It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:04 pm
Change font size

Nutrition

Pre workout supplements

Syssitia : The communal & military mess of adult Spartan warriors

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Pre workout supplements

Postby Cookie » Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:53 am

Melas Zomos wrote:For me it seems that 2g is the minimum with 3g preferable. It seems to work best with a splattering of caffeine, does not need much though 50g or less depending on activity.
Focus is definitely improved.
Energy also is improved, but it does seem to use it up quicker too? Might be my imagination.
Hydration seems to be real important too. Noticed when I became de-hydrated I would get foot cramps, especially in the arch? It did not matter if I was doing land based exercises or swimming, the effect was the same. I get the same without taking it on occasion, but while taking it they seem a little more frequent. If I was sufficiently hydrated then it was a non issue altogether. Not really an issue.
I too feel an increase in cell volume, but not to the effect you had where the pumps were messing with your workouts.
Seems to also increase adrenaline?

This is only the second week, but my observations thus far. Overall I am quite pleased with the result. For the cost and what it does I feel that this is a worthy addition to pre-workout stacks.
Not sure how the effects will hold up over the long haul or whether they will diminish or if any off days are needed and if so how many.
Will keep you posted as time wears on.

Strange that you are suffering cramps. A lot of people take taurine to alleviate cramping :-k

I always have off days but that will depend on how many workouts you are doing per week. Currently on 4 so that would leave me 3 days completely off any form of pre workout boosters.

Have heard of people going as high as 5 grams per serving but I had a conversation with a guy once who works in the medical industry who was dead against supplemental taurine because of some links to Alzheimer`s disease but I`ve never been able to find any studies to back up what he said.
"If you don't have conditioning it doesn't matter how big your muscles are they ain't gonna reach their full potential!"

21st century Takism

"wyrd bið ful aræd" Destiny is Everything
Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Melas Zomos » Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:29 pm

Cookie wrote:Strange that you are suffering cramps. A lot of people take taurine to alleviate cramping :-k

Like I said, it was not something new it just seemed a little more pronounced. If I am hydrated it is a complete non issue.
When I swim I do not hydrate, and I do about 40 minutes of fartlek type training with minimum rest followed by 15 minutes of yoga, so I would attribute the cramps more to that than anything. The taurine just seemed to amplify what would likely have happened anyway, if that makes sense.
When I dry land train I always have water on hand, and it is a non issue.

Cookie wrote:I always have off days but that will depend on how many workouts you are doing per week. Currently on 4 so that would leave me 3 days completely off any form of pre workout boosters.

Right now I am going 6 days with 5 intense so I am only 1 day off.

Cookie wrote:Have heard of people going as high as 5 grams per serving but I had a conversation with a guy once who works in the medical industry who was dead against supplemental taurine because of some links to Alzheimer`s disease but I`ve never been able to find any studies to back up what he said.

Now you tell me about the Alzheimer's part? It must have slipped you mind then? :mrgreen:

Just to clarify as I was not clear in my previous post I am taking between 3g and 4g, but in a split.
1000-2000mg I am taking earlier in the day to see the effects on just everyday work. Playing with the doses.
This is followed about six to seven hours later with another dosing of 2000g, 30 minutes before workout in conjunction with 5g BCAA and about 300mg of Phosphatidylserine and some black tea.
One thing I can say for certain, as certain as two weeks trial can be, is this combination is the absolute best Anti-Catabolic formula I have ever tried. The addition of taurine to the stack made a HUGE difference to date.
I want to order some creatine next and add it in to the formula and see what that does.
“The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.” Citizen G’Kar
Melas Zomos
Lochagos
Lochagos

Postby Cookie » Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:03 pm

Melas Zomos wrote:Like I said, it was not something new it just seemed a little more pronounced. If I am hydrated it is a complete non issue.
When I swim I do not hydrate, and I do about 40 minutes of fartlek type training with minimum rest followed by 15 minutes of yoga, so I would attribute the cramps more to that than anything. The taurine just seemed to amplify what would likely have happened anyway, if that makes sense.
When I dry land train I always have water on hand, and it is a non issue.

Foam rolling shins is giving me cramps in toes....work that one out :lol:

Right now I am going 6 days with 5 intense so I am only 1 day off.

That`s a lot.

Now you tell me about the Alzheimer's part? It must have slipped you mind then? :mrgreen:

lol, very dry. :roll:

Just to clarify as I was not clear in my previous post I am taking between 3g and 4g, but in a split.
1000-2000mg I am taking earlier in the day to see the effects on just everyday work. Playing with the doses.
This is followed about six to seven hours later with another dosing of 2000g, 30 minutes before workout in conjunction with 5g BCAA and about 300mg of Phosphatidylserine and some black tea.

I hope that`s a typo :shock:

Once this race is done I will be switching back to afternoon, early evening training which would rule out any form of high dose caffeine style product & the likes of Jack3d styled products are a no no. They are in the system working for far to long to allow you to settle back down before bed time.

Have a couple of other products on the go at the moment with 2-3 more in the pipeline which may be decent additions to your above stack.

One thing I can say for certain, as certain as two weeks trial can be, is this combination is the absolute best Anti-Catabolic formula I have ever tried. The addition of taurine to the stack made a HUGE difference to date.

Now if take what you`ve done, add in my own additions. Get them all capped up & bottled I could sell it going along with the black tea theme & call it "BlackT" ;-) :lol:

I want to order some creatine next and add it in to the formula and see what that does.

