It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:20 am
Change font size

Nutrition

DIM (diindolylmethane)

Syssitia : The communal & military mess of adult Spartan warriors

Moderator: Moderators

DIM (diindolylmethane)

Postby Melas Zomos » Thu Dec 30, 2010 5:42 pm

Anyone have experience the supplement DIM? I just started playing around with it.
I am looking at it from a training perspective of decreasing bad estrogen while freeing up some testosterone.

"The following definition of diindolylmethane was taken from
the National Cancer Institute:

diindolylmethane
A phytonutrient and plant indole found in cruciferous vegetables including broccoli, brussels sprouts, cabbage, cauliflower and kale, with potential antiandrogenic and antineoplastic activities. As a dimer of indole-3-carbinol, diindolylmethane (DIM) promotes beneficial estrogen metabolism in both sexes by reducing the levels of 16-hydroxy estrogen metabolites and increasing the formation of 2-hydroxy estrogen metabolites, resulting in increased antioxidant activity. Although this agent induces apoptosis in tumor cells in vitro, the exact mechanism by which DIM exhibits its antineoplastic activity in vivo is unknown. Check for active clinical trials using this agent. (NCI Thesaurus)

US brand name: BioResponse DIM
Abbreviation: DIM
Chemical structure name: 3,3'-diindoylmethane "

http://www.dimfaq.com/
“The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.” Citizen G’Kar
Melas Zomos
Lochagos
Lochagos

Re: DIM (diindolylmethane)

Postby Cookie » Fri Dec 31, 2010 10:31 am

Never heard of it, only new test boosting compound I have seen is DAA but have no experience of it.

As for the use of "cruciferous vegetables" in the diet for increased test/reduced estrogen I have done & found that the larger use killed my sex drive. Something to do with the way it acts on estrogen & the test/estrogen ratio`s getting messed up.
"If you don't have conditioning it doesn't matter how big your muscles are they ain't gonna reach their full potential!"

21st century Takism

"wyrd bið ful aræd" Destiny is Everything
Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Melas Zomos » Sat Jan 01, 2011 3:51 am

Cookie wrote:Never heard of it, only new test boosting compound I have seen is DAA but have no experience of it.

As for the use of "cruciferous vegetables" in the diet for increased test/reduced estrogen I have done & found that the larger use killed my sex drive. Something to do with the way it acts on estrogen & the test/estrogen ratio`s getting messed up.

Hmmm. Interesting info. Thanks for sharing.
I am a little surprised that you could eat that many vegetables, or did you supplement?
Getting that ratio fixed is exactly what I am trying to do.
Using the Dim appeared to work, though it only has been a week. It is very sensitive to time and dose, which I am experimenting with now. Unfortunately all I have to judge it by is feeling and as primitive as it sounds, "morning wood." Once I feel I got it down, then I may try to get a blood test and get a better idea.
If you got any ideas on how to get that free test ratio up let me know.
“The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.” Citizen G’Kar
Melas Zomos
Lochagos
Lochagos

Postby Cookie » Sat Jan 01, 2011 4:15 pm

Melas Zomos wrote:Hmmm. Interesting info. Thanks for sharing.
I am a little surprised that you could eat that many vegetables, or did you supplement?
Getting that ratio fixed is exactly what I am trying to do.
Using the Dim appeared to work, though it only has been a week. It is very sensitive to time and dose, which I am experimenting with now. Unfortunately all I have to judge it by is feeling and as primitive as it sounds, "morning wood." Once I feel I got it down, then I may try to get a blood test and get a better idea.
If you got any ideas on how to get that free test ratio up let me know.

I was following a dietary plan that left me rather constipated :cry: even though it was quite high in fibre, natural clean foods. So we upped the fibre & fat content. Result was a loss of sex drive & it was quite dramatic even though I felt & looked the healthiest I had in a long time. After some research it seemed that the high vegetable/fibre content had the effect of knocking out the estrogen/test ratios by some mechanism which escapes me. And I was eating a lot of cruciferous vegetables simply because I like them.

Morning wood is primitive but an effective way to determine what`s going on test wise. I had considered trying the DAA but there`s not enough feedback yet for my liking on "real time" use by people in the gyms.
"If you don't have conditioning it doesn't matter how big your muscles are they ain't gonna reach their full potential!"

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Melas Zomos » Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:12 pm

Cookie wrote: I had considered trying the DAA but there`s not enough feedback yet for my liking on "real time" use by people in the gyms.

:?: :?: Not sure what DAA is, at least not computer related that is.
Melas Zomos
Lochagos
Lochagos

Postby Cookie » Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:37 pm

Melas Zomos wrote: :?: :?: Not sure what DAA is, at least not computer related that is.

