Change font size

Nutrition

choc milk

Syssitia : The communal & military mess of adult Spartan warriors

Moderator: Moderators

Re: choc milk

Postby Scott » Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:45 pm

Cookie wrote:
Why just have an insulin spike with sugars when you can have an insulin spike with "nutrients" which the insulin will shuttle into the muscles.

I see what youre saying. Milk has calcium, b vits, vit c etc, the average whey has shit loads in it. I dont know if whatever is in the more organic sugars will give you a massive benefit over something cheap and cheerful like milk, whey and a banana.
maybe.... dunno. Maybe Im just too tight to spend the cash on it :-k
FIGHTING SOLVES EVERYTHING

Get Dropped But I'm Right Back In

Wendy Who Web Development
Scott
Dioscuri
Dioscuri

Postby Cookie » Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:10 pm

Scott wrote:I see what youre saying. Milk has calcium, b vits, vit c etc, the average whey has shit loads in it. I dont know if whatever is in the more organic sugars will give you a massive benefit over something cheap and cheerful like milk, whey and a banana.
maybe.... dunno. Maybe Im just too tight to spend the cash on it :-k

Adding decent honey to your milk will only add to the overall nutrient values in a good way. Using cheap pish sugar will give the desired spike but rob the body of other things.

Banana`s are best used before. Using after would not give you the desired spike because of the fats & fibre naturally within the fruit.

Whey, I`m reading, is getting a bit of a bad rap for all the gastro distresses its causes with long term use.
"If you don't have conditioning it doesn't matter how big your muscles are they ain't gonna reach their full potential!"

21st century Takism

"wyrd bið ful aræd" Destiny is Everything
Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Scott » Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:58 pm

Adding decent honey to your milk will only add to the overall nutrient values in a good way

yeah, no argument there.
waterbury recomends a ripe banana post workout in one of his books. The more ripe the better. not that coz he said it in a book then its the thing to do but thats where I picked it up from.

I might get some decent honey to try it out as the majority of the time I go light on the carbs post workout. Ive spent too much time in gyms where you see fat dudes necking massive 5000cal recovevery drinks after expending aboyt 200 cals in a workout ;-)
dunno if I'd mix it in the milk but I suppose you could just eat it off the spoon then drink some milk / whey?

Scott
Dioscuri
Dioscuri

Postby Melas Zomos » Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:58 am

Honey is definitely the way to go.
Make sure it is RAW honey and the more local the better as it will also help with any allergies and support local business.
Taking it by the spoonful is the way to go to as it will just sit at the bottom of the milk glass and not mix well.

White sugar is not good. It is just empty calories that reek havoc on the body. As with anything processed the body struggles with it. It also contains phosphoric Acid, sulfur dioxide, and formic acid in lieu of phosphorus, calcium, iron, magnesium, and potassium which are found in raw sugar. Sure their is a price difference, but for the amount you will be using post workout I would not consider it an issue.
“The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.” Citizen G’Kar
Melas Zomos
Lochagos
Lochagos

Postby Melas Zomos » Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:59 am

Cookie wrote:Cacoa

:shock: Too many choices my brain is going to explode!
“The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.” Citizen G’Kar
Melas Zomos
Lochagos
Lochagos

Postby Scott » Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:46 am

Just to say.... I dont actually eat white sugar to my knowledge btw ;-)

I had a look at some honey last night, some of it was like £8.00 for a small jar :shock:

Scott
Dioscuri
Dioscuri

Postby HAIL PAYASO » Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:31 am

Scott wrote:Just to say.... I dont actually eat white sugar to my knowledge btw ;-)

I had a look at some honey last night, some of it was like £8.00 for a small jar :shock:

Start raising bees =D
HAIL PAYASO
Helot
Helot

Postby Cookie » Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:55 am

Scott wrote:Just to say.... I dont actually eat white sugar to my knowledge btw ;-)

Didn`t you used to have a liking for a certain chocolate bar on Saturday nights :-k

Scott wrote:I had a look at some honey last night, some of it was like £8.00 for a small jar :shock:

I`ve been using Rowse recently because of the price rises with some of the other varieties but our local butchers farm shop have started selling a variety which is literally produced within 5 minutes of our house & that comes in at just under £4 for a 340g jar. This lasts around 2 weeks.

I bet you could have been looking at one of the Manuka varieties.

HAIL PAYASO wrote:Start raising bees =D

If I had the space I would. Have had honey right out of the hive & on the table within a few minutes & the taste is devine :grin:
"If you don't have conditioning it doesn't matter how big your muscles are they ain't gonna reach their full potential!"

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Scott » Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:09 am

Cookie wrote:

Didn`t you used to have a liking for a certain chocolate bar on Saturday nights :-k

what happens on cheat nights stays on cheat nights ;-)

Scott
Dioscuri
Dioscuri

Postby Cookie » Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:45 am

Scott wrote:what happens on cheat nights stays on cheat nights ;-)

:lol: :lol: :lol:

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Cookie » Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:49 am

Melas Zomos wrote: :shock: Too many choices my brain is going to explode!

Put an order in. Will let you know how it pans out :grin:

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Scott » Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:06 pm

so how would a organic type choc / honey / milk approach measure up against a current recovery supp such as pro-recover or phd 2:1 etc?
those types of supps contain vit c, vit e and the other obvious stuff but,I dont think contain any other vits. They tend to use glucose / dextrose.

Scott
Dioscuri
Dioscuri

PreviousNext

Return to Nutrition