It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:22 am
Change font size

Nutrition

BCAA's vs EAA

Syssitia : The communal & military mess of adult Spartan warriors

Moderator: Moderators

Re: BCAA's vs EAA

Postby Melas Zomos » Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:10 pm

westy wrote:Not great numbers I know and it's the main part of my training that I am unhappy with.

Ha, everyone one of us on the board says that too. :mrgreen: Nothing to be bummed about at all. You are getting at it and looking to improve and that is what counts.

westy wrote:About 5 years ago I had a grade 2 hamstring tear in my left leg which took a long time to heal, its pretty much fine now I only feel it if I don't warm up. It's also a bit tighter than my right due to the scar tissue (apparently)

This has me a little concerned. Judging by what I have read you really should not be getting such soreness on that program. I am not necessarily a fan of the program as related to your goals, it really should not be causing you such issues on a consistent basis. I could see it happening possibly on the very first workout, but after that it should not be a problem given your athletic background and the relatively low volume of the program.

While I would most definitely adhere to Cookies’ recommendations,
I would also seriously review your posture, mechanics, form, whatever you want to call it as related to these lifts especially the squat. I am thinking this could be your primary concern. Cookie touched on it briefly in his post, but I would review your hip flexibility and torso lean when squatting. Have someone film you or photograph you and then review the angles. If you have weak/injured/tight hamstrings or hips then this will dramatically affect the lift and turn it to more of a lower back/quad lift which is not what you want out of those exercises.

Not to scare you, and this may or may not be the case at all, I am just throwing out their for consideration, but I have seen numerous times where an acute injury or imbalance has caused the pelvis to tilt in a way that the quads are forced to take the brunt of all the weight, not just lifting but the majority of body weight in daily life. At times this feels like you just ran stairs despite not doing really enough to warrant such soreness. The cause of this pelvic tilt could be from an injury such as the one you had that had not properly healed and created an imbalance. It could be as simple as a slightly miss-aligned vertebrae, overly tight hips or hamstrings, an imbalance from doing an exercise imperfectly, etc and then when the added stress of squatting is added in it really shows itself. I know it sounds bad, but it is certainly fixable. Keep in mind this may not be the case at all, just a consideration. It is almost impossible to diagnose things over the internet as opposed to in person.

Have you ever done an overhead squat? This is a pretty good tool to diagnose weaknesses.
Try it with a broomstick or unloaded bar and report back.
I am thinking you need to work on the hips/hamstrings and the posture of your lift.
Once you get that straightened out your lifts as related to the squat and deadlift should improve dramatically.

Tip: The first movement of a squat should be initiated with the buttocks.

I don't suppose you are located anywhere near Samurai69's gym or Cookie's Hood :roll: It may be worth a trip if you are and throw them a few bucks to have them review your posture on those lifts. You really have to have someone that really knows what they are doing, as opposed to the local trainer, diagnose squat form. I am confident they could and wish I was close enough to have them monitor my form every now and then for a possible imbalance that I may be missing.

If your posture is perfect then it would appear to be a work threshold/nutrition issue more than likely.

westy wrote:That is a massive post to respond but hopefully I have answered all the questions.

The more info the better bro.
Last edited by Melas Zomos on Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.” Citizen G’Kar
Melas Zomos
Lochagos
Lochagos

Postby Melas Zomos » Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:13 pm

Don't know what happened there had a double post, itchy trigger finger I guess.
“The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.” Citizen G’Kar
Melas Zomos
Lochagos
Lochagos

Postby samurai69 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:19 pm

You really have to have someone that really knows what they are doing, as opposed to the local trainer, diagnose squat form. I am confident they could and wish I was close enough to have them monitor my form every now and then for a possible imbalance that I may be missing.

a good point, 10 or 11 years ago i was deadlifting with what i thought was quite good form(checking things out in the mirror always) and it was onll when i was at a seminar that it was pointed out to me 2 or 3 things that i was way off the mark with.....regular re checkings a very good and importan point.............we have changed so many things with cookies posture and stanc and hip placement and hip strength through the short times we get together

so if you can video or have pictures taken its a good thing...........even now if i feel something is wron in a lift i am trying to improve on, i often set up the video to see how things are going

Ephor - one of five powerful civil magistrates in Spartan government, elected annually by the Assembly.

"I thought I was hard done by, when I had no shoes, until I saw a man who had no feet"]

http://www.newspartangym.co.nr
samurai69
Ephor
Ephor

Postby westy » Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:27 am

Hi Guys

Yeah I suppose it's difficult with checking form etc. There are a couple of people at my gym who's opinions I trust but I will film my squat and deadlift so I can see what you think.

I also know a very good physio (he works for Sussex County Cricket Club) so I will get him to have a look at my posture etc to see if there are any problems there.

Where abouts are Samurai and Cookie based? Samurai is your gym in Watford I seem to remember reading that in a post?

