It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:05 am
Change font size

Nutrition

Ideal protein powder blend?

Syssitia : The communal & military mess of adult Spartan warriors

Moderator: Moderators

Ideal protein powder blend?

Postby Melas Zomos » Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:50 pm

Recently I toyed with creating my own protein powder blend. I just have not been happy with the choices out on the market, whether it be added vitamins and minerals or sweeteners.
In the US we have a couple of companies that allow you to create your own blend and I have been making use of The protein factory inc.
http://proteinfactory.com/shop/home.php

What blend of proteins do you feel would make the ideal protein powder (for an athlete)?

My last experiment, which I pretty happy with, was:
25% Aussie Caseinate
50% CFM Whey Isolate
10% Hydrolzed 1400
15% Rilose (this is a brown rice carb that I used to act as a sweetener)
The only additives I had was Aminogen and Chocolate (un-sweetened).

I probably need to bump the Rilose up to 20-25%.
“The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.” Citizen G’Kar
Melas Zomos
Lochagos
Lochagos

Re: Ideal protein powder blend?

Postby Melas Zomos » Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:54 pm

Also any thoughts on Rilose?

Rilose has a high rate of digestion which will in turn will cause a greater insulin spike, thus helping nutrients, specifically peptides travel through the blood stream faster causing a greater recovery rate. And of course this means a greater increase of muscle growth.

Scientific description
A high quality carbohydrate made from brown rice. The brown rice carb is 97% glucose making digestion of this product almost immediately after taken. It is 100% natural. No chemicals are used to make the product. It is sweet to the taste, similar sweetness like dextrose. It mixes instantly with a spoon and dissolves completely in water.

Bodybuilding and Athletic Supplementation Description.
Unlike Maltodextrin, Dextrose, and Waxy Maize, which are made from corn, Rilose comes from rice, which is much more digestible than corn. Corn has a very, very, low absorption rate. Hence we can suggest that Rilose will cause a greater insulin spike than corn derived powders. The level of a products glycemic index rating is sometimes determined by the amount of that certain carb. For example 30 grams of glucose will have a GI rating of about 80, whereas 100 g of glucose will have a GI rating of 100. But we are thinking that the Dextrose and Maltodextrin, or the latest fad, Waxy Maize, being made from corn is not even being digested completely. Thus taking in 50 grams of Dextrose might only have a 50% absorption rate. (if you get cramps from these products this is why). Rice on the other hand is very digestible. Thus taking in 50 grams, 48 are going to be digested. Comparing the corn vs. rice carbs we can say that rice carbs are going to be more effective at raising insulin levels. An anabolic hormone that when utilized properly post workout can increase recovery, hence increasing muscle growth.

Usage.
Use Rilose like you would any common carbohydrate. For muscle building take in 50 to 75 grams post workout with either 10 grams of PeptoPro or 25 grams of hydrolyzed 1400. Creatine should also be utilized when possible with Rilose.

Keep in mind that the above is based on Alex Rogers’ (president of ProteinFactory.com) theories, not facts. These are merely suggestions about corn vs. rice powders and not facts. Alex Rogers theories about Rilose can be wrong and it is up to the consumer to make up his own mind. Bodybuilding supplementation is all about trial and error and seeing what works best for you. Everyone is different.

http://proteinfactory.com/shop/product.php?productid=970&cat=0&page=1
“The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.” Citizen G’Kar
Melas Zomos
Lochagos
Lochagos

Postby Cookie » Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:23 am

I use hemp protein but its quite a funky taste & not for everyone.

Post training I`ll chug down some chocolate milk or eat a bowl of cereal with lots of milk in there.

Going by what you`ve posted I would have just thrown in glucose powder rather than Rilose which I would guess is dearer. And the Rilose would only be of benefit (IMHO) in that mix if the drink was only consumed after training. Otherwise your just getting an unnecessary insulin spike.

Cassienate is a good choice but I always thought that was favoured as a bed time protein shake because of its slow digestibility. Taking it after training wouldn`t be worthwhile I would have thought because most people throw back a shake then eat solid food around 2 hours later.

Keep in mind that the above is based on Alex Rogers’ (president of ProteinFactory.com) theories, not facts. These are merely suggestions about corn vs. rice powders and not facts. Alex Rogers theories about Rilose can be wrong and it is up to the consumer to make up his own mind. Bodybuilding supplementation is all about trial and error and seeing what works best for you. Everyone is different.

