Change font size

Nutrition

Pre workout supplements

Syssitia : The communal & military mess of adult Spartan warriors

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Pre workout supplements

Postby Cookie » Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:40 pm

Scott wrote:
Cookie wrote:Been thinking about this "pre workout" malarkey & I think its just a huge money spinner that just leaves the user with a "need to use" mentality more often than not or they can't workout fully.

you are probably right. When I had been using jack3d, which was the first pre WO supp id used for years, I always made a point of not using it everytime coz I didnt want to rely on it. Even then I still used it more often then I felt I should.
TBH I never even thought about a pre WO when I was training with my old training partner, it was pointless because he was like a constant kick up the arse! Thats the only thing I miss now that I have my own set up at home.

Have to agree.

And I've fallen myself with "needing" a coffee or mental stimulation supplement before a workout when years ago I was happy to just train & never gave that side of things a thought. Its been at the back of my mind for months now about training "clean" 99% of the time because I'd had a suspicion that those types of things were behind some of the reasons I wasn't fully recovering because they'd switched off my natural feedback to know when to quit in a training session.

They just have you tapping into your energy reserves far too much & too often.

Then I read an article/interview by Daley Thompson;

"Much of the sports science today is a crutch for people. We didn't need it. We just worked hard"

Hammer, nail, hit.

Said it all for me & confirmed my own thoughts.

Roger Bannister didn't bang in 3 scoops of Jack3d so he could spank the arse of that sub 4 minute mile so why should I need it. :grin:
"If you don't have conditioning it doesn't matter how big your muscles are they ain't gonna reach their full potential!"

21st century Takism

"wyrd bið ful aræd" Destiny is Everything
Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Melas Zomos » Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:20 pm

For me it really depends on the workout planned and how fast it stimulates the cns. I can workout without a pre workout stim, but to be honest I am certainly more focused if I take in some form of caffeine. I do not need a lot, but just a little jolt (50-100mg caffeine) to get me focused, sort of a pre cns boost. The amount can effect the length of the session. Yes it is better to train without a stimulant, but with the stresses of today's world and the odd training times it offers I feel a mild stimulant is okay (50-150mg caffeine). In a perfect world I could plan my schedule both training and recovery to do without a pre workout stim, but unfortunately that is not in the cards just yet.
As far as Jackd every session, I am against that but it does work well if not abused. My experience is that it should be reserved for once maybe twice a week, tops, and that is purely dependent on the workout and focus needs.
“The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.” Citizen G’Kar
Melas Zomos
Lochagos
Lochagos

Postby Scott » Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:29 pm

Cookie wrote:
Then I read an article/interview by Daley Thompson;

"Much of the sports science today is a crutch for people. We didn't need it. We just worked hard"

a bottle of lucozade and the intro to phantom of the opera was all the pre workout Daley Thompson needed :supz:

My experience is that it should be reserved for once maybe twice a week, tops, and that is purely dependent on the workout and focus needs.

That was my plan when I got some. I found it very tough not to have some especially after a shit day at work.... which seemed to be every training day!
FIGHTING SOLVES EVERYTHING

Get Dropped But I'm Right Back In

Wendy Who Web Development
Scott
Dioscuri
Dioscuri

Postby Cookie » Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:18 pm

Scott wrote:a bottle of lucozade and the intro to phantom of the opera was all the pre workout Daley Thompson needed :supz:

Too right.

Best advert EVER :prayer:

That was my plan when I got some. I found it very tough not to have some especially after a shit day at work.... which seemed to be every training day!

Same as you but for me it was more than likely days when I woke up, raining cats & dogs & felt like I'd only had 2-3 hours kip tops. So it was either down with a pre workout stim or a couple of pieces of energy gum before I could even contemplate training.

Melas Zomos wrote:For me it really depends on the workout planned and how fast it stimulates the cns. I can workout without a pre workout stim, but to be honest I am certainly more focused if I take in some form of caffeine. I do not need a lot, but just a little jolt (50-100mg caffeine) to get me focused, sort of a pre cns boost. The amount can effect the length of the session. Yes it is better to train without a stimulant, but with the stresses of today's world and the odd training times it offers I feel a mild stimulant is okay (50-150mg caffeine). In a perfect world I could plan my schedule both training and recovery to do without a pre workout stim, but unfortunately that is not in the cards just yet.
As far as Jackd every session, I am against that but it does work well if not abused. My experience is that it should be reserved for once maybe twice a week, tops, and that is purely dependent on the workout and focus needs.

If it was after 12pm I couldn't dare take any caffeine if I knew I had to get up next day for work :lol:

I think once a week for me would be too much looking back over my own experiences with it. Something like the 1,3 dim type products would suit me better if I was shooting for some sort of PB or a workout were I was doing some basic tests. Regular workouts, no not any more that compound just ravages my CNS too much.

