It is currently Fri May 10, 2024 8:13 am
Change font size

Nutrition

Pre workout supplements

Syssitia : The communal & military mess of adult Spartan warriors

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Pre workout supplements

Postby Cookie » Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:43 pm

Melas Zomos wrote:Have you tried it outside of red bull, solo?

Yes
"If you don't have conditioning it doesn't matter how big your muscles are they ain't gonna reach their full potential!"

21st century Takism

"wyrd bið ful aræd" Destiny is Everything
Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Cookie » Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:26 pm

This was a product I liked that didn`t have any crashes or comedowns. Its only negative was that it lasts a heck of a long time so is more suited, in my opinion, to early morning or weekend sessions.
"If you don't have conditioning it doesn't matter how big your muscles are they ain't gonna reach their full potential!"

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Scott » Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:20 pm

Cookie wrote:This was a product I liked that didn`t have any crashes or comedowns. Its only negative was that it lasts a heck of a long time so is more suited, in my opinion, to early morning or weekend sessions.

Never seen that before. Sounds quite mad.
FIGHTING SOLVES EVERYTHING

Get Dropped But I'm Right Back In

Wendy Who Web Development
Scott
Dioscuri
Dioscuri

Postby Cookie » Sat Feb 19, 2011 7:12 am

Scott wrote:Never seen that before. Sounds quite mad.

Pretty good stuff & you don`t feel like your whizzing off your tits like you can do with some of these new breed of pre workout supplements.

I`m expecting a number of these supplements containing things like 1,3 Dimeth & mega high doses of caffeine (some supposedly have 300mg per serving) to be pulled off the UK market before long. Someone somewhere is going to seriously hurt themselves either through an innocent mistake, stupidity or a first timer finding out their bodies just cannot handle the ingredients even at a starting off dose.

And all this does not make things any easier when we get to the term "proprietary blend" splashed all over the ingredients list & the doctor treating the patient does not have a clue what they are working against.

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Cookie » Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:29 pm

Done a wee experiment recently in relation to how much Jack3d affects your heart rate when exercising.

Experiment:
First thing on a morning done on an empty stomach.
Walking lunges for time.
1.5 scoops of Jack3d or 1 BSC (Bodyscience) Guarana 2400 ( 90mg caffeine).

Results:
Guarana lifted heart rate over target limit 5 times.
Jack3d lifted heart rate over target limit 12 times.

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Melas Zomos » Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:29 pm

Cookie wrote:Done a wee experiment recently in relation to how much Jack3d affects your heart rate when exercising.

Experiment:
First thing on a morning done on an empty stomach.
Walking lunges for time.
1.5 scoops of Jack3d or 1 BSC (Bodyscience) Guarana 2400 ( 90mg caffeine).

Results:
Guarana lifted heart rate over target limit 5 times.
Jack3d lifted heart rate over target limit 12 times.

Is this a target limit with lunges for time initially calculated with no stimulants?
“The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.” Citizen G’Kar
Melas Zomos
Lochagos
Lochagos

Postby Cookie » Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:59 pm

Melas Zomos wrote:Is this a target limit with lunges for time initially calculated with no stimulants?

I know my current aerobic & anaerobic max heart rates so I went slap bang in the middle of the two. Did the lunges with additional weight but not too much weight that it just fired up the anaerobic side of things.

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Melas Zomos » Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:23 pm

Cookie wrote:
Melas Zomos wrote:Is this a target limit with lunges for time initially calculated with no stimulants?

I know my current aerobic & anaerobic max heart rates so I went slap bang in the middle of the two. Did the lunges with additional weight but not too much weight that it just fired up the anaerobic side of things.

so that is 12x over what you would have been with no stimulants, correct?
Wow, I thought it would be a little over but not that much.
“The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.” Citizen G’Kar
Melas Zomos
Lochagos
Lochagos

Postby Cookie » Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:40 pm

Melas Zomos wrote:so that is 12x over what you would have been with no stimulants, correct?

No, it went over 12 times during the time I was exercising compared to just 5 times with the Guarana caplet. When they both went over it was easier & quicker to steady the heart rate back down to target numbers on the Guarana than it was with the Jack3d.

Melas Zomos wrote:Wow, I thought it would be a little over but not that much.

I think going over by 12x`s would kill you...lol

But on a serious note if I can get hold of a couple more doses I will compare the Jack3d with the Guarana & see how much they raise base heart rates when not exercising but just going about everyday things.

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Melas Zomos » Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:12 pm

Cookie wrote:No, it went over 12 times during the time I was exercising compared to just 5 times with the Guarana caplet. When they both went over it was easier & quicker to steady the heart rate back down to target numbers on the Guarana than it was with the Jack3d.

Gotcha. As soon as I get some free cash I will get the monitor and try it myself. If I remember correctly my heart at the time did not like Guarana. Would be interesting to compare.

At any rate, I am just using a mixture of tea right now with bcaa'a and phospatidylserine pre-workout. The Jack3d I use only before wrestling now as it seems to zone my brain in, and I did not like the effects of using 3+ times a week, or even 2x. Spike with caffeine (original formula, not sure if the changed over the years) was the same way. it really woke the brain up for me. Have you ever tried that?

Cookie wrote:I think going over by 12x`s would kill you...lol

I think it just fry's the brain, as obviously it has done to me for writing that #-o

Cookie wrote:But on a serious note if I can get hold of a couple more doses I will compare the Jack3d with the Guarana & see how much they raise base heart rates when not exercising but just going about everyday things.