This has me a little concerned. Judging by what I have read you really should not be getting such soreness on that program. I am not necessarily a fan of the program as related to your goals, it really should not be causing you such issues on a consistent basis. I could see it happening possibly on the very first workout, but after that it should not be a problem given your athletic background and the relatively low volume of the program.

I have now done the squat session 3 times and I agree, after the first one I just put it down to not having done 10 rep sets for a long time, but after the third session and exactly the same result I thought I had better ask! The program I am using does progress onto lower rep sets for a few weeks and then moves back up to 8 reps so it will be interesting to see what happens.

Have you ever done an overhead squat? This is a pretty good tool to diagnose weaknesses.
Try it with a broomstick or unloaded bar and report back.
I am thinking you need to work on the hips/hamstrings and the posture of your lift.
Once you get that straightened out your lifts as related to the squat and deadlift should improve dramatically.

Yeah I have done a few of these but I will get that filmed too.

Yeah it's funny you mention it but when I squat it feels like my hips that are the limiting factor (especially when squatting to just below parallel) as opposed to the actual strength of my legs, does that make any sense?

That will be fine as long as it is allowed by the owner/writer of the program. Some copyrights don`t allow the sharing of certain information.

Im not sure about this' if not i'll write some of it up in my words.
westy
Helot
Helot

Postby samurai69 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:42 am

yeh gyms in watford

will be interesting to see how the lower rep sessions work

good to get the physio to do a complete posture check even if its not relevant to this particular problem
Ephor - one of five powerful civil magistrates in Spartan government, elected annually by the Assembly.

"I thought I was hard done by, when I had no shoes, until I saw a man who had no feet"]

http://www.newspartangym.co.nr
samurai69
Ephor
Ephor

Postby westy » Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:59 am

Ok well I am in brighton but I do travel with work sometimes so if I give you some notice maybe I could pop in?

The photo of the multi man looks good, the gym looks great!

I also just wanted to finalise my workout nutrition so I have it all planned and ready (im that type of personality ;-) )

Previously I did

30 mins pre - Protein 20g
6 BCAA Tabs

Post Workout - 1 Scoop Pro Recover + 2 scoops whey
6 BCAA tabs

I just wanted to get a solid list of what and when I should take everything. Can we go over it once more so I have it clear please?

Hope that's ok

Westy
westy
Helot
Helot

Postby Cookie » Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:32 pm

westy wrote:Ok well I am in brighton but I do travel with work sometimes so if I give you some notice maybe I could pop in?

The photo of the multi man looks good, the gym looks great!

I also just wanted to finalise my workout nutrition so I have it all planned and ready (im that type of personality ;-) )

Previously I did

30 mins pre - Protein 20g
6 BCAA Tabs

Post Workout - 1 Scoop Pro Recover + 2 scoops whey
6 BCAA tabs

I just wanted to get a solid list of what and when I should take everything. Can we go over it once more so I have it clear please?

Hope that's ok

Westy

Did you read this link?

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=3395

I use chocolate milk or breakfast cereals at the moment straight after training & I find they both work :lol:

Pre workout CHO wise should be just enough for energy but not too much that you release too much insulin & have a bit energy slump midway through. I used to like porridge years ago around 2 hours before with a banana. These days because of work I just use what I can & what is handy :lol:
"If you don't have conditioning it doesn't matter how big your muscles are they ain't gonna reach their full potential!"

21st century Takism

"wyrd bið ful aræd" Destiny is Everything
Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Melas Zomos » Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:01 pm

BCAA'S

Generally I follow:
2.5g-4g 3-4x a day on non training days
Training days
5g upon waking, 2.5g 90 min before workout, 5g at beginning of workout, 5g sleep

I will add a little more if I feel recovery is going to be an issue and post workout too, of course all these ratios are dependent upon my supply in the cupboard :mrgreen:

Just have not had success with the BCAA tree and Money tree I planted out back. They are growing, just not producing? I think I got hosed at the garden store :-k
Melas Zomos
Lochagos
Lochagos

Postby westy » Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:24 pm

Ok great thanks for that guys I will start to put these things into use.
westy
Helot
Helot

Postby Cookie » Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:38 pm

westy wrote:Ok great thanks for that guys I will start to put these things into use.

Your welcome and we look forward to seeing the results and any feedback you can give us.

Feel free to post up the footage of your exercise form if you still would like some help on that side of things.
"If you don't have conditioning it doesn't matter how big your muscles are they ain't gonna reach their full potential!"

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby westy » Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:46 pm

Yeah I will do I just need to get it filmed and then work out how to upload it!
westy
Helot
Helot

Postby Cookie » Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:20 pm

westy wrote:Yeah I will do I just need to get it filmed and then work out how to upload it!

You should have a cable to plug into your video device & computer. Then just upload the file onto youtube.

If you get stuck or want it editing down you can use Yousendit & shoot it over to me & I`ll sort it for you if need be.

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Previous

Return to Nutrition