It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:42 pm
Change font size

Nutrition

choc milk

Syssitia : The communal & military mess of adult Spartan warriors

Moderator: Moderators

choc milk

Postby Scott » Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:00 pm

choc milk post workout.... not new, I know. I think cookie is on it as well but I was just reading an article about it and the study they done on it (probably more been done) but the training they used in the test was 2 hours long and tested against a carb only drink.
I wouldnt have thought the average weights / training session would last 2 hours so would that make the ratios off? youre not needing so much simple sugars after an average weights session as you might after the 2 hours they used?

you might be looking at 50g carbs to get 20g protein with the choc milk (roughly).
FIGHTING SOLVES EVERYTHING

Get Dropped But I'm Right Back In

Wendy Who Web Development
Scott
Dioscuri
Dioscuri

Re: choc milk

Postby Cookie » Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:31 pm

Quick reply:

Isn`t the ideal ration after training 3 or 4 to 1 in favour of CHO over Pro?

By the time I have warmed up, hit weights/cardio or sprints then stretched I`m pushing 90+ minutes some days so 120 isn`t that far off when you put it all together.
"If you don't have conditioning it doesn't matter how big your muscles are they ain't gonna reach their full potential!"

21st century Takism

"wyrd bið ful aræd" Destiny is Everything
Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Scott » Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:50 pm

Ive read that the 4:1 ratio is still under debate between nutritionalists. You can find favourable reports from 2:1 up to 4:1 tbh!

Your workouts may well require the higher ratio.... I wouldnt be surprised! but in general I'll wager the average person burns less glycogen than they might think.

Scott
Dioscuri
Dioscuri

Postby Cookie » Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:15 pm

Scott wrote:Ive read that the 4:1 ratio is still under debate between nutritionalists. You can find favourable reports from 2:1 up to 4:1 tbh!

This is what annoys me so much, everything is always "under debate". Geez we`ve been at this game for over 100 years with science taking an interest & they still argue about what is right.

Scott wrote:Your workouts may well require the higher ratio.... I wouldnt be surprised! but in general I'll wager the average person burns less glycogen than they might think.

I dread to think some days what I burn through work & training. More often than not I do believe that my lack of progress does come down to not knowing/getting my overall calorie consumption ratios down to what I need for any given day.

BTW to days chocolate milk went down a treat :mrgreen:
"If you don't have conditioning it doesn't matter how big your muscles are they ain't gonna reach their full potential!"

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Melas Zomos » Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:19 pm

What type of chocolate powder are you guys using?
“The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.” Citizen G’Kar
Melas Zomos
Lochagos
Lochagos

Postby Cookie » Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:21 pm

Melas Zomos wrote:What type of chocolate powder are you guys using?

Not powder, just bog standard chocolate milk from the chilled section in supermarket.

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Melas Zomos » Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:41 pm

Cookie wrote:
Melas Zomos wrote:What type of chocolate powder are you guys using?

Not powder, just bog standard chocolate milk from the chilled section in supermarket.

So we are talking about sweetened chocolate milk?

Sugar+cocoa+milk and its sugar(lactose)?
“The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.” Citizen G’Kar
Melas Zomos
Lochagos
Lochagos

Postby Cookie » Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:01 pm

Melas Zomos wrote:So we are talking about sweetened chocolate milk?

From my bottle:

Semi skimmed milk (93%)
Sugar
Reduced cocoa powder (1%)
Milk chocolate flakes

Nutritional information:
Per 100ml
Kcal:75
Protein:3.5g
Carbohydrate:11g (10.2g sugar)
Fat:1.9g

Rheo Blair (remember him?) used to be a big believer in the use of lactose as a source opf carbohydrates.

Once I`ve had my milk I leave it 1-2 hours then eat a solid meal.

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Melas Zomos » Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:34 pm

Cookie wrote:
Melas Zomos wrote:So we are talking about sweetened chocolate milk?

From my bottle:

Semi skimmed milk (93%)
Sugar
Reduced cocoa powder (1%)
Milk chocolate flakes

Nutritional information:
Per 100ml
Kcal:75
Protein:3.5g
Carbohydrate:11g (10.2g sugar)
Fat:1.9g

Rheo Blair (remember him?) used to be a big believer in the use of lactose as a source opf carbohydrates.

Once I`ve had my milk I leave it 1-2 hours then eat a solid meal.

100ml???? What are you doing shots :finga:

So you have no way of altering the ratio anyway using pre-made chocolate milk unless you add a second source of protein or carbs?

Is it the cocoa combined with milk that they are a saying works best, or cocoa + sugar + milk that they say is the best combination?
Melas Zomos
Lochagos
Lochagos

Postby Cookie » Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:06 pm

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Melas Zomos » Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:53 pm

All those studies tell me is the importance of protein post workout.
Anything has to improve performance more than those "gel shots" which are nothing more than sewage water by the time you mix it.

Don't get me wrong, I fully endorse CM post recovery. I have been making use of a CM cocktail for years, but I tend to add a scoop of additional protein to milk and keep the sugar levels down a bit, in essence change the ratio to my needs.

I also agree CM is the most economical and best tasting solution at present.

I did not necessarily like the study, and that was even before I saw it was sponsored and a grant provided by the National Dairy Council, and National Fluid Milk Processor Promotion Board as well as one of the authors serving on the National Dairy Council :mrgreen:
They should have also included a test group with only straight milk.
But thanks for sharing, it was an interesting read.

btw I have a cousin in the business. You want to talk about work, whoa. Milking the cows is the easy part.
Melas Zomos
Lochagos
Lochagos

Postby Scott » Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:01 am

Melas Zomos wrote:Don't get me wrong, I fully endorse CM post recovery. I have been making use of a CM cocktail for years, but I tend to add a scoop of additional protein to milk and keep the sugar levels down a bit, in essence change the ratio to my needs.

I gathered from the report I was reading that it was the natural ratio of the milk combined with simple sugars which made it a decent drink, The whey / casein ratio in the milk?

Scott
Dioscuri
Dioscuri

Next

Return to Nutrition