bread, 2 to 3 eggs (sunny side up or slightly splashes) then to finish 2 to 4 slices of toast with marmalade (not the same as jelly....that would be jam)

When I was down at your place you couldn`t eat that much for breakfast at the cafe you took me to each morning. [-X

But I did :finga: :butthead: :mrgreen:

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby samurai69 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 2:02 pm

Cookie wrote:When I was down at your place you couldn`t eat that much for breakfast at the cafe you took me to each morning. [-X
:butthead: :mrgreen:

that was cafe breakfast after a 15 minute drive.........................not a home cooked assortment after a 4 hour drive

samurai69
Ephor
Ephor

Postby Cookie » Sun Mar 27, 2011 4:29 pm

samurai69 wrote:that was cafe breakfast after a 15 minute drive.........................not a home cooked assortment after a 4 hour drive

Makes no difference to me, foods food & has to be eaten :mrgreen:

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Melas Zomos » Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:57 pm

Cookie wrote:Taurine works for zoning its just a pain working out what works best for you because using too much ends up giving you too much cell volume & the pumps then become an issue for continuing the workout from my experiences.

I only took it on training days. For some bizarre reason 1-2g (recommended dose 1-3g) would deliver different results on different days. If it happened to be a running day & the lower limbs blew up with blood it was a no go.
Focus & energy on it was quite noticeable.

For me it seems that 2g is the minimum with 3g preferable. It seems to work best with a splattering of caffeine, does not need much though 50g or less depending on activity.
Focus is definitely improved.
Energy also is improved, but it does seem to use it up quicker too? Might be my imagination.
Hydration seems to be real important too. Noticed when I became de-hydrated I would get foot cramps, especially in the arch? It did not matter if I was doing land based exercises or swimming, the effect was the same. I get the same without taking it on occasion, but while taking it they seem a little more frequent. If I was sufficiently hydrated then it was a non issue altogether. Not really an issue.
I too feel an increase in cell volume, but not to the effect you had where the pumps were messing with your workouts.
Seems to also increase adrenaline?

This is only the second week, but my observations thus far. Overall I am quite pleased with the result. For the cost and what it does I feel that this is a worthy addition to pre-workout stacks.
Not sure how the effects will hold up over the long haul or whether they will diminish or if any off days are needed and if so how many.
Will keep you posted as time wears on.
Melas Zomos
Lochagos
Lochagos

PreviousNext

Return to Nutrition