a-vegan-no-more/

Syssitia : The communal & military mess of adult Spartan warriors

Moderator: Moderators

a-vegan-no-more/

Postby samurai69 » Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:20 am

http://voraciouseats.com/2010/11/19/a-vegan-no-more/

lots to read this is just a part of it

Part 1 – Health Shock

When the doctor first told me that I had numerous vitamin and mineral deficiencies, that I was almost anemic, and my B12 was so low she wanted to give me an injection immediately, I refused to believe her. I actually asked her to show me the blood test results because I thought there had to be some sort of mistake. But there was no mistake, it was right there in black and white; deficiencies and abnormalities across the board.

The results explained perfectly why I had been feeling weak and exhausted for more than 6 months. Whereas I had previously lived for working out and even an hour on the elliptical wasn’t enough for me, lately doing more than 20 minutes at a leisurely pace caused me to yearn to spend the rest of the day in bed recuperating. When I could I slept till noon, I felt lightheaded when I stood up, I couldn’t remember simple words or the names of my friends, and I was freezing cold even in the midst of a sweltering Saudi summer. Of the myriad symptoms I’ve listed here and the ones I will not be describing publicly, the absolute worst of all was my depression. This awful, lifelong foe I’ve been battling on and off was sneaking back into my life, painting the edges of my world a sickening black and stealing the joy that I had fought so desperately to regain.

The doctor, who was kind and very understanding, was surprisingly knowledgeable about vegan diets and had a career long specialization in nutrition. After ruling out any other possible medical condition, she patiently spoke over my tears and my hitching sobs and explained that yes, humans are healthiest when eating a large amount of varied plant foods, but that we would be wrong to ignore the small amounts of animal products that many of us so essentially need. “Most human bodies run optimally on the occasional animal product. Eggs and bits of meat every so often are small but very important parts of a healthy diet.” she said, a look of sorrow on her face. She could see how hard this was for me.

She told me that while there are people who can be quite healthy on a vegan, or predominantly vegan, diet, there were many people who simply could not. After all, every human is biologically and physiologically different, she explained. I listened patiently, refuting her claims with the knowledge I’ve gleaned over the years. After all, I wasn’t just a regular vegan, I was a hardcore, self-righteous and oh so judgmental vegangelical. I never passed up an opportunity for some preaching. She was prepared. Just as patiently she explained how many of the ‘facts’ I was quoting were just plain wrong, or had been presented in a way that distorted the truth. It was horrifying and I almost passed out in her office because I was so worked up.

She respected the fact that I was committed to staying vegan and worked with me for over an hour to figure out how I could maximize the nutrients in my already superbly healthy vegan diet. According to her, I was already doing everything right. Along with the minor dietary suggestions, she also recommended a variety of supplements in addition to the ones I already took everyday, including iron tablets.

I remained silent when she gave me the B vitamin injection, I tried not to cry as I waited in line at the pharmacy for my iron tablets, and when I arrived back home I hid the papers and the box of pills in the back of my bedside table. I didn’t tell anyone for days, not even Cody. I had failed and it would be my dirty little secret.

For a week I took the iron pills dutifully, somehow ignoring the fact that they weren’t vegan. I had felt a small measure of improvement immediately from the B vitamin injection, and was hoping for the same affect from the iron pills. Unfortunately, it was obvious after only a few days that they were making me ill. I couldn’t keep food down, I was spending hours a day in the bathroom, alternately hunched over or perched on top of the toilet. I was losing weight and feeling worse than ever.

I went back to the doctor and, just as patient as ever, she said that I was obviously not handling the pills well. I’m sensitive to just about all medication, even Advil has been known to make me sick, so this was no surprise. She asked me if I would consider adding a few eggs to my diet every day. I shook my head, a few eggs couldn’t really be that important. She explained that yes, they really were. But I still said no. Absolutely not. After another lengthy counseling session she wrote another prescription for another kind of iron supplement. Once again I tried to fight back tears at the pharmacy.
Ephor - one of five powerful civil magistrates in Spartan government, elected annually by the Assembly.

