It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:14 am
Change font size

Nutrition

choc milk

Syssitia : The communal & military mess of adult Spartan warriors

Moderator: Moderators

Re: choc milk

Postby Cookie » Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:25 pm

And don`t forget the large egg custard to go with the chocolate milk...oh heaven :mrgreen:
"If you don't have conditioning it doesn't matter how big your muscles are they ain't gonna reach their full potential!"

21st century Takism

"wyrd bið ful aræd" Destiny is Everything
Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Melas Zomos » Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:44 pm

Scott wrote:I gathered from the report I was reading that it was the natural ratio of the milk combined with simple sugars which made it a decent drink, The whey / casein ratio in the milk?

This I could see, but what I was looking for was the benefits of cocoa added to the milk specifically for post training purposes. So, taste aside, sugar + milk may provide the same results.
“The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.” Citizen G’Kar
Melas Zomos
Lochagos
Lochagos

Postby Cookie » Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:34 pm

Just love this chocolate milk
"If you don't have conditioning it doesn't matter how big your muscles are they ain't gonna reach their full potential!"

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Scott » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:45 pm

Cookie wrote:Just love this chocolate milk

Looks tasty :grin:

I notice they bill them as the 'perfect' ratio. I think all of them were 2:1 (or thereabout) except the choc which is 4:1.

I finished my choc milk and Im just adding whey to milk post workout now.
FIGHTING SOLVES EVERYTHING

Get Dropped But I'm Right Back In

Wendy Who Web Development
Scott
Dioscuri
Dioscuri

Postby Cookie » Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:44 pm

Scott wrote:Looks tasty :grin:

I notice they bill them as the 'perfect' ratio. I think all of them were 2:1 (or thereabout) except the choc which is 4:1.

I finished my choc milk and Im just adding whey to milk post workout now.

They are quite nice & yesterday I came across another that I used to use about 15-20 years ago, Dunn`s River nourishment...You get them in a tin can with a ring pull. Very heavy in calories at around 60grms carbs/sugars per can or a 3:1 ratio.

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Melas Zomos » Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:17 pm

Would it not be more advantageous to make your own blend?
That way you could use a high grade cacoa and get the benefits of chocolate rather than relying on a manufacturer who in all likelihood is going to have to cut a few corners to make a profit?
You could also use high grade raw sugar or honey to sweeten while adding some whey to boost the protein content if desired.
This of course defeats the quick and easy approach.
“The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.” Citizen G’Kar
Melas Zomos
Lochagos
Lochagos

Postby Cookie » Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:10 pm

Melas Zomos wrote:Would it not be more advantageous to make your own blend?
That way you could use a high grade cacoa and get the benefits of chocolate rather than relying on a manufacturer who in all likelihood is going to have to cut a few corners to make a profit?
You could also use high grade raw sugar or honey to sweeten while adding some whey to boost the protein content if desired.
This of course defeats the quick and easy approach.

I`ll be looking into that at some point.

Trouble I have with it is the high fat content of the Cacoa which "could" interfere with overall speed of digestion.

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Scott » Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:15 pm

what is the benefit from using a high grade raw sugar / honey opposed to a similar low grade sugar, what different effect does it have on the body?

Scott
Dioscuri
Dioscuri

Postby Cookie » Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:25 pm

Scott wrote:what is the benefit from using a high grade raw sugar / honey opposed to a similar low grade sugar, what different effect does it have on the body?

You will find other "nutrients" in there that have not been boiled off in the processing.

A while back I did use black strap molasses as my main post workout sugar source because of its supposed high nutrient content.

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Cookie » Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:26 pm

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Scott » Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:29 pm

what nutrients do you need from the sugar at post workout? is the goal not just creating an insulin spike, whether you use dextrose, honey, jelly babies or whatever.
does the cost of the more expensive alternatives justify what you actually get from using the more expensive ingredients?
I reckon overall you're as well with a ripe tesco value banana @ 25p.

Scott
Dioscuri
Dioscuri

Postby Cookie » Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:33 pm

Scott wrote:what nutrients do you need from the sugar at post workout? is the goal not just creating an insulin spike, whether you use dextrose, honey, jelly babies or whatever.
does the cost of the more expensive alternatives justify what you actually get from using the more expensive ingredients?
I reckon overall you're as well with a ripe tesco value banana @ 25p.

White products, flour, sugar, are notorious for stripping the nutrients they do not contain from other parts of your body. B vitamins, calcium to name two. So if they are already nutrient dense your getting a double bang for you buck & reassurances they are not causing any negative side effects.

Why just have an insulin spike with sugars when you can have an insulin spike with "nutrients" which the insulin will shuttle into the muscles.

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

PreviousNext

Return to Nutrition