It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:05 am
Change font size

Nutrition

Frozen v fresh

Syssitia : The communal & military mess of adult Spartan warriors

Moderator: Moderators

Frozen v fresh

Postby Savage » Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:06 pm

Just wondering as the price of fresh fruit is rather stuiply dear, is frozen fruit lower in the goodness of its fresh counterparts??
Will just be used for making smoothies so not for eating!

Cheers Jonny
Savage
Helot
Helot

Re: Frozen v fresh

Postby samurai69 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:06 am

in theory its fresher as its frozen before the main goodness is gone , i find frozen fruit a bit tasteless unless its mixed in smoothies or made into quick icecream etc
Ephor - one of five powerful civil magistrates in Spartan government, elected annually by the Assembly.

"I thought I was hard done by, when I had no shoes, until I saw a man who had no feet"]

http://www.newspartangym.co.nr
samurai69
Ephor
Ephor

Postby Scott » Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:59 am

Ive had frozen berries before but they dont taste as good although they are fresh though, like sam said. If they were in a drink you wouldnt be able to tell the diff.

Watch the smoothies though, Im not a fan at all. When you juice you remove a lot of fibre and can be left with shit loads of sugar and a drink really dense in calories. It may be fructose or whatever but Ive seen smoothies made with more fruit than you would eat in a few days. Shit loads of sugar, natural or not, is shit loads of sugar in my book. Better off eating the whole fruit and less of it imo.
FIGHTING SOLVES EVERYTHING

Get Dropped But I'm Right Back In

Wendy Who Web Development
Scott
Dioscuri
Dioscuri

Postby Savage » Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:30 am

Scott wrote:Ive had frozen berries before but they dont taste as good although they are fresh though, like sam said. If they were in a drink you wouldnt be able to tell the diff.

Watch the smoothies though, Im not a fan at all. When you juice you remove a lot of fibre and can be left with shit loads of sugar and a drink really dense in calories. It may be fructose or whatever but Ive seen smoothies made with more fruit than you would eat in a few days. Shit loads of sugar, natural or not, is shit loads of sugar in my book. Better off eating the whole fruit and less of it imo.

Would say a bannana and a handful of berries with a dolop of natural yogurt be to much fruit and im only talking one of these a day if even maybe every two days?
Savage
Helot
Helot

Postby samurai69 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:28 pm

Savage wrote:
Scott wrote:Ive had frozen berries before but they dont taste as good although they are fresh though, like sam said. If they were in a drink you wouldnt be able to tell the diff.

Would say a bannana and a handful of berries with a dolop of natural yogurt be to much fruit and im only talking one of these a day if even maybe every two days?

it would be ok

smoothies dont lose that much fibre as its all pulped up, its juicers that remove some of the fibre

i dont like smoothies that much, but still have a smoothie maker and do use it

fruit, crushed ice, yoghurt, cottage cheese splash of raw milk and dolop of honey.......ok in my books

but i am ok with sugars and fructose anyway

Ephor - one of five powerful civil magistrates in Spartan government, elected annually by the Assembly.

"I thought I was hard done by, when I had no shoes, until I saw a man who had no feet"]

http://www.newspartangym.co.nr
samurai69
Ephor
Ephor

Postby Scott » Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:58 pm

depends on the purpose I suppose. If I was looking to increase cals Id use smoothies maybe. Im not though so I dont. Id sooner eat a banana or whatever than blend it with other stuff but the one you mentioned doesnt sound too heavy.
FIGHTING SOLVES EVERYTHING

Get Dropped But I'm Right Back In

Wendy Who Web Development
Scott
Dioscuri
Dioscuri

Postby Cookie » Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:36 pm

As has already been said, frozen is "supposed" to be superior due to it being frozen within a few hours of picking.

I use a lot of frozen berries blended with cottage cheese & a little natural yoghurt.
"If you don't have conditioning it doesn't matter how big your muscles are they ain't gonna reach their full potential!"

21st century Takism

"wyrd bið ful aræd" Destiny is Everything
Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Melas Zomos » Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:26 pm

I have to disagree.
Given equivalent sources I feel fresh is far better than frozen.
They key of course is the source.

Produce is given ratings:
AAA
AA
A
B
C

If you are comparing AAA frozen with B or C fresh then I would say frozen. If you are comparing AAA frozen with AA or A fresh then I would say fresh.
A lot also depends on where it is grown and what type of farming practices are involved. I know a few of you are rolling your eyes, but it does make a difference. Some of the best produce in the US comes from California and they rarely export AAA to even other states, preferring to keep it in house.

I would rather see organic over non too.
“The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.” Citizen G’Kar
Melas Zomos
Lochagos
Lochagos

Postby Cookie » Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:13 pm

The argument for frozen over fresh even within the scientific community has always been that fresh food is usually picked from the plant/soil sooner so that it can ripen on transit. Frozen food is not.

Fresh food starts to loose its nutritional value from the moment it is picked. Freezing stops/slows this rate down.

If I lived next door to a seller that grew food that I could buy & pick my own daily I would choose that option above all else. As if I use both fresh & frozen depending on availability, time of year/season & for the convenience that I can cook much smaller quantities using the frozen variety rather than partially chopping something up because only I eat that vegetable.
"If you don't have conditioning it doesn't matter how big your muscles are they ain't gonna reach their full potential!"

21st century Takism

"wyrd bið ful aræd" Destiny is Everything
Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Return to Nutrition