D`aspiric acid (sp)

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Cookie » Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:39 pm

Cookie wrote:
Melas Zomos wrote: :?: :?: Not sure what DAA is, at least not computer related that is.

D`aspiric acid (sp)

Correction D Aspartic Acid :oops:

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Melas Zomos » Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:50 pm

Cookie wrote:Correction D Aspartic Acid :oops:

Google corrected your previous entry for you :mrgreen:

Never heard of it till now. Really have not given all the test boosters a thorough going over yet other than trying usp's prime awhile back, had a sample.
I do not think I need them quite yet. Still got a few more years in the boys I am thinking/hoping :mrgreen:
Besides, I am not sure how a test booster will help or hinder the test/E balance problem right now or even on a person who is in balance. It might just expound it on both ends or make it worse. Then again it could make it better, but I am assuming it won't due to most people doing TRT add in something for estrogen.
Personally my general test numbers are acceptable, with the exception of free test. It is just a matter of freeing up that test. I was hoping the DIM would do it, and initially it appeared it would, but the dosage required and cost involved is making me look into other avenues.

If I can not find an acceptable solution then I may just try a test booster to see what happens.

This really has me baffled as I try to limit any estrogen causing elements from my daily routine.
No microwave, very little plastic, little to no soy.
The only things in my diet that I see could be very remotely responsible are the Phosphatidylserine, or my Protein which I get sweetened with Stevia. Late 70's reports do indicate Stevia has a link with estrogen formation, but I really do not see 5 scoop or so a day causing this much of a disruption???
Just in case I did order a new protein, should be here today.
Melas Zomos
Lochagos
Lochagos

Postby Cookie » Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:36 pm

Melas Zomos wrote:Google corrected your previous entry for you :mrgreen:

Thank heavens for Google hey, wonder in Bing would have found that :roll: :lol:

Melas Zomos wrote:Never heard of it till now. Really have not given all the test boosters a thorough going over yet other than trying usp's prime awhile back, had a sample.

Know nothing of prime so can`t comment. Have used large doses of trib & found that did "something".

Melas Zomos wrote:Besides, I am not sure how a test booster will help or hinder the test/E balance problem right now or even on a person who is in balance. It might just expound it on both ends or make it worse. Then again it could make it better, but I am assuming it won't due to most people doing TRT add in something for estrogen.
Personally my general test numbers are acceptable, with the exception of free test. It is just a matter of freeing up that test. I was hoping the DIM would do it, and initially it appeared it would, but the dosage required and cost involved is making me look into other avenues

My opinion has always been that even if its a natural test booster it should be cycled & used at the barest minimum to get results just like the use of steroids. If we increase something then the body will do what it can to stay in homoeostasis.

Melas Zomos wrote:If I can not find an acceptable solution then I may just try a test booster to see what happens.

This really has me baffled as I try to limit any estrogen causing elements from my daily routine.
No microwave, very little plastic, little to no soy.
The only things in my diet that I see could be very remotely responsible are the Phosphatidylserine, or my Protein which I get sweetened with Stevia. Late 70's reports do indicate Stevia has a link with estrogen formation, but I really do not see 5 scoop or so a day causing this much of a disruption???
Just in case I did order a new protein, should be here today.

Never knew PS or Stevia could cause a rise in estrogen levels.

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Melas Zomos » Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:57 pm

Cookie wrote:My opinion has always been that even if its a natural test booster it should be cycled & used at the barest minimum to get results just like the use of steroids. If we increase something then the body will do what it can to stay in homoeostasis.

100% dead on there bro.

Cookie wrote:Never knew PS or Stevia could cause a rise in estrogen levels.

I really have nothing conclusive. Many conflicting reports and studies. No way to tell which ones are being influenced since it has become mainstream to replace artificial sweeteners. There was a report from the 60's or 70's on the use of the plant in a tea where the local tribes in paraguay used it as a birth control measure in women and they deemed it something to do with rises in estrogen. The sweetener only uses part of the plant, so who knows.
Also a lot of posts complaining of side effects from the sweetener are surprisingly similar to fluctuations in estrogen in men, but again you have to take that with a grain of salt too as people love to blame the latest and greatest thing.

PS I never heard of it raising estrogen levels either, but it is soy based and I know soy does effect estrogen levels and thus my reason for flagging it.

Honestly I do not think either are the problem, but I have read enough for me just to monitor them.
I just received my custom blended protein so I will work that in when I use up all the Stevia flavored one.
Melas Zomos
Lochagos
Lochagos

Return to Nutrition