That would be interesting, because as we hinted on previously the Jack3d after the first initial doses seemed to need a kick from the cns to get it going.
Melas Zomos
Lochagos
Lochagos

Postby Cookie » Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:48 am

Melas Zomos wrote:Gotcha. As soon as I get some free cash I will get the monitor and try it myself. If I remember correctly my heart at the time did not like Guarana. Would be interesting to compare.

I seem to get less "jittery" on guarana than bog standard coffee but it does seem to hang around quite a bit in my system. Not something I can take for afternoon workouts.

Melas Zomos wrote:At any rate, I am just using a mixture of tea right now with bcaa'a and phospatidylserine pre-workout. The Jack3d I use only before wrestling now as it seems to zone my brain in, and I did not like the effects of using 3+ times a week, or even 2x. Spike with caffeine (original formula, not sure if the changed over the years) was the same way. it really woke the brain up for me. Have you ever tried that?

Never used Spike. Don`t think I ever saw it for sale in the UK.

Jack3d does help with "the zone" its just the length of the stimulus & evident crash afterwards which are the biggest ball aches. Someone in the supplement industry really needs to address those issues with these types of supplements.

Taurine works for zoning its just a pain working out what works best for you because using too much ends up giving you too much cell volume & the pumps then become an issue for continuing the workout from my experiences.

Still not 100% convinced with the BCAA`s pre workout. Not noticed anything special happening with regards to energy, ability to work harder or get to the end of a session not feeling floored.

That would be interesting, because as we hinted on previously the Jack3d after the first initial doses seemed to need a kick from the cns to get it going.

Yeah agree there. I found if I had eaten within 3 hours previously of taking a dose it just did not want to work at the smaller end of the serving suggestions. Needed to take a half to full scoop more just to see something happen. And getting into the 2-3 scoops territory just did not make my ticker feel very good.

Did/have you ever noticed any tightening in the chest/rib area when using Jack3D?

Its something I`ve noticed on myself & it feels similar to either having a chest cold & wanting to have a good hard cough to clear the phlegm stuck there. Or that feeling you get when having eaten too fast of swallowed too much food in one go & it feels stuck.

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Melas Zomos » Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:15 pm

Cookie wrote:I seem to get less "jittery" on guarana than bog standard coffee but it does seem to hang around quite a bit in my system. Not something I can take for afternoon workouts.

I will have to play with it and get back to you on this one. I always had trouble (palpitations) when taking this but it was never strictly the “only” ingredient; there would always be a tad of caffeine mixed in too.

Cookie wrote:Never used Spike. Don’t think I ever saw it for sale in the UK.

Comes in drink and pill form, caffeine and un-caffeinated. Works good for a time and then loses its effect with regular use as with all the others. (biotest/t-nation product)

Cookie wrote:Jack3d does help with "the zone" it’s just the length of the stimulus & evident crash afterwards which are the biggest ball aches. Someone in the supplement industry really needs to address those issues with these types of supplements.

Why? Then they can’t “sell” you the product to help with the crashes. :mrgreen:

I get your point though. I just can not help but think there is a simple answer to our needs. There has to be a way to convince the body to adapt over to a type A like personality with energy to spare without draining the adrenal glands or od-ing on stims. Some people got it, and their diets are complete trash compared to ours. I wish I knew a legit hypnotist to experiment more on the mental part of it. I experimented a while back with meditation, but could not get what I wanted out of it in regards to energy. Always need a good dose of something to get that baby awakened. Once my CNS gets excited I am usually good, but still you always run the risk of draining the adrenal glands over time..

Ginkgo is supposed to be good for the brain I am told, but I could not get anything out of that really. But again with herbs you need a fresh and trusted source. I will have to revisit this too and find a good source. .

Cookie wrote:Taurine works for zoning its just a pain working out what works best for you because using too much ends up giving you too much cell volume & the pumps then become an issue for continuing the workout from my experiences.

This sounds like something I may have to look into. I assume the dosing varies from day to day which makes it tricky?

Cookie wrote:Still not 100% convinced with the BCAA`s pre workout. Not noticed anything special happening with regards to energy, ability to work harder or get to the end of a session not feeling floored.

This is more an anti-catabolic, not really for energy but necessary in my opinion. I believe because of this it helps with working harder and not necessarily stopping from getting floored that workout but recovering for the next.
The only problem I am seeing is it seems to be more effective when taken with a little bit of food or carbs as opposed to just water.
Either way, it does work though and works especially well as an anti-catabolic with phosphatidylserine. I have put this combo to test recently as I have played with reducing the carbs in my diet while increasing my workload. With the reduction of carbs it is far more important than it was without. For some reason I have developed a strange affinity for sensing catabolism over the last year. At least I believe it is catabolism I am sensing?

Cookie wrote:Yeah agree there. I found if I had eaten within 3 hours previously of taking a dose it just did not want to work at the smaller end of the serving suggestions. Needed to take a half to full scoop more just to see something happen. And getting into the 2-3 scoops territory just did not make my ticker feel very good.

Yes, the same here on all points.

Cookie wrote:Did/have you ever noticed any tightening in the chest/rib area when using Jack3D?
Its something I’ve noticed on myself & it feels similar to either having a chest cold & wanting to have a good hard cough to clear the phlegm stuck there. Or that feeling you get when having eaten too fast of swallowed too much food in one go & it feels stuck.

No, at least not enough to cause concern and make me note it. BUT, I do believe I get a side effect that may be related….I consistently get acid reflux from it.
It has happened way too many times to be anything else + I rarely get acid reflux from anything else.
Melas Zomos
Lochagos
Lochagos

PreviousNext

Return to Nutrition