"I thought I was hard done by, when I had no shoes, until I saw a man who had no feet"]

http://www.newspartangym.co.nr
samurai69
Ephor
Ephor

Re: a-vegan-no-more/

Postby samurai69 » Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:32 am

Ephor - one of five powerful civil magistrates in Spartan government, elected annually by the Assembly.

"I thought I was hard done by, when I had no shoes, until I saw a man who had no feet"]

http://www.newspartangym.co.nr
samurai69
Ephor
Ephor

Postby HAIL PAYASO » Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:34 pm

If vegetarians love animals so much, why do they eat all their food?
HAIL PAYASO
Helot
Helot

Postby fits » Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:52 pm

I went to a health conference recently and it was very much marketed to vegans. Every one there looked skinny and sick. All of them quoted the China study when I spoke to them about it, and I asked any of them if they actually read they study as well as the book. most had not even read the book but quoted it allot. If you have not heard of it its basically an anti meat study. I have not read it either but made out i did and none of them could answer back. Apparently its been ripped apart and it was manipulated any way and then the book was manipulated when compared to the actual study. all a load of crap.... apparently lol

Vegan It is not a healthy way to eat. There are so many vegans that have been turned around to the paleo diet and feel GREAT after and then look back and can't believe how they were feeling before. The very fact that you HAVE to supplement on the diet tells you that its not meant for us.
Long John silver has nothing on me
fits
Polemarch.
Polemarch.

Postby Cookie » Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:16 pm

fits wrote:I went to a health conference recently and it was very much marketed to vegans. Every one there looked skinny and sick. All of them quoted the China study when I spoke to them about it, and I asked any of them if they actually read they study as well as the book. most had not even read the book but quoted it allot. If you have not heard of it its basically an anti meat study. I have not read it either but made out i did and none of them could answer back. Apparently its been ripped apart and it was manipulated any way and then the book was manipulated when compared to the actual study. all a load of crap.... apparently lol

Vegan It is not a healthy way to eat. There are so many vegans that have been turned around to the paleo diet and feel GREAT after and then look back and can't believe how they were feeling before. The very fact that you HAVE to supplement on the diet tells you that its not meant for us.

Pure anything is bollocks. periods of vegetarianism can be beneficial but not all the time.

Have to agree with the skinny & sickly looking aspect of these crackpots. The wife went veggie some years back & I hated it, she looked ill all the time. Eventually I got through to her & after a week or two back eating meat noticed a big difference in the way she felt.

Things like vegetarianism nearly only ever work if you've so much money you can afford the best of the best food sources & some nutritionist to work out all your meal values for you everyday.

Ever notice how most of these crackpots take more supplements than body-builders?
"If you don't have conditioning it doesn't matter how big your muscles are they ain't gonna reach their full potential!"

21st century Takism

"wyrd bið ful aræd" Destiny is Everything
Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Cookie » Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:42 pm

"If you don't have conditioning it doesn't matter how big your muscles are they ain't gonna reach their full potential!"

21st century Takism

"wyrd bið ful aræd" Destiny is Everything
Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby fits » Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:07 pm

Yeah I agree. Studying allot recently I have started to finally etch out my own ideas/opinions on nutrition etc. listen to Robb wolf about Paleo and it sounds the nuts. Listen to people juicing, and they all claim to be healthy and full of energy and live forever. Then you have pure raw foodists, that are mostly vegans in disguise and then you have the "true" paleo crowd that are eating everything including meat raw.

Talk to some people and raw milk is life, others its crap and only baby cows should drink it, then there's the new debate (maybe not so new?) about A1 Vs A2 cows.....it goes on and on.

the veggies , especially the vegans do seem to prop up certain parts of the supplement industry all by themselves. I think many of them do it just to be part of a crowd, others do it so they can look down at the devil animal killers!

Each to their own, I like my meat.
Long John silver has nothing on me
fits
Polemarch.
Polemarch.

Return to Nutrition