It is currently Fri May 10, 2024 1:27 pm
Change font size

Nutrition

Pre workout supplements

Syssitia : The communal & military mess of adult Spartan warriors

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Pre workout supplements

Postby Cookie » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:46 pm

Melas Zomos wrote:I will have to play with it and get back to you on this one. I always had trouble (palpitations) when taking this but it was never strictly the “only” ingredient; there would always be a tad of caffeine mixed in too.

As a rule I don`t mix caffeine sources unless its a cup of rocketfuel coffee.

I get your point though. I just can not help but think there is a simple answer to our needs. There has to be a way to convince the body to adapt over to a type A like personality with energy to spare without draining the adrenal glands or od-ing on stims. Some people got it, and their diets are complete trash compared to ours. I wish I knew a legit hypnotist to experiment more on the mental part of it. I experimented a while back with meditation, but could not get what I wanted out of it in regards to energy. Always need a good dose of something to get that baby awakened. Once my CNS gets excited I am usually good, but still you always run the risk of draining the adrenal glands over time..

Maybe we just work too much in the day jobs :mrgreen:

Or better training, dietary & sleep habits so that the adrenal glands etc aren`t burnt out :-k

Ginkgo is supposed to be good for the brain I am told, but I could not get anything out of that really. But again with herbs you need a fresh and trusted source. I will have to revisit this too and find a good source.

Tried Ginko, felt nothing.

This sounds like something I may have to look into. I assume the dosing varies from day to day which makes it tricky?

I only took it on training days. For some bizarre reason 1-2g (recommended dose 1-3g) would deliver different results on different days. If it happened to be a running day & the lower limbs blew up with blood it was a no go.

Focus & energy on it was quite noticeable.

No, at least not enough to cause concern and make me note it. BUT, I do believe I get a side effect that may be related….I consistently get acid reflux from it.
It has happened way too many times to be anything else + I rarely get acid reflux from anything else.

No acid reflux this end, very few things ever do.

Might be the creatine.

I just don`t like this extended "zoned" feeling it gives. Sometimes I feel like that for 12 hours which is not good. No other similar styled product has ever had that effect on me before.
"If you don't have conditioning it doesn't matter how big your muscles are they ain't gonna reach their full potential!"

21st century Takism

"wyrd bið ful aræd" Destiny is Everything
Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Scott » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:41 pm

speaking about creatine..... slightly off topic... but is it really worth using a serving of creatine post workout if you're not using it at any other times?
FIGHTING SOLVES EVERYTHING

Get Dropped But I'm Right Back In

Wendy Who Web Development
Scott
Dioscuri
Dioscuri

Postby samurai69 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:02 am

Scott wrote:speaking about creatine..... slightly off topic... but is it really worth using a serving of creatine post workout if you're not using it at any other times?

personally i wouldnt think so.....certainly never noticed anything when i have had a drink (after a workout) with creatine in it
Ephor - one of five powerful civil magistrates in Spartan government, elected annually by the Assembly.

"I thought I was hard done by, when I had no shoes, until I saw a man who had no feet"]

http://www.newspartangym.co.nr
samurai69
Ephor
Ephor

Postby SpageHopkins » Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:24 am

That drink you sold me Cherry Bomb, Caz asked what was wrong I was chatting non-stop all the way home. May need to drink it earlier so the buzz is in the workout.
I found her in Windsor gym trying to find me and talking to some 20year old Blond adonis (Steroids if sour grapes count for anything).
She now says she may pick me up more often and can she buy the drinks in bulk (muttered something about DIY)
"...to me the object is not to beat someone, but merely to live up to your potential"
SpageHopkins
Neodamodeis
Neodamodeis

Postby Scott » Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:53 am

samurai69 wrote:personally i wouldnt think so.....certainly never noticed anything when i have had a drink (after a workout) with creatine in it

didnt think so. cheers.

Scott
Dioscuri
Dioscuri

Postby Cookie » Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:20 pm

Scott wrote:speaking about creatine..... slightly off topic... but is it really worth using a serving of creatine post workout if you're not using it at any other times?

Yes because you are helping to replace what has just been lost through the ATP metabolism/mechanisms that have just been exhausted during the workout.

You wouldn`t do a workout & not replace muscle glycogen.
"If you don't have conditioning it doesn't matter how big your muscles are they ain't gonna reach their full potential!"

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Melas Zomos » Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:50 pm

SpageHopkins wrote:That drink you sold me Cherry Bomb, Caz asked what was wrong I was chatting non-stop all the way home. May need to drink it earlier so the buzz is in the workout.
I found her in Windsor gym trying to find me and talking to some 20year old Blond adonis (Steroids if sour grapes count for anything).
She now says she may pick me up more often and can she buy the drinks in bulk (muttered something about DIY)

I am confused, are you a a male gigolo? :shock:
The way I am reading this; this girl that picks you up now and then was thinking about shagging with the 20yr old since you were late for your appointment..that was until you discovered the Cherry Bomb and now she is so enamored with your sudden energy and performance that she cares nothing of the 20yr old and is willing to not only elicit your services more but will also provide the tasty beverages?

