Change font size

Nutrition

Super Cereal

Syssitia : The communal & military mess of adult Spartan warriors

Moderator: Moderators

Super Cereal

Postby Gridlock1 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:56 pm

Hi All,

Just made some super cereal and my God it's good!

If you google "raw Granola" you will find plenty of recipes so I won't go into to much detail.. The best thing is that it is completely customisable depending on what nutrition you want/need. More fruit, less fruit, superfood, green powders? This cereal is also completely natural, raw (if you make it that way), free from any additives etc and no refined food of any type. The only downside is probably it is quite high in sugar from all the dried fruit, but you could reduce the amount if you wished and at least the sugar is only coming from natural sources - unlike almost any other cereal on the market. Final thing - it tastes amazing, which is difficult of you are trying to cut down how much you eat.

This is how I made mine

The base of the cereal is sprouted Buckwheat, it makes up about 60% of the final volume. I got my buckwheat from tesco and it worked great. google "sprout buckwheat" if you need to but in short - rinse it throughly, soak it in water for 1 hour, then drain and put in a pot, rinse it about every 6-8 hours and after 24 hours it will be growing roots - sorted. You can use it right away or dry it in the oven (or dehydrator if you want it raw) and it keeps for ages.

Sprouted & dehydrated Buckwheat (about 60% of the total volume)
Sprouted & dehydrated Pumpkin seeds
Sprouted & dehydrated Sunflower seeds
Sprouted & dehydrated Sesame seeds
Dessicated coconut
Porridge Oats
Almonds
Brazil Nuts
Peanuts
Hazelnuts
Dried Cranberrys
Dried Apricots
Prunes
Dates
Sultanas
Raisins
Currants
Olive Oil
Honey
Cinnamon
Nutmeg
Vanilla Essence
Salt

Basically mix it all in a bowl spread it on a sheet and bake at a low heat or dehydrate.
Eat it like a cereal.

So there it is a real power house breakfast, high in protein, high in Omega 3's, high in antioxidants, excellent mineral profile etc etc etc.

Chuck in whatever you want - Goji Berries, Blueberries, Spinach power, maca Powder, dried pomegranite, Acai powder, protein powder.......it tastes great and I can't think of abetter way to start the day than with a bowl full of superfoods!
Gridlock1
Helot
Helot

Re: Super Cereal

Postby Cookie » Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:03 pm

Thanks for that :grin:

Love simple home made stuff like that.
"If you don't have conditioning it doesn't matter how big your muscles are they ain't gonna reach their full potential!"

21st century Takism

"wyrd bið ful aræd" Destiny is Everything
Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Re: Super Cereal

Postby Melas Zomos » Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:24 pm

Love granola, just feel guilty eating it...tastes so good once it touches my lips.....
“The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.” Citizen G’Kar
Melas Zomos
Lochagos
Lochagos

Return to Nutrition