^^^^^I didn`t like all that^^^^^^^

I chatted with a bloke once who was very against the use of corn based carbohydrate powders because of them not fully digesting because the product would clump up inside peoples stomachs. These same people would use insulin to "shuttle" the extra nutrients into the muscles & this scared the pants of him because he said they were playing Russian roulette is not enough carbs were digested & released into the blood stream.
"If you don't have conditioning it doesn't matter how big your muscles are they ain't gonna reach their full potential!"

21st century Takism

"wyrd bið ful aræd" Destiny is Everything
Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Melas Zomos » Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:49 pm

Cookie wrote:I use hemp protein but its quite a funky taste & not for everyone.

I can certainly give it a shot, can't be worse than some of the stuff I have tried.

Cookie wrote:Post training I`ll chug down some chocolate milk or eat a bowl of cereal with lots of milk in there.

I too drink a bunch of Raw Milk through the day. Often I add the powder, just to get a little extra protein. Post training for me usually consists of Raw milk/scoop of protein/spoonfull of beepollen/spoonfull of frieze dried acai/spoonfull of goji powder. This is followed by solid foods, usually steak/rice/vegis about 1.5 hrs later.

Cookie wrote:Going by what you`ve posted I would have just thrown in glucose powder rather than Rilose which I would guess is dearer. And the Rilose would only be of benefit (IMHO) in that mix if the drink was only consumed after training. Otherwise your just getting an unnecessary insulin spike.

Makes sense, and yes I do want to avoid that spike. But the glucose powder is corn based is it not? Which then conflicts with the last statement?
Used to use a little honey, perhaps I should just return to that or nothing at all. Heck maybe raw sugar would be an option in a small quantity?

Cookie wrote:Cassienate is a good choice but I always thought that was favoured as a bed time protein shake because of its slow digestibility. Taking it after training wouldn`t be worthwhile I would have thought because most people throw back a shake then eat solid food around 2 hours later.

Yes it is. I was just trying to create a single all purpose protein for simplicity. I can certainly order different formulas for different times.

Cookie wrote:

^^^^^I didn`t like all that^^^^^^^

I chatted with a bloke once who was very against the use of corn based carbohydrate powders because of them not fully digesting because the product would clump up inside peoples stomachs. These same people would use insulin to "shuttle" the extra nutrients into the muscles & this scared the pants of him because he said they were playing Russian roulette is not enough carbs were digested & released into the blood stream.

Oh yea, I have known fellows that play around with insulin. Little to risky in my opinion, but then I am sure they have said the same about some of the stuff I do :-k
Have not heard that though, heard other things about corn based powders though. Will keep it in mind.
Melas Zomos
Lochagos
Lochagos

Postby westy » Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:13 am

You're not kidding! I bought a bag of that and could barely drink it!
westy
Helot
Helot

Postby samurai69 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:23 am

westy wrote:

You're not kidding! I bought a bag of that and could barely drink it!

way better to smoke it!!! :twisted:
Ephor - one of five powerful civil magistrates in Spartan government, elected annually by the Assembly.

"I thought I was hard done by, when I had no shoes, until I saw a man who had no feet"]

http://www.newspartangym.co.nr
samurai69
Ephor
Ephor

Postby Cookie » Sat Jan 15, 2011 3:30 pm

westy wrote:You're not kidding! I bought a bag of that and could barely drink it!

Which brand did you get?

I made some bread with it once, not many would eat green bread :lol:
"If you don't have conditioning it doesn't matter how big your muscles are they ain't gonna reach their full potential!"

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Cookie » Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:15 am

Bumping for Scott`s views please. :grin:

I use this hemp http://www.mybikefood.com/shop-online/b ... powder.php

And they also do a flavoured version through another part of their company but I have yet to try this one http://www.mygymfood.com/shop-online/gy ... powder.php

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Scott » Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:01 am

I dont believe that they make a whole lot of difference tbh. I dont think they make or break the deal.
Ive been using L-Leucine with whey lately and thats about as complicated as it gets for me.

I know some companies have produced blends for a marketing point of view rather than anything else, everytime we have a salesman in from a supp company I do my best to interrogate them about their products..... the outcome tends to be very disapointing.
FIGHTING SOLVES EVERYTHING

Get Dropped But I'm Right Back In

Wendy Who Web Development
Scott
Dioscuri
Dioscuri

Return to Nutrition