It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:12 pm
Change font size

Nutrition

bcaa

Syssitia : The communal & military mess of adult Spartan warriors

Moderator: Moderators

bcaa

Postby Scott » Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:13 pm

if you are using bcaa / leucine powder post / pre workout should they be taken on their own, mixed with water instead of in with a protein drink?
I think I read that bcaas take a while for the body to get them from whey so if you were planning on them being in the body quickly then its best not to mix them in a protein shake?
FIGHTING SOLVES EVERYTHING

Get Dropped But I'm Right Back In

Wendy Who Web Development
Scott
Dioscuri
Dioscuri

Re: bcaa

Postby Cookie » Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:15 pm

Did we ever get to the bottom of the:

"Should we/shouldn`t we use Leucine because of its supposed insulin release/spike qualities"?

I just mix mine up in some water, leave for 5-10 minutes to dissolve properly, then neck them.

Sometimes some creatine might get thrown in.
"If you don't have conditioning it doesn't matter how big your muscles are they ain't gonna reach their full potential!"

21st century Takism

"wyrd bið ful aræd" Destiny is Everything
Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Scott » Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:21 pm

Cookie wrote:"Should we/shouldn`t we use Leucine because of its supposed insulin release/spike qualities"?

we should be using leucine because of its capabilities to increase protein synthesis. :supz:

Im trying to experiment with the 4:1:1 ratio of it with bcaa but I dont know if the bcaa + leu can be mixed in with protein powder. On the one hand I can see it messing things up but on the other you need protein + carbs + leu to make it most effective so I guess it should be in with you post WO recovery drink..... thats probably what I'll do unless I hear different.

Scott
Dioscuri
Dioscuri

Postby Cookie » Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:32 pm

Scott wrote:we should be using leucine because of its capabilities to increase protein synthesis. :supz:

Im trying to experiment with the 4:1:1 ratio of it with bcaa but I dont know if the bcaa + leu can be mixed in with protein powder. On the one hand I can see it messing things up but on the other you need protein + carbs + leu to make it most effective so I guess it should be in with you post WO recovery drink..... thats probably what I'll do unless I hear different.

What about using the leu midway through the workout so that it is already in your system awaiting for the protein to hit your blood stream?
"If you don't have conditioning it doesn't matter how big your muscles are they ain't gonna reach their full potential!"

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Scott » Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:40 pm

Cookie wrote:
What about using the leu midway through the workout so that it is already in your system awaiting for the protein to hit your blood stream?

I 'think' that leu taken alone will deplete other bcaa's. I read that, I dont know how valid it is but its worth considering. The studies Ive looked at do go with the combination of pro/carb/leu blend, without that it wasnt as effective. I also think the 4:1:1 ratio of bcaa / leu is a factor.

Scott
Dioscuri
Dioscuri

Postby Cookie » Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:15 pm

Scott wrote:I 'think' that leu taken alone will deplete other bcaa's. I read that, I dont know how valid it is but its worth considering. The studies Ive looked at do go with the combination of pro/carb/leu blend, without that it wasnt as effective. I also think the 4:1:1 ratio of bcaa / leu is a factor.

So your going to use a 4:1 mix of BCAA`s then add leu then to that use a 2:1 ratio of pro to carbs?

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Scott » Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:13 pm

add extra leu to the bcaa for the 4:1:1 ratio of leucine:isoleucine:valine. I havent quite settled on what that 'super bcaa' mix will then go into but yeah, probably a 2:1 carb protein drink.
the carb protein drink is the part im not 100% on atm.
Lately Ive been using a milk, whey, leu, organic yoghurt drink post wo so I'll probably chuck it in that.
I suppose though I'll need to factor in the bcaa within the whey as well.

Scott
Dioscuri
Dioscuri

Postby Melas Zomos » Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:07 pm

Scott wrote:if you are using bcaa / leucine powder post / pre workout should they be taken on their own, mixed with water instead of in with a protein drink?
I think I read that bcaas take a while for the body to get them from whey so if you were planning on them being in the body quickly then its best not to mix them in a protein shake?

You can take them mixed in or separate.
Pre-workout I take them separate 30min before. Usually I just take a spooful dry and chase it with water. This works best for me.
Post workout I mix them in with the protein.
Either way they are already broken down as compared to the protein and will be absorbed faster, unless of course your mixing it with peptobismal or the like :mrgreen:
“The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.” Citizen G’Kar
Melas Zomos
Lochagos
Lochagos

Postby Scott » Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:18 pm

Melas Zomos wrote:Either way they are already broken down as compared to the protein and will be absorbed faster

Ah right, I wasnt sure about that part. Cheers, that makes things a bit easier ;-)

Scott
Dioscuri
Dioscuri

Return to Nutrition