It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:33 pm
Change font size

Nutrition

Pre workout supplements

Syssitia : The communal & military mess of adult Spartan warriors

Moderator: Moderators

Pre workout supplements

Postby Cookie » Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:56 pm

What do people use to get that little extra out of a session?

Just used a couple of samples that I was sent that contained a banned substance in competition. Did a little search but couldn`t find out what the initial dosage was per serving, it just fell under that magic umbrella of "propriety blend" :roll:

Goes to show that something needs doing to the way supplements are manufactured, marketed & companies have to be a lot clear of what is in a product & how much.
"If you don't have conditioning it doesn't matter how big your muscles are they ain't gonna reach their full potential!"

21st century Takism

"wyrd bið ful aræd" Destiny is Everything
Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Re: Pre workout supplements

Postby Melas Zomos » Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:28 pm

Love phosphatidylserine. This really works well for me, but usually I need to couple it with a small dose of caffeine.
I like the jack3d, but use it very sparingly as my recent trials over the summer with a couple of fat burning stimulants did not go so well....proprietary blends imagine that :shock:
“The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.” Citizen G’Kar
Melas Zomos
Lochagos
Lochagos

Postby Scott » Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:47 pm

had a sample of maxi force NO........... vile. Ive tasted some truely awful supplements in my time and that is up there with the worst of them. cant really say if it worked as it was so offensive I ditched half of it.

I can still taste that shit :vom: tropical flavour?? more like rancid bollocks flavour.
FIGHTING SOLVES EVERYTHING

Get Dropped But I'm Right Back In

Wendy Who Web Development
Scott
Dioscuri
Dioscuri

Postby Melas Zomos » Tue Nov 23, 2010 3:48 pm

Scott wrote:had a sample of maxi force NO........... vile. Ive tasted some truely awful supplements in my time and that is up there with the worst of them. cant really say if it worked as it was so offensive I ditched half of it.

I can still taste that shit :vom: tropical flavour?? more like rancid bollocks flavour.

That is surprising in this age as most of the supplements are so loaded down with artificial sweeteners they taste sweeter than candy. Glad you were the test subject on this one rather than me :mrgreen:
“The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.” Citizen G’Kar
Melas Zomos
Lochagos
Lochagos

Postby Cookie » Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:39 pm

My main point with the OP was to highlight how something that could be bought legally over the counter could contain an ingredient which could give a positive result either in tested competition or your place of employment. Manufacturers, & the general public, have become so obsessed with giving the consumer a "drug like" effect in supplement form that the boundaries are now starting to become blared.

Looking at a whole host of these supplements reveals that the buying customer needs to have their wits about them & spend a heck of a lot of time reseachering the ever expanding lists of ingredients or "propriety blends" before even thinking about whether they can use it. On the flip side most people would think that because it is bought from a shop then everything within is 100% safe & legal.
"If you don't have conditioning it doesn't matter how big your muscles are they ain't gonna reach their full potential!"

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Melas Zomos » Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:35 pm

Cookie wrote:My main point with the OP was to highlight how something that could be bought legally over the counter could contain an ingredient which could give a positive result either in tested competition or your place of employment. Manufacturers, & the general public, have become so obsessed with giving the consumer a "drug like" effect in supplement form that the boundaries are now starting to become blared.

Looking at a whole host of these supplements reveals that the buying customer needs to have their wits about them & spend a heck of a lot of time reseachering the ever expanding lists of ingredients or "propriety blends" before even thinking about whether they can use it. On the flip side most people would think that because it is bought from a shop then everything within is 100% safe & legal.

I agree 100%. Some supplements I have recently tried, even though legal and available anywhere I would have to classify personally as borderline legal.
Melas Zomos
Lochagos
Lochagos

Postby Cookie » Wed Nov 24, 2010 6:45 pm

Scott wrote:had a sample of maxi force NO........... vile. Ive tasted some truely awful supplements in my time and that is up there with the worst of them. cant really say if it worked as it was so offensive I ditched half of it.

Some of the pre workout stuff is diabolical flavour wise, its as if they`ve thrown every sweetener plus the kitchen sink in there in an attempt to mask the taste.

Melas Zomos wrote:I agree 100%. Some supplements I have recently tried, even though legal and available anywhere I would have to classify personally as borderline legal.

The grey area is becoming ever more "grey" & the manufacturers need to learn that they have a sense of duty to their customers health. It is my opinion that the way the supplement industry has gone & going that its signing its own death warrant & governments will step in & shut up shop making big corporation pharmaceutical companies the only ones who can produce supplements of any kind.

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Cookie » Sat Nov 27, 2010 8:20 am

http://www.athleticxtreme.com/free-stimulantx-sample/

Another sample I was given to try.

Again I have to ask the question of how things of this potency can be classed as legal?

