It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:48 pm
Change font size

Nutrition

Adrenal Fatigue

Syssitia : The communal & military mess of adult Spartan warriors

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Adrenal Fatigue

Postby Melas Zomos » Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:14 pm

Thanks for the info. Hope the chap is doing better. It all adds up real quick.

Adrenal fatigue is a growing problem over here, mainly due to over consumption of energy drinks. I remember Paul Chek was really big on this years ago, before he turned himself into a messiah, and that was the first I ever heard of it. It seems he was right on.

I am always amazed at the power of cortisol. Too bad their is not an easy test, like a ph strip for it. In hindsight, I should have also included that test when I ordered a blood test for myself, but I was not thinking that avenue + the added cost for some of those tests are outrageous. Jeez just for getting test levels checked is an extra $80us.
They had a really nice test that checked everything, including vitamin and mineral deficiencies but it was $800.
I really think :shock: I need to be-friend someone in the business. :mrgreen:
“The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.” Citizen G’Kar
Melas Zomos
Lochagos
Lochagos

Postby Cookie » Tue Dec 28, 2010 2:57 pm

Melas Zomos wrote:Thanks for the info. Hope the chap is doing better. It all adds up real quick.

He`s on the mend slowly but surely. Some way to go but I think he`ll enjoy the end results once he gets there. Obviously I`ve noticed some resistance to having to change his ways so dramatically but that is something I have seem many a time with individuals which have had to leave the whole "body-building" scene behind them because of "issues" it has caused them.

Melas Zomos wrote:Adrenal fatigue is a growing problem over here, mainly due to over consumption of energy drinks. I remember Paul Chek was really big on this years ago, before he turned himself into a messiah, and that was the first I ever heard of it. It seems he was right on.

Unfamiliar with Chek`s work as a whole, only read bits & bats but I`ve found most successful coaches get a "holier than thou" mindset as their popularity grows. Must go with the territory. But yeah looking round I can see where he was coming from in regards to the ever larger amounts of "stimulants" people consume not only to get through workouts but even through the day. And the marketing of these products is bordering on insane with just about every sport carrying a logo or two for certain companies and its the kids that then want these types of things.

Melas Zomos wrote:I am always amazed at the power of cortisol. Too bad their is not an easy test, like a ph strip for it. In hindsight, I should have also included that test when I ordered a blood test for myself, but I was not thinking that avenue + the added cost for some of those tests are outrageous. Jeez just for getting test levels checked is an extra $80us.
They had a really nice test that checked everything, including vitamin and mineral deficiencies but it was $800.
I really think :shock: I need to be-friend someone in the business. :mrgreen:

Better insurance cover :lol:

Can`t say I`ve had a Cortisol or testosterone test done myself. Just the basics whenever they were needed to sort out some other issues.
"If you don't have conditioning it doesn't matter how big your muscles are they ain't gonna reach their full potential!"

21st century Takism

"wyrd bið ful aræd" Destiny is Everything
Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Melas Zomos » Wed Dec 29, 2010 5:49 pm

Cookie wrote:He`s on the mend slowly but surely. Some way to go but I think he`ll enjoy the end results once he gets there. Obviously I`ve noticed some resistance to having to change his ways so dramatically but that is something I have seem many a time with individuals which have had to leave the whole "body-building" scene behind them because of "issues" it has caused them.

Good to hear, it is a rough one. The more athletic minded you are, the harder and longer it is to recover.

Cookie wrote:I`ve found most successful coaches get a "holier than thou" mindset as their popularity grows. Must go with the territory.

Yeah, I suppose. But when they start shaving their heads in order to be closer to God, then I have to start drawing the line. :shock:

Cookie wrote:But yeah looking round I can see where he was coming from in regards to the ever larger amounts of "stimulants" people consume not only to get through workouts but even through the day. And the marketing of these products is bordering on insane with just about every sport carrying a logo or two for certain companies and its the kids that then want these types of things.

Right on.

Cookie wrote:Better insurance cover :lol:

Do not even get me started on that. Needless to say, since the accident I have found it much more economical, less stressful, and better time managing just to do stuff like this out of pocket and on my own.
“The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.” Citizen G’Kar
Melas Zomos
Lochagos
Lochagos

Postby Cookie » Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:59 am

Melas Zomos wrote:But when they start shaving their heads in order to be closer to God

That is slightly too way out even more me :shock:

Melas Zomos wrote:Do not even get me started on that. Needless to say, since the accident I have found it much more economical, less stressful, and better time managing just to do stuff like this out of pocket and on my own.

Fingers crossed then that that system never makes it to these shores like everything else has.
"If you don't have conditioning it doesn't matter how big your muscles are they ain't gonna reach their full potential!"

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Cookie » Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:08 am

Switched mate onto Yerba Mate as he continues to taper off Caffeine because it affects the CNS less.

He`s still struggling to get his head around the idea of "functioning" without having to use something. :roll:

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Melas Zomos » Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:10 pm

Cookie wrote:Switched mate onto Yerba Mate as he continues to taper off Caffeine because it affects the CNS less.

Tried that with a tea, just do not like the taste at all :vom:

Cookie wrote:He`s still struggling to get his head around the idea of "functioning" without having to use something. :roll:

Well, I can certainly understand that. Unless I have really good recovery the day/night before I usually need a little jolt of caffeine. It is more mental than anything, I think.
Melas Zomos
Lochagos
Lochagos

Postby Cookie » Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:30 pm

Melas Zomos wrote:Tried that with a tea, just do not like the taste at all :vom:

I thought it tasted just like green tea. Had thought about buying some of the flavoured stuff to try as I do like to drink yerba mate on a weekend.

Melas Zomos wrote:Well, I can certainly understand that. Unless I have really good recovery the day/night before I usually need a little jolt of caffeine. It is more mental than anything, I think.

Have to agree with the "mental" side of needing a jolt before training. We seem to have conditioned ourselves these days to the need to have something to give us an "edge" before training.

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Melas Zomos » Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:14 pm

Cookie wrote:Switched mate onto Yerba Mate as he continues to taper off Caffeine because it affects the CNS less.

Tried a Mate blend over the weekend that was not bad at all. It was a loose tea blend of White ayurvedic chai and chai mate.
The one I tried twice before was straight yerba mate which I found terrible.
Once my current supply of tea is depleted I will experiment further.
Melas Zomos
Lochagos
Lochagos

Postby Cookie » Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:32 pm

Melas Zomos wrote:Tried a Mate blend over the weekend that was not bad at all. It was a loose tea blend of White ayurvedic chai and chai mate.

Not used those two you mention. Had my eye on a couple of the flavoured varieties like apple or orange.

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Melas Zomos » Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:46 pm

Cookie wrote:
Melas Zomos wrote:Tried a Mate blend over the weekend that was not bad at all. It was a loose tea blend of White ayurvedic chai and chai mate.

Not used those two you mention. Had my eye on a couple of the flavoured varieties like apple or orange.

Do we need a tea/mate thread, to post what combination tastes good or not, has the most kick....?
Melas Zomos
Lochagos
Lochagos

Postby Cookie » Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:54 pm

Melas Zomos wrote:Do we need a tea/mate thread, to post what combination tastes good or not, has the most kick....?

Why not :mrgreen:

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Cookie » Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:29 pm

Found 2 obscure references to an easy to buy supplement that is supposed to help with this. Once I have confirmed it is correct I`ll post up more details.

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

PreviousNext

Return to Nutrition