It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:46 pm
Change font size

Nutrition

choc milk

Syssitia : The communal & military mess of adult Spartan warriors

Moderator: Moderators

Re: choc milk

Postby Cookie » Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:42 pm

Scott wrote:so how would a organic type choc / honey / milk approach measure up against a current recovery supp such as pro-recover or phd 2:1 etc?
those types of supps contain vit c, vit e and the other obvious stuff but,I dont think contain any other vits. They tend to use glucose / dextrose.

Your vitamin c can be obtained through having lemon/lime juice in your water as you train ;-)

I would have to do a search to see what the "average" nutritional content of honey was in terms of minerals etc.

Quick search for Cacao

Then you have what ever milk contains.
"If you don't have conditioning it doesn't matter how big your muscles are they ain't gonna reach their full potential!"

21st century Takism

"wyrd bið ful aræd" Destiny is Everything
Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Cookie » Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:55 pm

Cacao nibs.

I`ve had a number of things off that company/seller with no complaints yet about quality.
"If you don't have conditioning it doesn't matter how big your muscles are they ain't gonna reach their full potential!"

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Cookie » Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:42 pm

Forgot to answer this point earlier.

Scott wrote:I might get some decent honey to try it out as the majority of the time I go light on the carbs post workout. Ive spent too much time in gyms where you see fat dudes necking massive 5000cal recovevery drinks after expending aboyt 200 cals in a workout ;-)

Apparently Charlie Francis was another coach who did not believe in an insulin spike for his athletes post training.

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Melas Zomos » Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:37 pm

Scott wrote:Just to say.... I dont actually eat white sugar to my knowledge btw ;-)

I had a look at some honey last night, some of it was like £8.00 for a small jar :shock:

Yeah, it is not cheap. The bees are having a hard time of late with pests and other things. The best guess anyone can come up with is all the Wifi towers inter-fearing with their patterns, and now the gmo crops.
Look on the bright side, the stuff has an indefinite shelf life.
“The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.” Citizen G’Kar
Melas Zomos
Lochagos
Lochagos

Postby Melas Zomos » Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:42 pm

Cookie wrote:
Melas Zomos wrote: :shock: Too many choices my brain is going to explode!

Put an order in. Will let you know how it pans out :grin:

That would be super cool, as I have not found "The Powder" that I am happy with yet. Tried about 3 different cocoa powders so far.

I also ordered some plain whey protein, no flavoring or sweeteners what so ever to see if I can come up with that magical combination of milk/cocoa/honey or sugar. As I said before the honey will be tough as it does not mix well, but that is the choice I want to make work somehow.
“The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.” Citizen G’Kar
Melas Zomos
Lochagos
Lochagos

Postby Cookie » Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:59 pm

Melas Zomos wrote:That would be super cool, as I have not found "The Powder" that I am happy with yet. Tried about 3 different cocoa powders so far.

I also ordered some plain whey protein, no flavoring or sweeteners what so ever to see if I can come up with that magical combination of milk/cocoa/honey or sugar. As I said before the honey will be tough as it does not mix well, but that is the choice I want to make work somehow.

Cocoa powder wise I use Bournville`s. Very dark & high quality.

With the honey a possibility would be to either warm the milk or warm the honey to allow it to disperse more easily.

And before you ask:

Yes I used to have warm protein milkshakes after training or before bed ;-)

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Cookie » Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:06 pm

2 bars of Cacao arrived.

Very strong & bitter tasting :supz:

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Melas Zomos » Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:32 pm

Cookie wrote:2 bars of Cacao arrived.

Very strong & bitter tasting :supz:

Good thing they are bitter, otherwise they might grow feet and happen to land in someone else's stomach.

At least you received yours, I ran out of protein and was expecting my unflavored stuff to come in as I got cacoa, and come to find out it was suppose ably lost in transit. I asked them to re-ship and now the are out of it for two weeks :evil:

Keep us posted on how it mixes. Between all of us we should be able to find an ideal mix
Melas Zomos
Lochagos
Lochagos

Postby Cookie » Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:12 pm

Melas Zomos wrote:Good thing they are bitter, otherwise they might grow feet and happen to land in someone else's stomach.

If the wife had chance it would all end up in her stomach :lol:

Melas Zomos wrote:At least you received yours, I ran out of protein and was expecting my unflavored stuff to come in as I got cacoa, and come to find out it was suppose ably lost in transit. I asked them to re-ship and now the are out of it for two weeks :evil:

Been there & its a right pain in the ass having to wait. Sometimes life is easier if you can just buy all your goods from the high street rather than the internet.

Which cacao did you get?

I have seen it in powder form which would make it nice & easy to add to drinks.

Melas Zomos wrote:Keep us posted on how it mixes. Between all of us we should be able to find an ideal mix

Will do.

When I get back to full training I`ll just be grating some off the block into the milk with a little local honey.

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Melas Zomos » Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:19 pm

Cookie wrote:Which cacao did you get?

One is a powder from Foods Alive, it is super powdery and bland and just clumps up when mixed.
Another powder I bought I forget the name, but it is more granular and mixes better than the above. I will get the name when I go shopping this weekend. It might show potential.

I also bought a sweetened disc of Tazo cayenne chocolate with the intentions of making hot chocolate for the old lady on v-day, but I came down with a crazy cold that knocked me on my bum and nothing got done that day so it is still hidden in the cabinet. ;-)
Melas Zomos
Lochagos
Lochagos

Postby Cookie » Sun Feb 20, 2011 4:59 pm

Twice now I`ve eaten a decent sized chunk of Cacoa & noticed it mentally perks you up & puts a little edge on focus.

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Melas Zomos » Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:39 am

Cookie wrote:Twice now I`ve eaten a decent sized chunk of Cacoa & noticed it mentally perks you up & puts a little edge on focus.

Unsweetened or sweetened?
Melas Zomos
Lochagos
Lochagos

PreviousNext

Return to Nutrition