Man, I am seriously doing something wrong. Some guys have all the luck.
Here's to you Mr.SpageHopkins, keep up the good work xxwave

Scott,
yes creatine is used for recovery and is perfectly acceptable to take post workout
“The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.” Citizen G’Kar
Melas Zomos
Lochagos
Lochagos

Postby SpageHopkins » Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:58 pm

Ha Ha Ha
You ARE confused!
though I am probably worth the £1.50 for a drink
and I wont even ask what you thought DIY refered to
"...to me the object is not to beat someone, but merely to live up to your potential"
SpageHopkins
Neodamodeis
Neodamodeis

Postby samurai69 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:39 am

Cookie wrote:

Yes because you are helping to replace what has just been lost through the ATP metabolism/mechanisms that have just been exhausted during the workout.

You wouldn`t do a workout & not replace muscle glycogen.

cookie your wrong, melas if its only after workouts unless he is training 4 or 5 times a week, in which case its same as taking it daley anyway................but just occasionally after training it wont help enough with the "phosphocreatine " replenishment, if you were taking it more regularly it would encourage faster replenisment
Ephor - one of five powerful civil magistrates in Spartan government, elected annually by the Assembly.

"I thought I was hard done by, when I had no shoes, until I saw a man who had no feet"]

http://www.newspartangym.co.nr
samurai69
Ephor
Ephor

Postby Scott » Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:08 pm

Cookie wrote:You wouldn`t do a workout & not replace muscle glycogen.

well, I would but Im a rebel :mrgreen:

Ive always wondered about that though:
Ive read that it can take 20 hours to replenish glycogen?
How depleted are the glycogen stores, would it not vary from workout to workout?

Though early literature appeared to indicate that the time course of glycogen replenishment after exercise-induced depletion was 48 hours or more, more recent data have controverted this thought. One study reported that a carbohydrate intake totaling up to 550-625 grams per day was found to restore muscle glycogen stores to pre-exercise levels within the 22 hours between exercise sessions. The findings of this study were supported by second study in which a carbohydrate intake of 3100 kcal resulted in complete resynthesis of glycogen within 24 hours.

:-k

Scott
Dioscuri
Dioscuri

Postby Cookie » Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:14 pm

Scott wrote:Ive read that it can take 20 hours to replenish glycogen?
How depleted are the glycogen stores, would it not vary from workout to workout?

Yes & whether it was anaerobic of aerobic work you were doing.

Though early literature appeared to indicate that the time course of glycogen replenishment after exercise-induced depletion was 48 hours or more, more recent data have controverted this thought. One study reported that a carbohydrate intake totaling up to 550-625 grams per day was found to restore muscle glycogen stores to pre-exercise levels within the 22 hours between exercise sessions. The findings of this study were supported by second study in which a carbohydrate intake of 3100 kcal resulted in complete resynthesis of glycogen within 24 hours.

Those numbers are scary :shock:

Wonder if this is why I`m not recovering to the extent I should be when you factor in the type of workouts I do & the day job. :-k

samurai69 wrote:cookie your wrong, melas if its only after workouts unless he is training 4 or 5 times a week, in which case its same as taking it daley anyway................but just occasionally after training it wont help enough with the "phosphocreatine " replenishment, if you were taking it more regularly it would encourage faster replenisment

Any studies to back it it?

I`m about to start a creatine program again, when it shows up, so we`ll see what I get out of it in terms of recuperation. Not after any size increase.

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Melas Zomos » Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:19 pm

samurai69 wrote:cookie your wrong, melas if its only after workouts unless he is training 4 or 5 times a week, in which case its same as taking it daley anyway................but just occasionally after training it wont help enough with the "phosphocreatine " replenishment, if you were taking it more regularly it would encourage faster replenisment

I will take your word for it. Not really an expert on creatine, other than the basics.

I ASSUME everyone on the board works out at least 5 days a week if not 6 or even 7 typically?
Am I ASSuming wrong?

When I did take it, it was always post workout because it does not react well, at least as far as strength gains are concerned, with caffeine and I liked to load it with post workout carbs and get that extra boost.
Ideally you would take it before and then after a workout I suppose.

I know this was mentioned in another post, but what source are you using for Creatine? Perhaps I will give it another go around and see what happens?

Cookie wrote:Those numbers are scary :shock:
Wonder if this is why I`m not recovering to the extent I should be when you factor in the type of workouts I do & the day job. :-k

Looking at your log, I would say yeah. You do not eat nearly enough calories in my opinion for what you are doing.

I would up the clean carbs (sweet potato, brown rice….) as well as the protein. You should be taking in at least 1.5g of protein per 1lb of bodyweight and unless that hemp shake is more powerful than I think or you skinnier than Samurai69 has led me to believe I would say you are consistently coming up short.
With all your running and walking you as well as any endurance athlete stands a good chance of sports anemia without enough protein, especially given your prior foot issues.
You would greatly increase your recovery by adding in more.
Yeah, I know easier said than done, but to me it looks more like a hybrid contest cutting diet than what I would consider a training diet. Fill that gas tank up bro.
Do you happen to have any of your logs when you looked like Hans…or was it Frans?
“The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.” Citizen G’Kar
Melas Zomos
Lochagos
Lochagos

PreviousNext

Return to Nutrition