Just using some new stuff I purchased from Scott`s workplace. results so far have been quite good. Mixes well, no taste problems. I have added in something with it which I feel is adding to the results in terms of the muscles feeling a tad more harder, fuller & a bit more energy in there. One problem I have found though is I need to make sure I have had enough carbohydrates the previous day or when I am training the following morning the muscles/quads, even after a pick me up, are pretty flat & heavy feeling.
"If you don't have conditioning it doesn't matter how big your muscles are they ain't gonna reach their full potential!"

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Melas Zomos » Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:54 pm

Cookie wrote:I hope that`s a typo :shock:

Melas Zomos does NOT make typos, if I typed 2000g then that is what I take. Yes kiddies following along, Melas Zomos consumes 20 bottles of 100 capsules of Taurine before working out....5-6 days a week. :finga:

Cookie wrote:Once this race is done I will be switching back to afternoon, early evening training which would rule out any form of high dose caffeine style product & the likes of Jack3d styled products are a no no. They are in the system working for far to long to allow you to settle back down before bed time.

Yes that is why I like tea, it just seems better in this aspect as well as others.

Cookie wrote:Have a couple of other products on the go at the moment with 2-3 more in the pipeline which may be decent additions to your above stack.
Now if take what you`ve done, add in my own additions. Get them all capped up & bottled I could sell it going along with the black tea theme & call it "BlackT" ;-) :lol:

Black T it is then. 2011 will be the birth of the Spartan Supplement line.
“The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.” Citizen G’Kar
Melas Zomos
Lochagos
Lochagos

Postby Scott » Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:03 am

had a scoop of jack3ed before last nights training, didnt really notice much at all. I think I'll increase it to 2 scoops next time.
initially after drinking it ( maybe 5 mins ) I kinda felt it but 30 mins later when I began training I couldnt honestly say I felt anything. maybe the 2 scoops will be better for me.
FIGHTING SOLVES EVERYTHING

Get Dropped But I'm Right Back In

Wendy Who Web Development
Scott
Dioscuri
Dioscuri

Postby Cookie » Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:56 pm

Scott wrote:had a scoop of jack3ed before last nights training, didnt really notice much at all. I think I'll increase it to 2 scoops next time.
initially after drinking it ( maybe 5 mins ) I kinda felt it but 30 mins later when I began training I couldnt honestly say I felt anything. maybe the 2 scoops will be better for me.

What's your normal caffeine intake?

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Scott » Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:21 pm

Cookie wrote:
What's your normal caffeine intake?

between 4 - 6 cups per day. no other stimulants.

Scott
Dioscuri
Dioscuri

Postby Cookie » Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:23 pm

Scott wrote:between 4 - 6 cups per day. no other stimulants.

That would be already giving you 160-240mg of caffeine per day. Maybe that's why you didn't feel it kick in.

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Scott » Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:16 pm

Cookie wrote:
That would be already giving you 160-240mg of caffeine per day. Maybe that's why you didn't feel it kick in.

maybe but Id be surprised if that sort of coffee intake was unusual. I'll try 2 scoops next training day.
I wasnt in the greatest of moods either mind you, I was kinda pissed off a bit before training. Dunno if that sort of thing has an effect, I suppose it must do.

Scott
Dioscuri
Dioscuri

Postby Scott » Sat Aug 13, 2011 6:46 pm

well I had 2 scoops of jack3d before training today.

35 mins after taking it I began training. TBH I didnt notice a thing. I was beginning to think I was immune!

About halfway into the workout, after squats and bench, I was doing pullups and I really felt fresh. I would go as far to say I felt better at this point than I did at the start of the workout.

This pretty much lasted the rest of the session. I felt just as fresh at the end of training as I did at that midway point and it was actually a really good training session, totally felt more focused from that halfway point.

I'll try the 3 scoops next time but I do think the jack3d had a positive effect on todays session.

Scott
Dioscuri
Dioscuri

Postby Cookie » Sun Aug 14, 2011 12:52 pm

Scott wrote:well I had 2 scoops of jack3d before training today.

35 mins after taking it I began training. TBH I didnt notice a thing. I was beginning to think I was immune!

About halfway into the workout, after squats and bench, I was doing pullups and I really felt fresh. I would go as far to say I felt better at this point than I did at the start of the workout.

This pretty much lasted the rest of the session. I felt just as fresh at the end of training as I did at that midway point and it was actually a really good training session, totally felt more focused from that halfway point.

I'll try the 3 scoops next time but I do think the jack3d had a positive effect on todays session.

How do you feel after the workout?

It used to affect me for hours afterwards which made using it very difficult if I was training on an afternoon.

The next generation of pre-workout supplements are going to have to focus on the focus side of things whilst trying to get away from the over stimulation of the nervous system.

From my own readings 6mg/kg of caffeine seems to be the optimum dose for competition but even that can be too much for some. But again caffeine stresses the nervous system too much & long term use gives less beenfits.

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Scott » Sun Aug 14, 2011 1:35 pm

I felt fine afterwards. didnt feel any crash and wasnt wired afterwards, not that I noticed.
It will be interesting when I use it on Monday though as I'll be training after work, much later than I trained on Saturday. I'll also try 3 scoops.

Scott
Dioscuri
Dioscuri

PreviousNext

Return to Nutrition