I will say I wasn't just pointing the finger at Jack3d, that was just because I know we all know & have used that product.
"If you don't have conditioning it doesn't matter how big your muscles are they ain't gonna reach their full potential!"

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Scott » Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:16 pm

Cookie wrote:I will say I wasn't just pointing the finger at Jack3d, that was just because I know we all know & have used that product.

yeah, at least jack3d does what it claims to do ;-)

I dont think Ive ever used caffeine as a pre workout supp. not on its own anyway. you can pick up caffeine tabs really cheap, the 200mg ones. I might chuck a bottle in to my next order.

Scott
Dioscuri
Dioscuri

Postby Cookie » Sat Jan 28, 2012 1:25 pm

Scott wrote:yeah, at least jack3d does what it claims to do ;-)

No doubt that it works & I wouldn't have minded pitting it against some of the other similar products out there just to compare.

I dont think Ive ever used caffeine as a pre workout supp. not on its own anyway. you can pick up caffeine tabs really cheap, the 200mg ones. I might chuck a bottle in to my next order.

Used to drop 2-4 pro-plus most workouts when I was body-building, either that or down a bottle of "Red Kick" which used to be very good.

I shoot you up a couple of packets of that energy gum.

You'll love it :lol:

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Melas Zomos » Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:55 pm

Scott wrote:I dont think Ive ever used caffeine as a pre workout supp. not on its own anyway. you can pick up caffeine tabs really cheap, the 200mg ones. I might chuck a bottle in to my next order.

This is what works best for me. The top of the line brand "Vivarin" is the most consistent and noticeably better. Pay the extra few bucks and get the top of the line brand.

I like the tabs because you can just break of a quarter of it, put it under your tongue and in ten minutes ready to go, seldom do you need 200mg this way.

The problem I found with the lesser brands/store brands was their actual dosage was very inconsistent. One tab a quarter would work, but on another it would take nearly the whole one to equal the quarter. The boost was very short lived, and they did not take well to being exposed to air compared to the vivarin.

Never tried energy gum, so can't help you on that one.
“The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.” Citizen G’Kar
Melas Zomos
Lochagos
Lochagos

Postby Scott » Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:27 pm

Melas Zomos wrote:This is what works best for me. The top of the line brand "Vivarin" is the most consistent and noticeably better. Pay the extra few bucks and get the top of the line brand.

I actually tried 200mg caffeine via some pro plus before my last workout and I thought it was very good. something I would use again for sure. I was quite impressed with it.

Scott
Dioscuri
Dioscuri

Postby Cookie » Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:22 pm

Melas Zomos wrote:This is what works best for me. The top of the line brand "Vivarin" is the most consistent and noticeably better. Pay the extra few bucks and get the top of the line brand.

Too right.

You get what you pay for.

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Scott » Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:45 am

Jack3d is starting to get some heat :

Army deaths - Jack3d in the frame

personally I wouldnt use jack3d before a cardio type session as it is mad enough before weights. Interesting article none the less and it will be worth watching to see how far it goes.

kinda glad I decided to give the pre-wprkout supps market the elbow tbh, I should be able to get all focus and aggression I need for a workout from my natural abundance of general bitterness and hatred :mrgreen:

Scott
Dioscuri
Dioscuri

Postby Cookie » Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:27 pm

Scott wrote:Jack3d is starting to get some heat :

Army deaths - Jack3d in the frame

personally I wouldnt use jack3d before a cardio type session as it is mad enough before weights. Interesting article none the less and it will be worth watching to see how far it goes.

kinda glad I decided to give the pre-wprkout supps market the elbow tbh, I should be able to get all focus and aggression I need for a workout from my natural abundance of general bitterness and hatred :mrgreen:

Interesting read.

I think a lot of the concerns we've covered in the discussions on here. We've all had a long training history behind us & know the ropes when it comes to the various supplements that have hit the shelves over the last decade & with the supplements industries obsession with "mimicking" steroids, thyroid & asthmatic medications.

The boundaries have been pushed way too far in my opinion & I am surprised that they've only been two reported cases like those in that article.

For me this part of the statement says it all on how the supplement industry views things;

"It is a mild stimulant with effects similar to caffeine,"

Mild is the understatement of the decade.

The industry doesn't want regulation or for products only to be produced by the pharmaceutical giants. Yet it continually keeps hanging itself with the rope its fed.

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Scott » Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:06 pm

Cookie wrote: We've all had a long training history behind us & know the ropes when it comes to the various supplements that have hit the shelves over the last decade & with the supplements industries obsession with "mimicking" steroids, thyroid & asthmatic medications..

totally and I'll bet a massive section of these stims supplements customers dont have anything close to the kind of training history we have.
experience of using supplements over the years tells you when to use kid gloves with something. especially when it works as well as things like jack3d.

Scott
Dioscuri
Dioscuri

PreviousNext

Return to Nutrition