On another note have noticed with these "new breed" of supplements that the user seems to experience more tolerance to their effects/use with such shorter periods of time. 3-4 uses & the effects seem to subside quite considerably. This leaves the user with 2 choices of either taking time off or increasing dosage. On the tubs/samples the manufacturers recommendations seem to be to slowly increase the dose at these times. :-k

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Melas Zomos » Sun Nov 28, 2010 4:02 am

Cookie wrote:http://www.athleticxtreme.com/free-stimulantx-sample/
Another sample I was given to try.
Again I have to ask the question of how things of this potency can be classed as legal?

Now how the heck did you get that? Says US only :mrgreen:
I take it is was some powerful stuff, 8hrs of energy huh?

Cookie wrote:On another note have noticed with these "new breed" of supplements that the user seems to experience more tolerance to their effects/use with such shorter periods of time. 3-4 uses & the effects seem to subside quite considerably. This leaves the user with 2 choices of either taking time off or increasing dosage. On the tubs/samples the manufacturers recommendations seem to be to slowly increase the dose at these times. :-k

That is a very good observation. I too have noticed the same on a bunch of supplements too and just thought it was me developing a tolerance faster than everyone else. Glad I am not alone. I wonder if this was designed into the supplement on purpose, or if they all have a common ingredient(s) that are causing it. A supplements version of planned obsolesce?
I never remember getting such a tolerance to the original ECA stack. Sure I developed a little, but not nearly like I am now days over such a short period.
Melas Zomos
Lochagos
Lochagos

Postby Cookie » Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:56 am

Melas Zomos wrote:Now how the heck did you get that? Says US only :mrgreen:
I take it is was some powerful stuff, 8hrs of energy huh?

Oh I have my ways ;-)

They said 8 hours & were not far off. Took a single capsule on waking with an empty stomach. This started to take effect within around 15 minutes. Second dose was 4 hours later prior to second meal & I was still feeling the effects at around 6pm which was some 13 hours from first dose :shock: Whether or not this was down to it being the first time used or because I had split the dose I cannot be certain till I`ve tried it a couple of more times.

Melas Zomos wrote:That is a very good observation. I too have noticed the same on a bunch of supplements too and just thought it was me developing a tolerance faster than everyone else. Glad I am not alone. I wonder if this was designed into the supplement on purpose, or if they all have a common ingredient(s) that are causing it. A supplements version of planned obsolesce?
I never remember getting such a tolerance to the original ECA stack. Sure I developed a little, but not nearly like I am now days over such a short period.

Its a very naught concept if it has been planned into the design of a product by these manufacturers [-X I have wondered if it is because companies now spend so much time trying to "mimic" the effects of drug combinations to market to an ever more "I want it now" society that they are throwing everything but the kitchen sink into these products which plays havoc with the bodies receptor sites and nervous system that the body just adapts as quickly as possible to get back into homoeostasis.

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Cookie » Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:49 am

Melas Zomos wrote:Love phosphatidylserine. This really works well for me, but usually I need to couple it with a small dose of caffeine.
I like the jack3d, but use it very sparingly as my recent trials over the summer with a couple of fat burning stimulants did not go so well....proprietary blends imagine that :shock:

Never used, what dose & when do you take?

Which items were you using as well that you think added to this issue & what dose of Jack3d are you taking in?

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Melas Zomos » Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:01 pm

Cookie wrote:
Melas Zomos wrote:Love phosphatidylserine. This really works well for me, but usually I need to couple it with a small dose of caffeine.

Never used, what dose & when do you take?

Which items were you using as well that you think added to this issue & what dose of Jack3d are you taking in?

usually 1.5 scoops of the Jack3d mixed with about 6g of bcaa's does the job. Never needed more than 2 scoops. A scoop probably equates to a generous tablespoon. I usually mix this up the night before my morning workouts and put it by the bedside (not a morning person). Generally this is twice a week and I do not use it more than 3 times a week to avoid developing a tolerance.

The problem I had with the fat burner (oxyelite) was I was simply too sensitive to it. Even half dosage was more than enough for me. It certainly worked, I melted the fat off, but it really burnt me out, quite literally. Had I approached it with a little more caution (4 days on, 2 off, half to a quarter the recommended dose) perhaps that would have worked better.
Where I got into trouble was immediately following it up with Recreate which is a thermogenic with very little stimulant effect to get through some wrestling dates. This works on thyroid and while I liked this product alot, the rebound effect of the two was/is brutal. I just recently started supplementing with a high quality iodine supplement (kelp), and increased my protein intake which seems to be getting me back to normal when combined with a reduced workload.
I would not, not recommend (hey a double negative in the same sentence :mrgreen: ) the supplement to those who use stimulants or have experience with them as many people I know have no problems or symptoms of rebound effect with either. I do tell them it is powerful stuff and to exercise caution.
Melas Zomos
Lochagos
Lochagos

Next

Return to Nutrition